Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-O-All-the-new-features_id92262

Android O is, sort of, here.

Google just unveiled a Developer Preview of the next version of Android, which is non-ambiguously called "Android O" and gives little to no hints (that we know of) for its future sweet name.

Back on Android O: this one seems more like an evolutionary update than a revolutionary one, and that's a good thing. Most of the fresh new features on board look like they will further evolve the user experience and make it better across all areas.
[doublepost=1490125138][/doublepost]Android O developer preview will include 4 releases, final version coming in Q3 2017
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...lude-4-releases-final-release-coming-q3-2017/

Android O feature spotlight: Home screen notification badges are now supported
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...ome-screen-notification-badges-now-supported/

Android O feature spotlight: System UI Tuner gets a new navigation bar customizer
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...-ui-tuner-gets-new-navigation-bar-customizer/

Android O Developer Preview Feature Spotlight: New background limits help save battery life
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...new-background-limits-help-save-battery-life/

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That very last point is very attractive to me as an iOS user adjusting to the "quirks" of Android.

I'd also love to see Google tighten up requirements on app developers that prevent them from demanding permissions that the functions and needs of their apps don't really need. We've all seen apps like that, it's really annoying and sometimes concerning enough I won't install the app if it won't let me turn down certain permissions I'm sure it has no business asking for, given the limited task of the app. But so many developers already complain how much of a huge pain it is to develop for Android vs iOS, including my husband's friends who decided to develop exclusively for iOS. So I suppose Google doesn't want to scare off the ones who are willing to develop for Android by smacking them with more requirements.

Reactions: lugworm and v0lume4

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Still calling Android 'Orange Soda'. :D

Maybe. I think it'll be orange 'something'. My money is on orange sherbet. :D

IMG_0105.JPG

Zoddino

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
The new autofill API might be really interesting for password management apps like last pass or 1password which would be even faster to use (and also in applications). Wish so much iOS had something like this for lazy developers that don't add a password manager button in sign in pages like Spotify and other apps do.

Also support for LDAC hi-res bluetooth and aptx is great

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Android's big answer to battery life....is to set up the same kinds of constraints that iOS has been using for years.

"Innovation" folks :p

I knew they'd have to get to this point eventually, there really is no alternative I can think of. It's just funny to me that Android has slowly but surely been becoming more iOS like in the areas that people have been touting as a differentiator for years.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Android's big answer to battery life....is to set up the same kinds of constraints that iOS has been using for years.

"Innovation" folks :p

I knew they'd have to get to this point eventually, there really is no alternative I can think of. It's just funny to me that Android has slowly but surely been becoming more iOS like in the areas that people have been touting as a differentiator for years.

I thought the same thing watching that preview video from AC. But I'm not going to rag on Google for making such changes on Android because I see these as taking more of the rough edges off. Battery life has always been a big challenge on Android and if limiting background processes makes strides towards signficant improvements here, then great. And even with limits, I'm fairly certain there'll still be greating functionality than what's currently availabe in iOS, if one chooses.

I also like the autofill APIs--so hope 1Password takes advantage as their current mechanism on Android is kind of a PITA. And if 'wifi aware' brings functionality similar to AirDrop on iOS/MacOS, that's one less iOS feature that I use all the time and keeps me from switching back to Android.

I love seeing any of the elements of iOS that I like find there way into Android. Now if Apple could just add a bunch of the best parts of Android (just give me customization and ability to set default apps to start), we'll really be cooking.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I thought the same thing watching that preview video from AC. But I'm not going to rag on Google for making such changes on Android because I see these as taking more of the rough edges off. Battery life has always been a big challenge on Android and if limiting background processes makes strides towards signficant improvements here, then great. And even with limits, I'm fairly certain there'll still be greating functionality than what's currently availabe in iOS, if one chooses.

I also like the autofill APIs--so hope 1Password takes advantage as their current mechanism on Android is kind of a PITA. And if 'wifi aware' brings functionality similar to AirDrop on iOS/MacOS, that's one less iOS feature that I use all the time and keeps me from switching back to Android.

I love seeing any of the elements of iOS that I like find there way into Android. Now if Apple could just add a bunch of the best parts of Android (just give me customization and ability to set default apps to start), we'll really be cooking.
That's what I mean, they are smart changes that benefit the average user, so I won't give Google any crap for it.

It is a funny retort to the uber-nerds who constantly harp on the superiority of Android however. :p

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That's what I mean, they are smart changes that benefit the average user, so I won't give Google any crap for it.

It is a funny retort to the uber-nerds who constantly harp on the superiority of Android however. :p

Yup, exactly.

And apologies if my post implied I was accusing you of such bias...definitely not intended, just a general observation.

Reactions: MRU

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yup, exactly.

And apologies if my post implied I was accusing you of such bias...definitely not intended, just a general observation.
Nope, not at all, I was just clarifying for anyone else that may have read it that way.

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I can't wait to try out the next beta preview....

It's really these little useful features that get me excited about the new OS. For example, with nougat, the one thing I was most excited about was the double tap app switcher to hop between two apps. The "alt-tab" of android. Love that feature.

Reactions: 5105973

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
YYYEEEEAAAAHHHH BBBOOOIIIIIII

I couldn't contain my excitement on that one. YES.
[doublepost=1491365333][/doublepost]
It's really these little useful features that get me excited about the new OS. For example, with nougat, the one thing I was most excited about was the double tap app switcher to hop between two apps. The "alt-tab" of android. Love that feature.
No doubt about it. Though it takes only one more step on the iPhone to switch apps (double tap the home button and then tap the app; two steps total), you really get used to that one second you save on Android. As you said, it's the small things!

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I don't see nothing exciting aside from picture in picture.

It's been a while for me since I got excited for an Android update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.