Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your s4 screen affected by vertical line issue or uneven tint display?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
My S4 SSS has it. Watch arrived yesterday. I noticed the gradient at the edge of screen as I used directions to my hotel this evening. Sure enough, using the Reddit image at normal brightness shows up bleeding around the circumference like many here have posted. Kinda disappointing after spending so much to upgrade from my Alu S3 to SS S4.

Eisi

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2018
Austria
My Series 4 Nike 40mm also had it. Super annoying because it was visible on the vapor watchface which I loved.
The screen also looked grainy in some parts of the systems (e.g. gray buttons in settings or app list in grid view).
I sent the watch back one week after delivery.

Here's a comparison of my Series 0 (left) and the Series 4 Nike screen mid brightness.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14e3.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14e3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 285

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My Series 4 Nike 40mm also had it. Super annoying because it was visible on the vapor watchface which I loved.
The screen also looked grainy in some parts of the systems (e.g. gray buttons in settings or app list in grid view).
I sent the watch back one week after delivery.

Here's a comparison of my Series 0 (left) and the Series 4 Nike screen mid brightness.

That’s definitely one of the worst cases I have seen with your comparison side-by-side. I definitely woudl forward that picture to Apple and have them replace your watch with a replacement device, as you have a clear case.

Eisi

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2018
Austria
That’s definitely one of the worst cases I have seen with your comparison side-by-side. I definitely woudl forward that picture to Apple and have them replace your watch with a replacement device, as you have a clear case.

Nah, I already got my money back.

People already posted that some replacement watches are having the same issue. IMO it‘s not worth taking the day off just to wait for UPS guy.

There was some optional textbox for comments when I initiated the refund. I explained all the issue there.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Mine has it... Smh

Attachments

• 03921F7D-FBED-4A02-A3E1-64260EF1BC49.jpeg
    03921F7D-FBED-4A02-A3E1-64260EF1BC49.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 308
  • 22854CEF-CC4A-42B1-A892-77CCEAE23477.jpeg
    22854CEF-CC4A-42B1-A892-77CCEAE23477.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 301

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
im waiting to get a new unit. They are sending a new one for me and im sending mine back to them after receiving the new unit. On the phone they said that if the screen isnt uniform, it is faulty. But unfortunately it was the same old story ”This the first time i hear about it.” Phuh! they should change that old cliched record... no one believes it!

Reactions: Eisi

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
It would be great if you could turn off auto-brightness on the watch, then this wouldn't be noticable if you set your brightness to half or full. I hate that I set my brightness to 100% and most of the time the watch thinks better of it and displays a low brightness.

Zdodo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016
Series 4 new LTPO OLED panel & Grey uniformity issues - Something needs to be done.

Bought my first Apple Watch a few days ago, and to my dismay, I noticed that the right side of the screen was a lighter grey than the rest of the screen when displaying anything grey.

I went on to investigate the matter, and as fas as I can tell from threads here on Macrumors, Reddit and elsewhere, quite a few people are affected by this issue. While I realize that the non-techy majority, or even the techy person with a uniform screen is unlikely to ever read about the matter not to mention comment on threads about it, I have yet to see a single picture of an entirely uniform Series 4 screen (not to say they don't exist, just underlining the incidence of the issue)

Now, as I said, there are already a few threads about this issue at large, namely focusing on whether people have the issue on their watches or not. That is not the preferred point of discussion of this thread.

Rather, as Apple has implemented their new LTPO OLED panels in the Series 4, and considering the issue does not affect Series 3 models or older, it would seem to be an issue caused by these new screens. It therefore serves purpose to discuss how this matter can be brought to Apple's attention in a way that they will address and fix this (I'm sure they are already aware of the issue - but this doesn't mean they will do anything about it).

Perhaps it has already been fixed in the latest batches of the watches, however, the chance of the status quo remaining unchanged is just as high. How do you think this can be brought to Apple's attention in a way that results in future batches of the watch not having this issue, or do you believe the only way is to wait for series 5 (which I really hope is not the case).

P.S. I'm well aware of several forum members considering this issue minuscule at best, something that "needs to specifically be looked for", and shouldn't be worried about. However, for several other individuals, this is simply an unacceptable issue that needs to be fixed, and therefore warrants discussions.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I have got a little bit of uniformity on the left side. It's visible when scrolling through grey lists like in messages, and when entering the PIN. It's a lot brighter in a spot along the edge and there's a darker vertical line along the left side.

I would probably have returned it and placed a new order if the delivery times weren't so bad. I'll see if I'll have it replaced under warranty but then I'm going to be without a watch for a week or two and I just enjoy it way too much (and also want to close my rings every day)

Zdodo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016
Well I’ve not got the issue on my 44mm series 4.

Could you be so kind as to open the attached picture on your watch in a dark setting, taking a picture of it, and sending it here? I would really appreciate it.

Edit: Just noticed you have an S2? Apparently older models are not affected by this.
[doublepost=1542932748][/doublepost]
I totally agree with you.....you shouldn't get one.

Not really sure whether you actually agree with this or are implying you think I'm stupid for not accepting flaws like this on a 500€ watch.
[doublepost=1542932892][/doublepost]
I have got a little bit of uniformity on the left side. It's visible when scrolling through grey lists like in messages, and when entering the PIN. It's a lot brighter in a spot along the edge and there's a darker vertical line along the left side.

I would probably have returned it and placed a new order if the delivery times weren't so bad. I'll see if I'll have it replaced under warranty but then I'm going to be without a watch for a week or two and I just enjoy it way too much (and also want to close my rings every day)

Pretty much exactly what I had, except it was on the right side. Replacing it under warranty won't alleviate the problem though in case this is affecting watches as widely as it would seem, if Apple does not change something in their manufacturing process.

Attachments

• IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 219

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Pretty much exactly what I had, except it was on the right side. Replacing it under warranty won't alleviate the problem though in case this is affecting watches as widely as it would seem, if Apple does not change something in their manufacturing process.

The picture is what you're seeing, right? IMHO there is no right or wrong here....it's all a matter of personal preference. For me it would depend on how much time a day I spent looking at that picture. I have my watch set on the new Infograph face, and since I use my S4 daily for phone, text, and email notifications, sleep tracking, reminders, Bring, Breathe, weather, calendar events, text messages, music, and workouts, not to mention the time and date, I spend not a single nanosecond looking at an all-gray screen with zero information on it. Now, if I were spending ANY amount of time looking at all-gray screens on my watch, and I was unhappy with what I saw, I would immediately return the watch and invest instead in some cognitive behavioral therapy to help combat my OCD.

But again, that's what I would do.

Zdodo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016
The picture is what you're seeing, right? IMHO there is no right or wrong here....it's all a matter of personal preference. For me it would depend on how much time a day I spent looking at that picture. I have my watch set on the new Infograph face, and since I use my S4 daily for phone, text, and email notifications, sleep tracking, reminders, Bring, Breathe, weather, calendar events, text messages, music, and workouts, not to mention the time and date, I spend not a single nanosecond looking at an all-gray screen with zero information on it. Now, if I were spending ANY amount of time looking at all-gray screens on my watch, and I was unhappy with what I saw, I would immediately return the watch and invest instead in some cognitive behavioral therapy to help combat my OCD.

But again, that's what I would do.

So, you really think consumers should just accept faulty screens and let Apple get away with it, because ”Hey, I’m also looking at other than grey things on my watch”. Or because it doesn’t bother you in particular, anyone who is bothered by this naturally has OCD (nice indirect ad hominem there).

Besides, I am not actively looking at that grey picture (which of course you knew but you just had to be condescending), rather its purpose lies in making it easier to check whether your screen is faulty. The unevenness is still visible elsewhere but to a lesser degree, such as the app list, settings etc.

And no, just the picture as such isn’t what me or anyone else affected by the issue is seeing (see attached picture).

In general, I do not see the need to attack individuals who do not share your exact expectations of a product.

A9CE1048-016A-42A6-B719-64AC16DD7900.png

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
So, you really think consumers should just accept faulty screens and let Apple get away with it, because ”Hey, I’m also looking at other than grey things on my watch”. Or because it doesn’t bother you in particular, anyone who is bothered by this naturally has OCD (nice indirect ad hominem there).

Besides, I am not actively looking at that grey picture (which of course you knew but you just had to be condescending), rather its purpose lies in making it easier to check whether your screen is faulty. The unevenness is still visible elsewhere but to a lesser degree, such as the app list, settings etc.

And no, just the picture as such isn’t what me or anyone else affected by the issue is seeing (see attached picture).

In general, I do not see the need to attack individuals who do not share your exact expectations of a product.

View attachment 805986

Whoa, whoa....why do you feel attacked? We are just having a discussion, and sharing opinions. That’s what IMHO means, remember? Do you usually feel persecuted when you hear an opinion or point of view that doesn’t agree with your perception of reality?

Tell you what....let’s back up. Show us a picture of any screen you actually use....Settings, App list.....anything that displays this uneveness. I’m genuinely interested in whether you have a defective screen or not.

Thanks!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

View attachment 805986

The Reality is, you have two options: A.) You simply keep the product and live with the fact that you have a defective display or, B.), Address the issue with Apple, and allow them to issue a replacement device. So which is it? Because you seem disgruntled about your display, which is understandable, but pick an option and move forward versus complaining.

We know that _some_watches are affected with the unevenness, what what we don’t know, is the Series 4 display may be an anomaly or a consistent issue that is variable with severity with more extreme measures or minimal with the display unevenness.

My thoughts are that most of the Series 4 displays may have some slight variation of an unevenness to a degree, but to what extent? It really depends on the individual who is looking for it and knowing what to look for.

Reactions: dcpmark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.