Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deific

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Union City, CA
I'm working with a client who relies heavily on their Dexcom app(s) for glucose monitoring and the company refuses to fully support iOS 15.
He has already tried iOS 15 on other phones and the apps are temperamental.
I have seen reports of other Dexcom users not having issues with iOS 15, while some do have issues. iOS 14 seems to be a solid choice for Dexcom users, unfortunately finding a iPhone with iOS 14 on it has proven to be a lot harder than anticipated.

In this case he is willing to pay a decent amount to get a iPhone 12 Pro with iOS 14 loaded on it.

We've tried various sources but it's very difficult to confirm what iOS is loaded before the phone arrives -- eBay sellers don't tend to know, Gazelle said they were sending a phone with iOS 14 and we begin setup and realize it's on iOS 15.4 as soon as I see setting up FaceID with the Mask feature.

Any ideas on other places we should check to make sure we can get iOS 14 on the iPhone 12 Pro?

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I'm working with a client who relies heavily on their Dexcom app(s) for glucose monitoring and the company refuses to fully support iOS 15.
He has already tried iOS 15 on other phones and the apps are temperamental.
I have seen reports of other Dexcom users not having issues with iOS 15, while some do have issues. iOS 14 seems to be a solid choice for Dexcom users, unfortunately finding a iPhone with iOS 14 on it has proven to be a lot harder than anticipated.

In this case he is willing to pay a decent amount to get a iPhone 12 Pro with iOS 14 loaded on it.

We've tried various sources but it's very difficult to confirm what iOS is loaded before the phone arrives -- eBay sellers don't tend to know, Gazelle said they were sending a phone with iOS 14 and we begin setup and realize it's on iOS 15.4 as soon as I see setting up FaceID with the Mask feature.

Any ideas on other places we should check to make sure we can get iOS 14 on the iPhone 12 Pro?
Why not just restore the iPhone using an iOS 14 ISPW? https://macexpertguide.com/downgrade-ios-15-to-14/

deific

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Union City, CA
Why not just restore the iPhone using an iOS 14 ISPW? https://macexpertguide.com/downgrade-ios-15-to-14/
Thank you for the suggestion - it's certainly worth a try! I haven't done a downgrade in quite a while and Apple has been pretty religious about ceasing their signing of old software so I wasn't sure if it was still an option these days.

I'll have to give it a try on a test iOS device and see if it goes through ok.

deific

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Union City, CA
Bummer, Apple stopped signing all iOS 14 versions for the iPhone 12 Pro: https://ipsw.me/iPhone13,3
The process to circumvent the signing appears pretty hairy and unlikely to work. From the end of the article below "Doing that will enable you to boot old iOS versions tethered."

https://whatsabyte.com/ios/downgrade-apple-stops-signing

I can't leave a guy with diabetes stuck with a halfway operational phone. I do appreciate the idea though! Perhaps there is still an option to do this, but cursory searches appear fruitless.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Thank you for the suggestion - it's certainly worth a try! I haven't done a downgrade in quite a while and Apple has been pretty religious about ceasing their signing of old software so I wasn't sure if it was still an option these days.

I'll have to give it a try on a test iOS device and see if it goes through ok.
Please share if it works! I'm sure your client isn't the only one with issues like this.

deific

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Union City, CA
People who have diabetes can choose various ways to check their blood sugar levels however one of the major solutions has issues with iOS 15 currently.

Dexcom is one of the major options for blood glucose monitoring that ties into an app on the iPhone. You have to use their app to talk with their monitoring units - once they're talking you can start to use other apps that are tied into their APIs, but if the core app fails to communicate with the monitoring unit (what's happening on iOS 15 with some users) then you can try any app under the sun without success.

The core issue is Dexcom and Apple aren't communicating and fixing issues as quickly and efficiently as they can. Dexcom and android sounds like an even bigger nightmare, but that's neither here nor there.

I can vent all day about how much I dislike Dexcom's inactions, but I still need to find an iOS 14 phone in this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.