Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I'm assuming Apple Silicon's Target Disk mode (Mac share something something) would also be unusable if FileVault was enabled as well. So while you can't remove the drive, you could successfully copy data without logging in.
No. You can access it using an authorized user account. But again, these are all moot if you keep backups. If you don't have backups you can lose the data on your SSD for any number of reason other than FV. A short in a power regulator, something that affected certain late model MacBooks, will fry your SSD. Making data recovery impossible.

The number one reason that users lose their data permanently is not due to machine failures. But due to user failure, to maintain at least one timely data backup.

I agree, if you have no data stored on your machine that is sensitive (primary email accounts, banking info, investment accounts, family photos, sentimental media, etc.), there's no reason for enabling FV. Otherwise, you should be backing up important/ sensitive data, therefore enabling FV is no risk.

Reactions: NoBoMac and chabig

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Target disk mode is now in the startup options and it's called "Share disk", but you must enter an administrator password into the target machine before it can be seen.

Yikes. I didn't realize none of the previous options for resetting passwords, booting from external disks, target disk mode, or any of the other amazing mac utilities I've used countless times over the past 18 years, no longer work with Apple silicon.
I understand it's in the name of "security" but jeez. It's locked down way too tight for Joe Consumer.

• Wow
Reactions: rocketbuc

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So, should we turn ON FileVault or not? Is it really usefull? Is it worth it?
Turn it on. The "pro" is that your SSD encryption key becomes associated with your user password, making it impossible for bad actors to access your machine without your password. There are no "cons".

Reactions: NoBoMac

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Yikes. I didn't realize none of the previous options for resetting passwords, booting from external disks, target disk mode, or any of the other amazing mac utilities I've used countless times over the past 18 years, no longer work with Apple silicon.
I understand it's in the name of "security" but jeez. It's locked down way too tight for Joe Consumer.
You want the Mac locked down 'tight." Make several backups (on different external and Cloud service) of any important files and you should be fine. No need to fear FileVault.

Reactions: chabig

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
In today's world, so much of Joe Consumer's entire life is digital that security is a necessity. This wasn't true in the past.
But wouldn’t it be nice for those who don’t live that life to have an option?
I have a few macs, some desktop and some laptop, that never leave the house.
I’m no more worried about them than I am any other personal belonging that’s locked inside my home.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So, should we turn ON FileVault or not? Is it really usefull? Is it worth it?
Turn it on. It would be foolish not to.

Is it useful? Yes. It enhances security by requiring external information (a password) to decrypt the data.

Is it worth it? Yes. It enhances security at no cost.

For the best explanation, read this:

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Never used File Vault, have no plans to. I vaguely remember the earlier implementations of FV was bugged. I'm sure it's all good now.

All my sensitive files on my desktop mac, noting on laptops. If someone gains access to my main computer I have more important things to worry about.

Do what works best for your sitioatn, it seems FV works for enough people.

Cham2000

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2022
I'm NOT turning FV ON. I don't need to. And since the Mac OS is more complex than ever, there are too much bugs that could cause the encryption system to go wonky. Maybe FV is now better than what it was in the past, I don't trust Apple and their inevitably buggy hardware/software (and I trust no more all the other buggy apps that play cards with the OS/System/disk...). Whatever what others say. For me, the case is closed.

Reactions: macsound1

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm NOT turning FV ON. I don't need to. And since the Mac OS is more complex than ever, there are too much bugs that could cause the encryption system to go wonky. Maybe FV is now better than what it was in the past, I don't trust Apple and their inevitably buggy hardware/software (I I trust nomore the other buggy apps that plays cards with the OS/System/disk...). Whatever what others say. For me, the case is closed.
Cool story. Leave FileVault off, it's up to you. Your SSD is encrypted either way.

P-Dawg

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2023
FileVault can cause issues with third party Bluetooth devices. With FileVault enabled when your computer is restarted or booted after a shutdown, FileVault will disables all Bluetooth enabled devices, not allowing you to type in your password once prompted. The only devices that will still work upon restart are those that are proprietary to Apple, as those devices have preprogrammed firmware, allowing the keyboard to be recognised by the computer even though FileVault is enabled. For third party Bluetooth devices the only way to get the computer to read these devices upon restart would be to turn off FileVault entirely.

Reactions: macsound1

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Do you guys know which 3rd-party devices work? I am using a Logitech Mechanical Mini keyboard. Any experience with that?

P-Dawg

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2023
My understanding is that no third party Bluetooth devices work upon start-up if FV is active. That said my only experience is with a Satechi Slim X3 keyboard. It was not recognised at the login screen when FV is switched on and worked fine with it switched off. That's on a iMac Pro 2017, 27 inch Retina display running Sonoma 14.2.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.