Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Last year my brother had his phone stolen out of the shipping box and replaced with something else so the weight was right. Took a minute for Verizon to figure out what to do to replace the phone since the package was “delivered”. It got sorted in the end but it took a few weeks or so.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Yea this is the primary reason I gave up years ago on the Pre-order delivery thing after my Pre-order for a 11 Pro went from 3 days to 44 day for the flagship phone. I get the confirmation e-mail of three days and then the next day it I get another e-mail slipping my order to 44 days. I march in to the apple store after spending a hour on hold at home. Order canceled and I got my new iPhone 11 Pro right in the Apple store.

When my wife wanted a iPhone SE last year I did the pre-order and 3 days later the phone shows up a day ahead and but there is big difference between the flagship phone and the low priced one.

Studivan

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2015
Philadelphia
My tale of woe is surmised with: Someone within my local UPS delivery network stole a Deep Purple iPhone Pro Max 1TB.

UPS has opened an “investigation.”

Who else is still missing a promised launch day iPhone?
This almost happened to me, I’m looking out the window of my apartment complex and see the UPS truck pull up, I go downstairs to get my Iphone 14 Pro max, because I know Apple requires a signature but when I get to the front door, I see the truck pull off, a package for my neighbor is there but not mine and no notice or sticker on the door, I went back upstairs to check on the computer and it says DELIVERED, I go outside get in my car and tracked that driver down and blocked his truck on a one way street and asked him where is the Iphone and I’m not moving until he produces one because it said it was on that truck and it was delivered, of course he found it and didn’t have any explanation why it was still on the truck and it said delivered.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
My tale of woe is surmised with: Someone within my local UPS delivery network stole a Deep Purple iPhone Pro Max 1TB.

Not missing. I never ordered online because of theft concerns. I just cannot find one at any local Apple store here in NY. Totally out.

onenorth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2021
A slightly different twist...

A couple of years ago my wife and I ordered new iPhones from AT&T. They were delivered to my house via UPS, no issues. A couple of weeks later another identical box from AT&T arrived and shaking it I could tell it was probably a phone inside. The package had the correct street address but I did not recognize the name. It was not anyone who had lived at this address before (I know the former owners) and the name didn't appear in any online directory for my town.

A few hours later someone I had never seen in the neighborhood before rang my doorbell and asked if I had received a package for the person who was named on the shipping label. Very sketchy. But I gave him the box because I didn't want any trouble from him.

A few weeks later we start getting letters from AT&T and then after a few months letters from a collection agency, again all addressed to this non-existent person. I never opened the letters but clearly someone was up to no good having the phone delivered to a bad address on purpose and then coming by looking for it right after UPS delivered it. Eventually the letters stopped. No idea how that scam works but fortunately it caused no problems for me.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022

A couple of years ago my wife and I ordered new iPhones from AT&T. They were delivered to my house via UPS, no issues. A couple of weeks later another identical box from AT&T arrived and shaking it I could tell it was probably a phone inside. The package had the correct street address but I did not recognize the name. It was not anyone who had lived at this address before (I know the former owners) and the name didn't appear in any online directory for my town.

A few hours later someone I had never seen in the neighborhood before rang my doorbell and asked if I had received a package for the person who was named on the shipping label. Very sketchy. But I gave him the box because I didn't want any trouble from him.

A few weeks later we start getting letters from AT&T and then after a few months letters from a collection agency, again all addressed to this non-existent person. I never opened the letters but clearly someone was up to no good having the phone delivered to a bad address on purpose and then coming by looking for it right after UPS delivered it. Eventually the letters stopped. No idea how that scam works but fortunately it caused no problems for me.

‘There is no shortage of shady people these days.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I don't understand, how can a thief use stolen iPhones ?

Doesn't Apple just remotely lock it, track it, or blacklist it ?

onenorth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2021
I don't understand, how can a thief use stolen iPhones ?

Doesn't Apple just remotely lock it, track it, or blacklist it ?
Thief sells the unopened box to an unsuspecting person who later discovers the brand new phone is locked or becomes locked.

• Haha
Reactions: 4sallypat

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA

Sounds like the person stole someone’s identity using their credit card to make fraudulent purchase and used your address.

This happened to me, but I was the victim of a stolen credit card. They used a random persons address to mail their stuff to so they can go there and collect it. The person hacked into my credit card profile and changed their billing address to some random address and had products being shipped to that address so that it matches with the purchase online. The name of the individual did not match the person who lived at that address.

thewolf666

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2022

I am having the same issue. Ordered on launch day. Home cameras show UPS did not even try to deliver, UPS status said attempted delivery twice and then I opened an investigation. Nothing happened. I checked back with Apple and asked for an update, they said they would follow up. I heard nothing after another week, so contacted Apple again and they said they would send a replacement. UPS again did I not try to deliver but updated status attempted. I called Apple and asked to cancel order and decided to order a new phone on a new order number just to see if something was wrong in the supply chain with my order. I asked Apple why can’t I have an online order shipped to a store or UPS store for pick up, they had no answer, just not offered. Apple did not refund the first phone when I checked back a week later and I called back to learn that I have to request a refund separately from asking for an investigation, what a joke and don’t ask me to explain the stupidity of that. Anyway for the second phone, another fake UPS delivery first attempt but this time I signed up for UPS Choice Delivery so I can pick the day I am home to wait for the UPS. When I checked UPS status it is not saying that they can’t locate package for intercept. Amazing. So will see what happens with the UPS excuses now. If it fails this time, will investigate, cancel, request refund separately again from Apple and then give up and go to an Apple Store to buy a phone or get one shipped to a Carrie store. This whole process has been horrible. There is something fishy at UPS and I thought no way they are stealing and then a quick Google search led me to this thread, so I wanted to share my nightmare with people.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I am having the same issue. Ordered on launch day. Home cameras show UPS did not even try to deliver, UPS status said attempted delivery twice and then I opened an investigation. Nothing happened. I checked back with Apple and asked for an update, they said they would follow up. I heard nothing after another week, so contacted Apple again and they said they would send a replacement. UPS again did I not try to deliver but updated status attempted. I called Apple and asked to cancel order and decided to order a new phone on a new order number just to see if something was wrong in the supply chain with my order. I asked Apple why can’t I have an online order shipped to a store or UPS store for pick up, they had no answer, just not offered. Apple did not refund the first phone when I checked back a week later and I called back to learn that I have to request a refund separately from asking for an investigation, what a joke and don’t ask me to explain the stupidity of that. Anyway for the second phone, another fake UPS delivery first attempt but this time I signed up for UPS Choice Delivery so I can pick the day I am home to wait for the UPS. When I checked UPS status it is not saying that they can’t locate package for intercept. Amazing. So will see what happens with the UPS excuses now. If it fails this time, will investigate, cancel, request refund separately again from Apple and then give up and go to an Apple Store to buy a phone or get one shipped to a Carrie store. This whole process has been horrible. There is something fishy at UPS and I thought no way they are stealing and then a quick Google search led me to this thread, so I wanted to share my nightmare with people.
Agree, UPS has been awful lately.

My 14 Plus was delivered to my workplace 3 hours after it closed.

Then they tried on Saturday then Monday when it got delivered during the day.

Ended up getting courier delivered 14 Plus on Saturday to my home.

Returned the delivered phone unopened on Apple's dime.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Agree, UPS has been awful lately.

My 14 Plus was delivered to my workplace 3 hours after it closed.

Then they tried on Saturday then Monday when it got delivered during the day.

Ended up getting courier delivered 14 Plus on Saturday to my home.

Returned the delivered phone unopened on Apple's dime.
Wow! Same thing happened to me almost to the T.

My 14 plus was scheduled to be deliver on release day Friday. I had it coming to my job. When I ordered it from Apple, I had the address marked as a business address. Tracking said it was supposed to be delivered by 7pm (well after we closed and the building is locked down). I wasn't too worried as previous deliveries came during the middle of the day. As my day was ending and 5pm was nearing, no sign of my phone. Reached out to UPS to check if it was actually going to be delivered that day, they said they didn't have the address listed as a business address. Long story short, the phone was attempted delivery at 7:50pm. Well after we had closed and the elevators were locked down.

When I left work a little bit after 5 on Friday, I ended up stopping by the Apple store and purchasing a 14 plus before going home.

They attempted again on Saturday at 10:00am. Which was laughable. I know they didn't even come up to our floor as the elevators are locked down on the weekends. It ended up being delivered on Monday during business hours, surprisingly.

• Love
Reactions: 4sallypat

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
About 4 years ago the house next to us was a market home. Someone bought it but had not moved in yet. A package came to that address, but no one was living there yet. I was outside doing yard work and delivery driver was next door. I told him that the home builder's contractor was in the neighborhood and could unlock door and put inside. Later someone from Indiana drove up and was looking for the package. I told her it was locked inside the house. Come to find out we have a sheriff in our neighborhood got involved and it was 5 BNIB red Iphones. He said they got a call and told the guy to come get them at the station needless to say they did not show up to get them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.