Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Now, I'm sure most of us are aware with Google's malware Software Update, which installs itself when using Google apps, and we know ksfetch malfunctions with Little Snitch and triggers an alarm window, which pops every couple of hours.

I've looked online, but all the solutions I found and tried where either (a) tweak it with Terminal to extend the period it checks for updates (e.g., weekly), or (b) delete it altogether.

However, the problem with (a) is that Google also tweaks its Software Update, every now and then, and limits the interval you set. I definitely don't want to keep it in mind, I just want a permanent fix. And the problem with (b) is that it populates itself on your HD if deleted. (Correct me if I'm wrong, btw.)

I know that the blame is all on Google, but why does Little Snitch keep bothering me about ksfetch? Can't I set it so that LS always denies any connection that GSU or ksfetch requests, without a popping window to let me know about it, just like any other app/process? Like, what separates it from other processes that don't trigger a window with LS?

Also, can someone tell me where (exact directories that) GSU populates itself, so I can check for myself if there's multiple copies of it?

While GSU is definitely malware, I don't care to delete it, as long as it doesn't send any info back to Google, or Little Snitch doesn't bother me about it.

Let me know, thank you.

_____

Extra question: The Google app that installed Google Software Update in my system is not Chrome, as one would expect. It is Android File Transfer, which unfortunately I need, as I also use a couple of Android devices. If anyone knows a decent AFT alternative for Mac, I could just uninstall it and get rid of GSU altogether.

qqurioustiger8945

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
have you tried timing 0 (zero) rather than long timer?

Thank you for your response.

Like I said, Google often tweaks the interval that it allows you to set (correct me if I'm wrong, I only read that on some StackExchange thread, but I can't find the link)

What I would rather know is why LS is so buggy about that specific process (even though, again, it's Google's fault)

And of course to set it so that LS always denies GSU without letting me know with a pop up window. Like, GSU might go ahead and attempt to look for an update as often as Google likes, as long as LS always denies it for me.

Thanks

Perceptes

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
I've had the same problem and was very frustrated by it. I emailed Objective Development to ask about it, and they offered a solution! What you do is allow the connection(s) initiated by GoogleUpdater forever, then in the Little Snitch rules, right click the rules you created and turn them into "identifier" rules. This will stop Little Snitch from defining the program based on its file path (which changes whenever GoogleUpdater updates itself), and hence it will continue to apply the same rules across updates. The same trick should work for any other self-updating software that works this way.

Reactions: KaliYoni

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've had the same problem and was very frustrated by it. I emailed Objective Development to ask about it, and they offered a solution! What you do is allow the connection(s) initiated by GoogleUpdater forever, then in the Little Snitch rules, right click the rules you created and turn them into "identifier" rules. This will stop Little Snitch from defining the program based on its file path (which changes whenever GoogleUpdater updates itself), and hence it will continue to apply the same rules across updates. The same trick should work for any other self-updating software that works this way.
Real nice to know. I'll be giving this a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.