Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
Installed iPadOS 17.2 public beta, maybe a week (?) ago, on my ipad pro. Whenever I start a game center enabled game (which is most of them) I'm getting a popup notification asking me to sign into Game Center.

I don't want to use Game Center again - I tried it briefly back when it first came out, back in 2010 or whenever it was, decided I wasn't interested, and signed out, and have never signed back in. My understanding is that you can't delete Game Center or your account, so have been brushing off the once in a while nags for over a decade.

But this current behavior is like somethings broken, or apple is getting really desperate. I have notifications for game center turned off, so ideally I shouldn't be getting anything - these popup nags are notifications, like I get with other apps, so it seems apple is breaking it's own rules about this. And the normal way this works is whenever apple roles out a new OS or whatever you might get these annoying nags for the first 3 times you open the apps, but then they stop - but now they've been appearing every time, for over a week.

Annoying, incorrect behavior, or is it just me?

mazurkaoy

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2023
Not just you. I installed 17.2 final just now and now I get that awful nag every time even though I have Game Center turned off.

sduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
Hopefully you'll report it via the feedback app. I do that, but perhaps more voices need to be heard.

AlanC3

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
Same thing here: I'm not logged in to Game Center, I've disabled its notifications, the game has a Game Center Login option which I've turned off, but I still get the nagging notification every time I start the game. Tapping it and then cancelling the login 3 times in a row doesn't stop the notifications like it used to stop the login. Feedback sent.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Same issue. I've reported it as a bug.

I hate Game Center, and wish I could delete it. I also mentioned that in my report.

Feedback web page:

Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Same thing here: I'm not logged in to Game Center, I've disabled its notifications, the game has a Game Center Login option which I've turned off, but I still get the nagging notification every time I start the game. Tapping it and then cancelling the login 3 times in a row doesn't stop the notifications like it used to stop the login. Feedback sent.
I don't play a lot but sometime if I want to play I keep WIFI off: does it happen as well?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
This issue with game center seems to happen with some updates and not all. I agree I'd like to be able to just get rid of it

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Still showing up all the time - please fix it so it works as it used to before 17.2 - at least - turned off don't keep asking me everytime

• Sad

blotchy-veil

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2024
Sorry to necro, but I have the opposite problem. Since 17.2, it’s 100% broken and won’t load even though I was signed in before updating. Something they did in that update FUBARed Game Center completely. Software quality is really going downhill…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.