Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's all very well to say 'practice safe surfing' (much like 'practice safe sex' or 'just say no to drugs' - and we've seen how that goes)
Practicing safe computing is as simple as not going out of your way to do risky things, like installing pirated software. It's not like it's difficult to avoid high-risk behavior.
or the tired old Macolyte chant 'Macs don't get viruses',
Macs don't get viruses... because there ARE no viruses in the wild that affect macOS, and there never have been any.
but stuff happens.
Not unless the user makes/allows it to happen.
As Macs have gone more mainstream, they have become something of a target,
The market share myth has been debunked countless times, and is completely invalid.
a lot of Apple's updates to the OS have involved patching security issues
Security issues or vulnerabilities do not mean malware. They mean software vulnerabilities, which every OS has. An anti-malware app will not protect against software vulnerabilities.
As well, if you exchange files and folders across computers and networks, do you really want to pass along an issue from someone else's computer to someone else's via your computer - that may not be affected, and so, you're unaware?
Any Windows user that operates without antivirus software is responsible for any infection they encounter. It's not up to a Mac user to provide malware protection for Windows users, and do do so would still leave such users vulnerable to all the Windows malware on the network that doesn't come through your Mac.
Ofcourse you need one, pointed out by the messages above. A good anti-virus doesn't just protect agains 'virusses' but can do so much more to safeguard your network access.... Get one and avoid unpleasant surprises......

It's like doubting an insurance, you might never experience any issue but why take the risk if the risk-prevention is so easily accessible??
No, you don't need one. You can certainly elect to use one, but it is not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free. Anti-malware apps don't protect your network access.

Mac4Brains

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2005
I run Avast for the Mac for a good reason. I am a IT tech who is asked about this a lot so I wanted to know how it works and what issues it has. The only thing I tend to use it for is that it blocks attack web sites and emails. as to scanning the computer, You really don't need to worry about it (At the moment).

Reactions: decafjava

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
The main reason for running antivirus software on a Mac is to avoid passing virus-ridden files (eg MS Word doc files) on to poor Windows users where they can cause havoc. It is good practice to check these files when you receive them. I use ClamXAVfor this ( https://www.clamxav.com/ ). It has a sentry mode that can be set to monitor email attachments. I understand that Virus signature updates are based on a US government service and are free.

Reactions: Bazza1

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
wow guys thank you so much for all of your detailed answers!!
So I see most of you don't believe in AVs...
Most might be an understatement.

Mac OS X is pretty tough to hack, so we attack the antivirus or use human engineering to glean information from the target.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/mcafees-own-anti-hacking-service-exposed-users-to-banking-malware/
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...on-hijacked-hack-computer-malware-doubleagent
https://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/what-to-do-about-the-kaspersky-data-hack-/
https://www.scmagazine.com/avast-cc...rd-stage-chinese-hacking-tool/article/750233/

As mentioned before, antivirus is the perfect way to give hackers root access to your system.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It's all very well to say 'practice safe surfing' (much like 'practice safe sex' or 'just say no to drugs' - and we've seen how that goes) or the tired old Macolyte chant 'Macs don't get viruses', but stuff happens. As Macs have gone more mainstream, they have become something of a target, and a lot of Apple's updates to the OS have involved patching security issues - just like Apple and their fans used to make fun of Microsoft for.
Not everyone is equally susceptible to every security issue. If one looks deeper into the conditions that must exist for a security issue to be exploited, you'll find that many times (not all times) the conditions are very specific with a low probability of that perfect storm existing. Yes, TECHNICALLY it is a security issue, but PRACTICALLY speaking, it is something that won't happen.

Something like, "exploit found when using an infected spreadsheet with macros in Excel that takes ownership of a network attached drive" is the type of thing that would only affect people who download spreadsheets, load them in Excel, have macros enabled, and access network drives. Common activity in the enterprise, extremely rare in personal, home use.

One prime vector for malware injection comes from ads. People who use adblockers in their browser dramatically reduce the possibility of being hit by malware. Malware generally doesn't use security exploits in the OS but are installed "through the front door" by the user who is distracted or fooled into installing it.

As well, if you exchange files and folders across computers and networks, do you really want to pass along an issue from someone else's computer to someone else's via your computer - that may not be affected, and so, you're unaware?

There are free, lightweight AV programs for Mac that cause little pain at all, so why wouldn't you install one? If it makes you feel better and maybe makes you a better virtual neighbour, go for it.

There's an excellent resource for AV products - constant testing and reviews - out there worth checking out

https://www.av-comparatives.org/mac-security-reviews/

And yes, while you're at it, products like Malwarebytes are probably a worthwhile addition, too.
Having said what I've said, I agree. If installing AV software gives one a sense of security, then they should. But they should also practice safe computing and use adblockers as well.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
An older article but everyone should read it.

It’s happened: there’s now ransomware for the Mac, and it’s called OSX/KeRanger-A.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/20...-the-mac-osxkeranger-a-what-you-need-to-know/
This is certainly an example that no OS is immune to malware. It should be noted, however, that this particular threat was eliminated soon after it was discovered over 2 years ago. Apple's Gatekeeper has been updated to block any future instances of this particular malware. It should also be noted that no antivirus app will protect your Mac against such zero day threats.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Having said what I've said, I agree. If installing AV software gives one a sense of security, then they should. But they should also practice safe computing and use adblockers as well.

It may - or may not - be a placebo, but yes, if it makes a user feel better (and protect others, if not themselves), why not? And yes, being thoughtful as where you go online, and how you do it plays its part, too.

That said, I still don't get the rabid dislike by the Macoyltes of AV programs - 'how dare we assume the MacOS isn't perfect in every way' is getting old, peeps - and while Apple is usually good about patching the OS when a problem is found, it can never hurt to be proactive rather than reactive, rather waiting for Tim & Co to hear of a problem / deny the problem exists / admit there is a problem, and get something out.

Last edited:
Reactions: JennieLynne

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
The only thing I encountered on my iMacs is the occasional script kiddies thinking they're being cute with javascript coding where they don't allow you to exit a webpage. The usual fix is to force quit the browser.

I never open links in emails or I'm 100 percent certain where it came from (Like a verification email). If I still think it's legit I would sometimes enter the URL manually. When I was on the Windows side I went by K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) for I would used Microsoft's anti-virus and firewall to protect my computer(s). Yes, I tried 3rd party anti-virus software, but found them wanting to take over my operating system. I will occasion run malware software on both OSX and Windows.

As for smartphones I don't run anything, but I'm sure there are bad people writing bad code as I type this reply. You just have to play it smart when accessing the internet, but sometimes being smart isn't enough. :(

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
That said, I still don't get the rabid dislike by the Macoyltes of AV programs - 'how dare we assume the MacOS isn't perfect in every way' is getting old, peeps
AV programs are one of the very few avenues for viruses to infect a Mac ( and Flash popups ).

The design of the OS is the major protection against viruses. Same goes for any UNIX based system, Linux, Solaris, Ubuntu, ect; all are pretty safe from viruses.

To be fair they are mostly safe from viruses as the definition of virus:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/virus

This is not possible with UNIX based systems. The user must agree to the replication for each instance. Fortunately, it will then break only your computer and not other UNIX based systems on the same network, unless they also agree to multiple warnings: 1) Unsafe source 2) root access 3) May damage or corrupt your system, are you sure one last time.

Installing AV programs INCREASE your risk of infection AND slow down your system. That is why we are little prickly about people installing them.

Reactions: decafjava

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
No Mac owner needs an anti-virus. It's just a waste of space and system resources. I do suggest Malware Bytes, though. Malware is much more common and easily caught.

Reactions: JennieLynne

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Less than a year ago I would have said yes having just come from a windows environment. Now that I am a little more comfortable that has changed to a no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.