Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
My roommate's iPad 3's wifi seems not working. You have to get really close to router to get signal, even that, the signal seems very wake. He did the restore but no help.

I suspect his wifi card stopped working. Only problem is his iPad 3 just went out of warranty.

Anyone in this forum encountered similar problem? How much is the cost?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
How long ago is it out of warranty and how close are you to an Apple store?
There's always a chance they'll fix it for free.

And, in casw they're feeling extra generous and simply swap it out for a new, always backup everything before you bring anything to an Apple store.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
As above. I've been 62 days past my warrenty and due to my device being prestine I got a swap.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
How long ago is it out of warranty and how close are you to an Apple store?
There's always a chance they'll fix it for free.

And, in casw they're feeling extra generous and simply swap it out for a new, always backup everything before you bring anything to an Apple store.

Oh, OK. He purchased his iPad 3 at launch. So about a month. I will let him visit Apple Store. Apple Store is about an hour away, there is bus going directly to that shopping mall.

But just in case, if they actually charge him money, how much would that be?

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
For iPad 3 out of warranty it would be $299. If its a software issue they will fix it for free.
Also, how did he come to the conclusion so quick that its the iPad? I would have recommended he tried connecting to other routers, restoring as new, and resetting network settings. The more troubleshooting he does, the less questions Apple will ask

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
For iPad 3 out of warranty it would be $299. If its a software issue they will fix it for free.
Also, how did he come to the conclusion so quick that its the iPad? I would have recommended he tried connecting to other routers, restoring as new, and resetting network settings. The more troubleshooting he does, the less questions Apple will ask

Like I said, he did restore as new, same thing. I also have 2 iPad Mini, iPad 1 and iPad 3. None of them has issue. Since we share one apartment, we are using same wireless network.

So from this, I think it must be hardware issue.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
My roommate's iPad 3's wifi seems not working. You have to get really close to router to get signal, even that, the signal seems very wake. He did the restore but no help.

I suspect his wifi card stopped working. Only problem is his iPad 3 just went out of warranty.

Anyone in this forum encountered similar problem? How much is the cost?

I had the same problem with my iPad 2. Even if you are out of warranty, you can still get it changed at the Apple Store. You might need to pay a bit for it thought, but thats expected because its out of warranty.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
Like I said, he did restore as new, same thing. I also have 2 iPad Mini, iPad 1 and iPad 3. None of them has issue. Since we share one apartment, we are using same wireless network.

So from this, I think it must be hardware issue.

tried resetting network connection on ipad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.