Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2021
We need a refresh on the base iPad to maintain it relevant, specially for the holidays.
Apple has been doing yearly upgrades since 2017 on the base iPad.
If apple delays the chip upgrades, development of iPadOS for later years gets compromised.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovijoker

GMShadow

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2021
iPad Mini hasn’t been updated for 2 years or there about’s, so I fully expect that to be updated with the same chip as the iPhone 15 plus other updates, which will make it a hell of a portable games machine!

No new iPad Pro’s or Air, probably an update to the base iPad.

if they update the Mini with the iPhone 15 chip, I may sell my M1 Pro for it…! But we will see.

For me I’d love iPad Mini with new screen to help eliminate jelly scrolling effect, same chip as iPhone 15 maybe with a bit more RAM, storage starting at or have an option for 128GB. Face ID would be nice too. Latest 5G standards in the cellular option. And I guess some new colours? And a camera spec bump.

The Mini has been weird on update timeframes.

Mini 1 - October 2012
Mini 2 - October 2013
Mini 3 - October 2014 (but this barely counts as an update, it's Mini 2 with Touch ID)
Mini 4 - September 2015
Mini 5 - March 2019, announced by Tim Cook in a tweet rather than during an event.
Mini 6 - September 2021

I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until 2024 for a Mini 7, or even 2025. The variant of the A15 it uses is also produced for the Apple TV 4K (3rd gen) and iPhone 14/14+ so there's no need to update from the "parts no made no more" angle.

Reactions: tranceking26

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Doubt it going to be an iMac by itself, since it's an event, I expect like 4 or 5 Macs/iPads. Apple didn't say it was a Mac only event.
Actually, they did. Finder icon only on Mac computers.

Attachments

• IMG_0355.jpeg
    IMG_0355.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
As this thread has progressed I’ve been impressed at how well Apple seems to have put a lid on leaks compared to past years. Seems tough to do.
It perhaps indicates that these are spec bumps in the same form-factor.

A lot of leaks come from supply-chain sources who report on new panels and new form factor cases. Given the scale of Apple’s orders, these things are difficult to hide from leakers.

If a new product (eg Mac, iPad) is being released and it’s the same case/screen with an updated chip inside, then supply-chain leakers wouldn’t necessarily know about it.

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
It seems that Apple had to chose from two foldable ideas, one an foldable phone like samsung fold etc and an foldable ipad
It seems this month internally Apple chose and focus for an 2025-2026 release of an dual boot foldable ipad with an automatic boot into macOS when folded to desktop mode. Apple thinks tsmc will offer M4 for that ipad and not the m5 for an 2025 release
I dont think anyone can follow this because of the verticality of Apple between software and SoC. No other can follow, only Microsoft with their surface phone but even there, they have to buy chip from Qualcomm...It seems from the M1 ipad this was the future idea.
I still hope that users to be able to turn off the auto boot macOS if you want to stay in iOS platform in folded mode

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Actually, they did. Finder icon only on Mac computers.

Apple have launched iPad and Macs at the same event before you know. Showing a finder logo means nothing other then Mac OS or new Macs will feature, but that does not imply in the slightest it will be an exclusive, 2 hour event, just for a bump in Mac specs…

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
The Mini has been weird on update timeframes.

Mini 1 - October 2012
Mini 2 - October 2013
Mini 3 - October 2014 (but this barely counts as an update, it's Mini 2 with Touch ID)
Mini 4 - September 2015
Mini 5 - March 2019, announced by Tim Cook in a tweet rather than during an event.
Mini 6 - September 2021

I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until 2024 for a Mini 7, or even 2025. The variant of the A15 it uses is also produced for the Apple TV 4K (3rd gen) and iPhone 14/14+ so there's no need to update from the "parts no made no more" angle.

iPads usually get new chips first, I think they beat the iPhone before once even? So that doesn’t hold much. iPad release schedules as you said are too random to not expect new models next week just as much as to expect their won’t be any, the analysts are basically clueless at this point.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
It seems that Apple had to chose from two foldable ideas, one an foldable phone like samsung fold etc and an foldable ipad
It seems this month internally Apple chose and focus for an 2025-2026 release of an dual boot foldable ipad with an automatic boot into macOS when folded to desktop mode. Apple thinks tsmc will offer M4 for that ipad and not the m5 for an 2025 release
I dont think anyone can follow this because of the verticality of Apple between software and SoC. No other can follow, only Microsoft with their surface phone but even there, they have to buy chip from Qualcomm...It seems from the M1 ipad this was the future idea.
I still hope that users to be able to turn off the auto boot macOS if you want to stay in iOS platform in folded mode
MS has killed off the Surface phone, in fact they are scaling back on their hardware. But a dual boot foldable tablet? Interesting idea I guess.

MayaUser

macrumors 68040
Nov 22, 2021
MS has killed off the Surface phone, in fact they are scaling back on their hardware. But a dual boot foldable tablet? Interesting idea I guess.
Really? MS officially killed the foldable phone? already?
Yes, interesting idea, but a lot of people was asking if this will not kill a device like M4 Macbook Air and i would say, no, definitely not. Because of the price first, a Macbook air you will be able to buy even then with around $1000 while this foldable device cannot be cheaper than $1799 as starting price

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Really? MS officially killed the foldable phone? already?
Yes, interesting idea, but a lot of people was asking if this will not kill a device like M4 Macbook Air and i would say, no, definitely not. Because of the price first, a Macbook air you will be able to buy even then with around $1000 while this foldable device cannot be cheaper than $1799 as starting price
Just checked and you can still buy the Surface Duo, they killed off support for the first gen model though. People seem to think they may go to a single screen device next though?

And if Apple made A folding tablet with an M chip, and dual booting OS, you will more likely be looked at 2500 to 3000 starting price. Look at how much folding phones still cost! IMO the best one is the Pixel Fold due to its form factor. But those screens still have the creases in them.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Apple have launched iPad and Macs at the same event before you know. Showing a finder logo means nothing other then Mac OS or new Macs will feature, but that does not imply in the slightest it will be an exclusive, 2 hour event, just for a bump in Mac specs…
Must’ve missed it but can you show me where it says it’s gonna be a two hour event?

oofio2461

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
 Full Moon
Previous MacBook Pro event with M2 Pro/Max only lasted less than 20 mins, if the upcoming event last more than one hour, I really wonder what is Tim cooking....:p
That M2 event wasn't really an event, that was more like a Mini Event, announced by a press release.

oofio2461

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
 Full Moon
I wonder now if the iPad Air 5 is running low on stock in my nearest Micro Center, Target, most iPad Air models are listed as only having around 2 in stock or are sold out completely, which means were going to get the new iPad's, and also the iPad 9 and Air 5 are the only ones discounted, meaning that they're going to be dropped soon. Or maybe believing too much about new iPad's this year?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Presuming the iPad Air and iPad Mini stay on the current display tech (60Hz LCD), then there is arguably no reason they could not be updated (Air to M2 and Mini to A16 as I expect iPhone is still soaking up all A17 production at the moment).

Still, I think Monday is a Mac-only event to introduce the M3 family (M3, M3 PRO, M3 MAX).

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Yeah, bummer. I’m sure if I bought an Air 5 today they’d announce an Air 6 tomorrow 😆 but I’m going to be stubborn and wait a few more months.

• Haha
Reactions: darngooddesign
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.