Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
“What I get tired of” is people thinking that because they have a little money they can get better treatment than other people. Saying things like “I can buy the latest ipad so you have no right to complain cause you bought last years ipad, I dont wanna hear you” that only speaks volumes about YOU. It is very simple if Apple does not want to hear complains from people other than the people with the latest models, well, just dont sell anything besides the latest models!! But Apple is smart, they know they cant do that, the problem is people like you.

No, the problem lies with you. You have an iPad that’s going into its 6th year, and you bought one with insufficient storage even when it was new.
This has nothing to do with “look at me, I can afford $xx”. It has to do with researching what you’re buying and getting what you need.
MacRumors is a great place for help and advice, but there’s little sympathy for whining.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
The amount of storage for “other” is almost the same as the system files!! And no way to delete it. So now we are stuckwith double the system data?? No way. iOS is supposed to be better than that. And I’m tired of that “the system will know when you need the space and automatically give you space” bull, that never happens here.

this ipad may be low on storage, but it runs iOS 14 (ipad air 2) so the system should work better. The only solution is to reset the whole ipad every month, again bull.

that storage is larger than my “apps” storage for gods sake, so tired Of this.
The storage is not ridiculous, but your post is. normally I like 128 GB of storage from my usage in 256 is just icing on the cake. Do you want more, you pay more.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MacManTexas56

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm not making excuses for Apple. As mentioned, I believe they should've made 2GB RAM/32GB storage base 8 years ago.

That said, it's not like my opinion carries any weight with them and it's not as if ranting on these forums would accomplish anything (have you tried Apple Feedback?). It's either pony up the cash or find something else that better suits your needs or learn to live with/work around your current device's limitations.

I once spent $$$$ within a 2-year span and a lot of time rooting and messing around with custom ROMs trying to find iPad alternatives with microSD slot. After money wasted on my 4th or 5th non-Apple tablet, I figured I'm better off sticking with the iPad and paying Apple's ridiculously high storage premiums.

And in fairness to Apple, they stopped making 16GB devices and moved to 32GB base in 2016 which was more than 4 years ago. At this point in time, I expect a lot of the currently supported devices have at least 32GB storage.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Not making excuses, just saying that this is the way it operates. If you don't like the way it works, I'd say move on to a different system but you'll see the same on Android (I have eight Android devices besides my iOS ones so I'm not an "Apple fan").

True. Well, I'm not familiar with how much storage current Android uses but I do recall having only 8GB available on a 16GB device on Oreo.

Heck, on Windows, I expect 30-40GB to be used by the system right off the bat. Thankfully, standard storage is cheap. One can get Phison and Silicon Motion-based 1TB NVMe SSDs for $100-120 while Samsung, you can get for $140-160.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
True. Well, I'm not familiar with how much storage current Android uses but I do recall having only 8GB available on a 16GB device on Oreo.

Heck, on Windows, I expect 30-40GB to be used by the system right off the bat. Thankfully, standard storage is cheap. One can get Phison and Silicon Motion-based 1TB NVMe SSDs for $100-120 while Samsung, you can get for $140-160.

Yeah, it's a simple fact that with any s/w, expanded capabilities & functionality will make memory utilization grow.

michaelsmith22

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2021
Also, to clarify, the original post was about the way storage is managed. Nobody expects top performance from an ipad air 2, but we also dont expect this trouble for basic use.

The main issue, as stated, is that we have double the data of the system files, with no way to delete it, not that the data exists. Why not just put the data against the app that is producing it?? So I can get rid of the app.

THAT is the complain. not that we want an old ipad to function as a new one.

Probably the most heavy use app I have on it is Numbers. I cant figure out where all the ”other” stuff is coming from.

I have a Flixtor pro account for streaming in Safari, but I clean cache like 20 times a day.
Spotify is usually the culprit on my iPhone, all the downloads contribute to the 'other'. Had you tried backing it up and doing a full reset? HTH.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Yeah, it's a simple fact that with any s/w, expanded capabilities & functionality will make memory utilization grow.

This is true but I would like to add a bit to the discussion. I would not compare Windows and Android devices with iOS on that matter because I can add SD cards to those devices and thus store my media in different place that does not fight with the storage the system uses.

In this regard IMO iOS devices are different. Now I am not saying that Apple will listen to me and do what I want :D . I am saying that I always have this in mind when it comes to an iOS device and I either pay for enough storage or I do not buy it at all. It really depends on my needs as I do not pay for iCloud and I do not want to rely on cloud services.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
This is true but I would like to add a bit to the discussion. I would not compare Windows and Android devices with iOS on that matter because I can add SD cards to those devices and thus store my media in different place that does not fight with the storage the system uses.

In this regard IMO iOS devices are different. Now I am not saying that Apple will listen to me and do what I want :D . I am saying that I always have this in mind when it comes to an iOS device and I either pay for enough storage or I do not buy it at all. It really depends on my needs as I do not pay for iCloud and I do not want to rely on cloud services.
I do the same as I also don't use cloud services for general data store and access. I buy the largest storage affordable and will supplement with an external SSD - Apple's absurd memory costs make it a balancing act and contribute to the argument over system memory utilization.

Reactions: secretk

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Android might be headed in the same direction. I really like the Samsung S21, but no SD card slot.

Storage does seem to be more of a pain since iPad OS 13. Never thought I’d get to 55GB used of 64, but could dump probably 20GB+ of downloads if I needed the space. Apple did me a favour not offering a 32GB mini.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Another thread about that here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.