Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lm2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
hello

id like to know if some people are still able to communicate using xmpp (jabber) servers and SIP (ToIP) servers on old powerpc mac g3/g4?

i tried several software, for xmpp, blocking me with "handshake" ssl failed.
didnt investigated much more...

linphone started developpment while after macos switched to intel.. if any knows some kind of client-software for communicating with those two both protocols?

thank you!

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
There should be plenty of open source clients that you can compile with latest version of openssl (or gnutls). Alternatively if you want to use a native app, probably a MITM proxy to handle the ssl connection on your behalf would work.

lm2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
There should be plenty of open source clients that you can compile with latest version of openssl (or gnutls). Alternatively if you want to use a native app, probably a MITM proxy to handle the ssl connection on your behalf would work.

hello
ty for your reply
well, last time i tried to update openssl by compiling it on a mac, it crashed all the system, stuck at reboot and had to reinstall everything
maybe some xmpp or sip users from old powerpc macs uses specific clients that works nowadays?

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
hello

id like to know if some people are still able to communicate using xmpp (jabber) servers and SIP (ToIP) servers on old powerpc mac g3/g4?

i tried several software, for xmpp, blocking me with "handshake" ssl failed.
didnt investigated much more...

linphone started developpment while after macos switched to intel.. if any knows some kind of client-software for communicating with those two both protocols?

thank you!

pidgin perhaps?

well, last time i tried to update openssl by compiling it on a mac, it crashed all the system, stuck at reboot and had to reinstall everything

Install OpenSSL from Macports, it works fine. Have not encountered described behavior on 10.4–10.6 ppc.

lm2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
pidgin perhaps?

Install OpenSSL from Macports, it works fine. Have not encountered described behavior on 10.4–10.6 ppc.

hello

ty for your answer
well, i was able to install adium on old ppc, but the account status says "ssl handshake failed" so i guess it's from openssl.
but.
i never used "macports", im a newbie in mac world, i saw on website it was possible to download it on intel-based macs, but is it possible to do so easily on a powerpc?
what should i download to try it?

thank you vm!

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
hello

ty for your answer
well, i was able to install adium on old ppc, but the account status says "ssl handshake failed" so i guess it's from openssl.
but.
i never used "macports", im a newbie in mac world, i saw on website it was possible to download it on intel-based macs, but is it possible to do so easily on a powerpc?
what should i download to try it?

thank you vm!

To made Adium work it is likely needed to rebuild it from source.

Macports is downloadable for PowerPC: https://www.macports.org/install.php
However, you will need to build ports. It does not require technical expertise, but it does require some compilation time.

lm2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
To made Adium work it is likely needed to rebuild it from source.

Macports is downloadable for PowerPC: https://www.macports.org/install.php
However, you will need to build ports. It does not require technical expertise, but it does require some compilation time.

so on powerpc both macports/adium could work if it's compiled on the machine, as "easy" but long?
does just a tar/gz + ./make install (kind of linux) would work?

does openssl could be done the same way? i guess it's the most sensitive

does anybody tried to compile it on powerpc to then redistribute binaries eg .dmg?

ty for answers :)

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
so on powerpc both macports/adium could work if it's compiled on the machine, as "easy" but long?
does just a tar/gz + ./make install (kind of linux) would work?

does openssl could be done the same way? i guess it's the most sensitive

does anybody tried to compile it on powerpc to then redistribute binaries eg .dmg?

ty for answers :)

OpenSSL is trivial. It builds normally.

I have no idea about Adium, I never got to writing a port for it. Newer versions are likely to be broken.
Pignin or centrerim should work.

lm2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
OpenSSL is trivial. It builds normally.

I have no idea about Adium, I never got to writing a port for it. Newer versions are likely to be broken.
Pignin or centrerim should work.

i might be probably wrong, but doesnt macports focuses on intel-based macs?
i mean, to compile openssh, and maybe adium, how could i do on old ppc?
is there an howto? or just uncompress the archive and ./make install?

ty :)

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
i might be probably wrong, but doesnt macports focuses on intel-based macs?
i mean, to compile openssh, and maybe adium, how could i do on old ppc?
is there an howto? or just uncompress the archive and ./make install?

ty :)

Well, as a matter of fact, no major software distributor or upstream developer will focus on PowerPC Macs in 2024. This is just impractical, since hardware is scarce, to begin with.

There are developers in Macports however, who contribute to maintaining modern software for PowerPC systems. And AFAIK, there are no real alternatives anyway.

On 10.5.8 ppc using Macports should be fairly straightforward, and supported ports should build without manual tweaks. 10.6 ppc does need some fix-ups (there is a topic for it), and 10.4 does not enjoy much attention, but still supported.
The best user-experience will be on Leopard. (Avoid ppc64 though – but it won’t be used by default anyway.)

To install openssh just do `sudo port install openssh`, it should work.

There is no port for Adium presently. I can asking upstream if there is a point in trying to build old Adium (new versions will not build and no one will bother fixing those since it relies on Cocoa stuff, which is just broken beyond repair).
If they say that it is expected to work, provided linked to a modern SSL lib, I can try finding time to make a port.

Otherwise, you could try pidgin, centerim or something alike. Maybe toxic or abaddon (different protocols, but supposed to support voice calls).

lm2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2023
Well, as a matter of fact, no major software distributor or upstream developer will focus on PowerPC Macs in 2024. This is just impractical, since hardware is scarce, to begin with.

There are developers in Macports however, who contribute to maintaining modern software for PowerPC systems. And AFAIK, there are no real alternatives anyway.

On 10.5.8 ppc using Macports should be fairly straightforward, and supported ports should build without manual tweaks. 10.6 ppc does need some fix-ups (there is a topic for it), and 10.4 does not enjoy much attention, but still supported.
The best user-experience will be on Leopard. (Avoid ppc64 though – but it won’t be used by default anyway.)

To install openssh just do `sudo port install openssh`, it should work.

There is no port for Adium presently. I can asking upstream if there is a point in trying to build old Adium (new versions will not build and no one will bother fixing those since it relies on Cocoa stuff, which is just broken beyond repair).
If they say that it is expected to work, provided linked to a modern SSL lib, I can try finding time to make a port.

Otherwise, you could try pidgin, centerim or something alike. Maybe toxic or abaddon (different protocols, but supposed to support voice calls).

well, i tried, after installed the xcode v4 (most recent one for macos 10.4) and it's blocked on :

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021

Attachments

• IMG_7814.jpeg
    IMG_7814.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.