Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEW 15" MBP - 2.0GHz quad i7 6490M w/ 256MB GDDR5 OR 2.2GHz quad i7 6750 w/ 1GB GDDR5

• 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 w/ AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB GDDR5

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 w/ AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

Votes: 26 78.8%

• Total voters

pooprscooper

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Use this $20 external case for the MBP's HD you're going to replace with an SSD: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/USB2/OWC_Express

As for the 3TB external, you buy the HD and external case separate.
$120 3TB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145493

Depending on how you format the drive for Win(NTFS) or Mac(HFS+) you can still read/write to the drive on your own.
  • OSX can read NTFS and read/write FAT32 on its own. To write to NTFS install Paragon NTFS for Mac.
  • To read/write HFS+(Mac) drives in Windows, use either MacDrive to write to it along with Windows directory spam or TransMac to keep the drive sandboxed from Windows writing crap all over it.

As for the quality, they're about the same. Just make sure you get the student discounted Apple Care(Warranty) within 12 months.

If you're planning on keeping the MBP clean because you intend to sell it in a couple years to make back some money, the difference between the two 15" models will probably only get you an extra $20 in 2 years. Only spend $340 for the slightly better video card if you want to. Both are capable of handling 1080P for your TV flawlessly. Like I said, there will be external Thunderbolt GPUs to upgrade with in another year or two that will make both video cards look like small fries anyways.

Last edited:

Ceebee1980

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
Chatsworth, CA
In the past, I didn't believe in "future-proofing."
However, after I bought a 2006 MBP when they came out, I really began to believe in it.

I was on a high with that computer for the first day or two, but I remember loading up Warcraft 3, and having to lower some settings from the get-go, and it was not in the least a high-end game.

From that point, it was just a sour experience on the graphics front. I could never play cutting edge games, or do high end video work. And the processor (core 1 duo/ core duo) seemed to bog down within 6 months and 1 os x upgrade.

My experience with the 2.2 ghz quadcore i7 w/ 6750m has been a lot better. I play Team Fortress 2 now, and while it's also a few games older than the laptop, it runs at maxed out settings with ease, and stays pretty cool.

I'd liken it to two cars, one with 5% more power. Of course, the gain is only small, but when you, say, put the A/C on, that 5% difference becomes more like a 7% difference, and each passenger you add from there makes the differences all the more noticable.

eC1990ho

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
If i wanted to play games on an external 23" monitor, 1920x1080
would I need the high end mbp or would the 6490m do?

I'm talking about SC2, maybe some blackops

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
what is this student discount and how does it work? im in the military so im sure i can get a government discount but it seems like everyone is getting the student one. im not a student and have no proof that i could be. save me money so i can buy my macbook.. ill even settle for a refurb with a glossy screen to get my macbook sooner (anti glares not that big of a deal to me just something extra i'd like to have because the regular screens might as well be a mirror).:eek:

orangepeel

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
If i wanted to play games on an external 23" monitor, 1920x1080
would I need the high end mbp or would the 6490m do?

I'm talking about SC2, maybe some blackops

The 6490m is terrible, it's barely faster then the integrated intelHD3000. At 1080p both could be playable at low settings. No guarantees though, you might have to lower the resolution as well. Also, the 6750m in the higher end mac isn't that great of a gpu to begin with. It's a midrange laptop gpu, which translate to a low end desktop gpu.

eC1990ho

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
The 6490m is terrible, it's barely faster then the integrated intelHD3000. At 1080p both could be playable at low settings. No guarantees though, you might have to lower the resolution as well. Also, the 6750m in the higher end mac isn't that great of a gpu to begin with. It's a midrange laptop gpu, which translate to a low end desktop gpu.

So basicly if I ever wanted to take advantage of having an external monitor for my gaming i'm bound to take the highend?

orangepeel

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
Yep. With the 6750m, at 1080p you could probably get 60fps with a mix of low-mostly mid settings in starcraft 2.

eC1990ho

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Yep. With the 6750m, at 1080p you could probably get 60fps with a mix of low-mostly mid settings in starcraft 2.

Ok I am quite used to playing on lower settings so that would suit me well :)
thanks for the input, looking forward to trying out my setup

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
How well does the AMD 6490M 256MB handle gaming ? with ones like Skyrim, GTA 4 ?

Not sure about others... but I have a 6490M, and with the default Bootcamp drivers, it actually handles Skyrim quite well.

In fact, aside from Shadows, AA, and AF, anything else can be maxed out, and the game runs extremely smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.