Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
I cancelled match, but no partial subscription. What I do find annoying is that yiu Actually can’t terminate the subscription early, only the renewal. its screwed a lot of my music up, and i would like my iOS devices to behave as if i didn’t have match but there is no way to do this. Apple has confirmed this. If I have sync enabled it shows all the mess that match has made, but if I unsync, my library is empty and does not even show my iTunes purchases. Total mess. If anyone is in the same boat, please let me know.
Many have had bad experiences with Match, Apple Music or a combination of the two. I dumped Match a few years ago after it ruined some of my library and dumped Apple Music recently after confirming that it is still crap on a Mac. Apple cannot even give paying users a good experience on its own platform. They obviously don't give a damn and as people are still forking over their cash every month, they have little incentive to improve.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This is more of general iTM question. Apple Music is a supposed to include iTunes Match, but I only see an $25 subscribe link from the iTunes Store do I get charged or does it just say that I am already a subscriber and turn it on?

This is for people who have had iTM problems. If I turn off 'sync library' and then revert back to the pre-AM, Music folder I backed-up yesterday, will I have any persistent music library issues?

msephton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Apple Music includes the benefits of iTunes Match without you having to do anything. They're just features of Apple Music at that point, and you can forget about iTunes Match.

Why would you want to turn off sync library out of interest?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Apple Music includes the benefits of iTunes Match without you having to do anything. They're just features of Apple Music at that point, and you can forget about iTunes Match.

Why would you want to turn off sync library out of interest?
My concern is this.

I have spent a lot of time using star ratings and customizing song titles and album names to standardize them for me; I don't want to lose all this hard work with iTM and library sync on devices which don't have the locally-stored songs synced from my Mac.

I have my music folder backed up from yesterday in case the whole thing goes tits-up, but just trying to do as much research as I can.

One more thing, iTM and iCloud Music library don't count against my iCloud storage right?

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Years before Apple Music was even a thing I signed up for iTunes Match as a way to make my legacy ripped CDs accessible across all of my Apple devices.

Today, 6 years late, I learned that Apple Music includes the benefits of iTunes Match!

According to Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204146

The interesting thing is Apple will happily take your money for both, even though iTunes Match is redundant if you have Apple Music.

Compare this to taking out an Apple One sub, any previous subs you have that are superceded (TV+, Apple Music) are automatically cancelled.

But iTunes Match is not cancelled when you take out an Apple Music subscription.

So since taking out an Apple Music sub when it launched I've been paying $25/£22 a year for the last 6 years for an iTunes Match subscription that I didn't need.

Anybody else?
If it was me, I would keep pushing.

I can think back to two occasions when I was paying for something I shouldn't have been. Both were showing up on my bank statements, I just didn't check them carefully.

Many years ago I paid for two years of Xbox Live even after I no longer had a console. Microsoft gave me a full refund because they could see the account hadn't been accessed in that time.

I continued to pay for years of mobile phone insurance through my bank after phoning them to cancel it. They went away and came back with a full refund and some extra cash to say 'sorry'.

Compare that to Apple who know the Match service is totally redundant with Music and they provide nothing? Doesn't seem right to me. I'd spend the time to contact the relevant consumer advocacy groups and authorities in your country, it's normally just a quick email.

jprmercado

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
My concern is this.

I have spent a lot of time using star ratings and customizing song titles and album names to standardize them for me; I don't want to lose all this hard work with iTM and library sync on devices which don't have the locally-stored songs synced from my Mac.

I have my music folder backed up from yesterday in case the whole thing goes tits-up, but just trying to do as much research as I can.

One more thing, iTM and iCloud Music library don't count against my iCloud storage right?

Oh, I've set up my own title conventions, and I can confirm that iTunes Match does not mess those up. Your tracks are matched/uploaded with the names you've given them. Your star ratings aren't effected either, as far as I can tell. Your mobile devices will also reflect those ratings, and you can change the ratings from those devices.

Apple will even let you rename tracks you've saved from Apple Music. Basically however you name your tracks in iTunes/Music, that's how they appear on your mobile devices.

No, iTunes Match and iCloud Music Library do not count against your iCloud storage.

Reactions: msephton

makingmusic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I wrote a blog post about this quoting references.

Apple say:

And

But they don't prevent you subscribing to both. Compare this to Apple One where they automatically cancel your Music/TV+/News subs.

It's a mystery.
I read your blog and when you cancelled Apple Match did anything change in your Apple Music library? I have both services (and have for years) and my Apple Match is renewing in November. Searching posts and thinking it is a waste of my money to renew since I have Apple Music and don’t have an older ATV. Just hoping to get feedback on any pitfalls once Apple Match cancels.

simmi99

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2015
I have had iTunes Match for years and have used it to upload songs that are not in Apple Music. I do have Apple Music so by just having that service I still will be able upload more music that's not in Apple Music and play it across all my devices?

msephton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Yes.

I was in exactly your position. I cancelled my iTunes Match and nothing changed.

Since cancelling I've used my Mac to upload ripped and downloaded music not present in Apple Music. I play it on my Mac, iPhone and Apple TV.

Last edited:

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I just cancelled my renewal of ITM and I have been paying for years as well. I currently have Apple One Premire, but I’ve had Apple Music Family since the service was launched.

I clearly remember that Apple stating that Apple Music was a completely independent service that adds different features than ITM, back when Apple Music was introduced.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.