Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruggy

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2017
You just need to hold it tightly in place right?
What about just lashing a piece of wire round it and twisting it so it's held tightly? You might need a couple.
It won't move and it'll be well strong enough.
Even gaffer tape will do surely.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
You just need to hold it tightly in place right?
What about just lashing a piece of wire round it and twisting it so it's held tightly? You might need a couple.
It won't move and it'll be well strong enough.
Even gaffer tape will do surely.
I would not put a 3,5 Inch hard drive into the odd cage. It preheats the air to the Power Supply.

I recommend either the use of another type of hdd. There are some with the old mouting holes.

or find some mechanical solution with brackets, but in the hdd area.

WayneStewart

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Drill a hole in the sled where the new hard drive screw hole is. If need be campher it so a flat head screw sits flat. Then use a screw long enough to hold the drive up. It doesn’t matter if there’s a space between the sled and the drive, the screw is just there to take the weight.

Reactions: flowrider

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^That's the ticket? Or put a couple of washers between the new holes and the drive to act as spacers.

Lou

Last edited:

Ruggy

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2017
Did you solve this. I still think wire would be easy to use.
It doesn't have to be very thick: something like fuse wire would do or something like gardening wire.
You could put the screws directly into the HHD and put the wire round the screw to secure it like you would on any sort of screw electrical connection. The other end would go through a hole in the sled.
They you could twist them in an X across the top, snip it off short and push it flat.
There must be something simple like that possible to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.