Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
this is one that will perform well.
How would you even attempt to rate antivirus “performance” when there are no viruses for any of them to catch? Furthermore, the idea that third parties can secure an operating system better than the engineers who built it stems from the early days of Microsoft Windows and even in that platform it’s not true any more.

Reactions: 09872738

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have been using Avast free, seems fine and not to heavy on resource. I am forced into having it as my office now does checks that include looking for AV, so without one I can't log into the system :)

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
How would you even attempt to rate antivirus “performance” when there are no viruses for any of them to catch? Furthermore, the idea that third parties can secure an operating system better than the engineers who built it stems from the early days of Microsoft Windows and even in that platform it’s not true any more.
Note that I said "If you need AV", and that I don't use one. As for the performance aspect, I was referring to the tendency of other AV apps to slow down your system. I've seen posts from trusted forum members that says this one won't to that.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
all together class:
APPLE DOES NOT NEED ANY ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE.
okay good class
now for out next lesson, we will learn how to exchange a ssd hard drive
did everybody bring in their pentalobe screwdrivers?
Timmy, stop playing with that solder and ssd drive, they are supposed to be remove,
timmy
timmy to the office now!

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Can you download and use both malewarebytes and Sophos or is that overkill?

Between the two, is one better than the other?

Thanks

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Can you download and use both malewarebytes and Sophos or is that overkill?

Between the two, is one better than the other?

Thanks
Yes.
No.
Each utility has a different purpose so you can't really say one is superior to the other. I'd say they are complementary to one another.

Reactions: UnknownIdaho

UnknownIdaho

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
Idaho USA
OP: if you're still reading this discussion, here are some suggestions if you do decide to install security software:

Level 1 (foundation)
  • Anti-virus (I use Sophos)
  • Anti-malware (I use Malwarebytes)
  • Firefox browser with ad blocking and Javascript blocking add-ons (I use AdBlock Plus and NoScript) for general web browsing. I keep Safari relatively stock and only use it with a very small number of trusted websites.
Level 2 (good to have if you don't mind the convenience vs. security tradeoffs)
  • Little Snitch (monitor outgoing Internet connections, essentially a reverse firewall)
  • RansomWhere (anti-ransomware monitor)
  • SilentKnight (utility for easily checking Apple's own security measures in macOS for updates)
Best reply so far, thank you.

I need to but am dreading installing Windows on my 16” MacBook for certain applications, thinking of going with the embedded version (Windows LTSC) but I am sure someone will require me to use Word or Microsoft Cloud or whatever it’s called and here come the Malware, knocking at the back of my keyboard…

Attachments

• FFCEE1F6-E7C5-47D4-8E0D-4410F1DD006E.jpeg
    FFCEE1F6-E7C5-47D4-8E0D-4410F1DD006E.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: KaliYoni

poked

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2014
I have used Mac's off and on for years, my first one was a G4 iBook, and that was after Apple went to intel processors because windows vista made me so irritated and gave me fits, I had a 2011 MacBook Pro 15 inch with the dreaded graphics issue and ended up using windows laptops until the beginning of January this year when I found my current MacBook Air which is an early 2015 11 inch model, i5, 4 gb of ram and the 128gb ssd.... my MacBook Air runs circles around my 2019 Dell laptop i7, 16gb of ram running windows 10 pro. Enough for the plug for Apple, we all know Apple is far superior than windows, that being said, I have never ran any form of antivirus on my Mac's, and being forced to work from home currently because of covid, won't say my thoughts on that, not relative to the discussion, my company thinks I am using my windows computer because they demand anti virus software which I will never install on any of my Apple products, MY COMPUTER, MY CHOICE, but I use my MacBook Air for work all day without any anti virus, because it is enjoyable to use and I am not going to add something to reduce the awesome performance of it when IT IS NOT NEEDED AT ALL. I do use ad block pro in safari, but safari is the only browser I use on any of my Apple devices. Worst that happens is my company finds out and I get terminated, that's fine it is only employment. I have never had any issues with any malware on any of my Apple devices, and enjoy constant performance and stability of the system, without question.
I want to refute the point of “Mac runs around windows”. In terms of security, SURE! But in terms of side-loading, and the lack of functional applications to help developers? Not really. This reads like a big brother ad, I will give you that. You should ALWAYS question the safety of your OS if prudent to do so. Also, ads are damn irritating. That’s just life. Little confused: why would your company care what device you use as long as it’s secure enough for two way encryption? I know our work PCs are actively monitored because they’re windows-based and we get idiots phishing every other day.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
thread revival, as i'm also (still relatively) new to Mac and have no experience how exploits could sneak into my system, so i have this question:

can malware only get on my system if i manually click on a button that permits the installation, even if those permission requests might be trying to trick you into thinking that it is just asking for an OS/app/codec update? (or "congratulations... you have won a McLaren F1... click yes to receive it" )
or are there other ways that something could sneak in without any further user action, just by viewing a website, PDF, JPG, MOV, etc?

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
as i'm also (still relatively) new to Mac and have no experience how exploits could sneak into my system
* Install BlockBlock [https://objective-see.org/products/blockblock.html]. This developer is the king of MacOS security.
* Don't do dumb stuff like keeping non-updated microsoft office and opening random office files, or installing MacOS apps from torrent sites.

Follow this and you'll be safe.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
i had been malware free even on Windows (except for one incident on Win XP downloading some video codecs pack from a generelly trusted website), so i don't think i'm in too much danger here

but of course aware that i'm not totally immune to anything either
i have knockknock installed since recently just in case, but had an eye my LaunchAgents/LaunchDaemons locations from time to time before anyway. Not that difficult, since only the LaunchDaemons folder is holding one single plist on my system

and macOS has at least three anti malware measures running per default anyway, so i think in my use case an additional real-time monitor isn't really necessary and would just waste system resources (even if just in tiny amounts)

just wanted to know wether something could infect a macOS system all by itself just by opening it with no further user confirmation at all
i guess it isn't the case, but wanted to make sure

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
just wanted to know wether something could infect a macOS system all by itself just by opening it with no further user confirmation at all
Yes, it is possible. For example:

"While analyzing the phone of a Saudi activist infected with NSO Group’s Pegasus spyware, we discovered a zero-day zero-click exploit against iMessage. The exploit, which we call FORCEDENTRY, targets Apple’s image rendering library, and was effective against Apple iOS, MacOS and WatchOS devices."
NSO Group iMessage Zero-Click Exploit Captured in the Wild

A new “zero-click” MacOS exploit chain could allow attackers to deliver malware to MacOS users using a Microsoft Office document with macros. The attack bypasses security measures that both Microsoft and Apple have put in place to protect MacOS users from malicious macros."

Black Hat 2020: ‘Zero-Click’ MacOS Exploit Chain Uses Microsoft Office Macros

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
i’m a first time mac user and i’m wondering wether or not i should install any antivirus programs. my friend who uses a macbook too doesn’t use one and i’ve generally heard that it’s not necessary provided you don’t go into sketchy websites or something. what do you suggest?

What is your threat profile?
If you’re not overly naïve and you’re not specifically in someone’s sights I would say the general security measures built into macOS should be sufficient for most people barring accidents and bad luck.

What everybody should invest in, however, is several layers of backups: Get an external disk to use with the built-in Time Machine software for easy access to accidentally deleted files. Then pay someone like Backblaze a few bucks per month for immutable online backup in case your house burns down or malicious actors manage to get you to run crypto malware.

If you’re in a situation of highly elevated threat, no amount of software can protect you fully from a malicious actor with enough resources, or from an angry person with a simple rubber hose. Act accordingly.

Reactions: avz

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
i wonder if XProtect(app) or MRT will anounce any findings, or will everything -in case of finding(s)- happen completely in the background, unseen to the "normal user"?

i hope iOS's countermeasures are on a similar standard

but good to see that Apple seems to take things like these more seriously than before

UnknownIdaho

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
Idaho USA
There are a couple pretty serious Zero Days out there that are basically relegating Low End Macs to non daily users unless you have a high level firewall (WiFi Pineapple and/or PiHole types).

The reason these are important (bad) is they can be automated and will find their way into the network of bad guys (bots) constantly scanning for unpatched systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.