Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benobi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
Tweener (noun) - a device that is in between. Not having the benefits of one or the other. Awkwardly in the middle.

I, like some others, have been on the fence in regards to the classic 12.9“ vs 11” debate. I ended up ordering both and have put them to the test over the past few days as a tablet (no Magic Keyboard). My conclusion: the 11” is a tweener. Not quite portable enough to replace my phone, but not large enough to carry many of the distinct benefits of a full-sized tablet.

To me, it exists in some awkward middle ground. While smaller and lighter than the 12.9, it can still get a bit uncomfortable to hold in one hand for long periods of time (unlike my phone). However, when I rest it on my chest (when laying down) or my leg (when in a chair) the device is not nearly as compelling to use as the 12.9 because of its smaller screen and the distance between me and the device. The on-screen keyboard in portrait mode is just a little too large to thumb type with two hands, but is just a little too cramped to use in landscape (where as the 12.9 offers a nice full size on-screen keyboard). Many sites (including MacRumors) also default to the mobile version when using the 11” in portrait mode. With the Apple Pencil, note-taking with splitscreen feels a little cramped, Procreate requires much more zooming in and out, and photo-editing and movie watching is just less engrossing due to the smaller size and less dynamic screen.

I really wanted to like the 11”. I am a person who values portability quite a bit, however, I am also someone who values productivity and purpose. I want each of my devices to serve a distinct purpose in order for me to justify spending my hard-earned money on them. Between my phone and my M1 MacBook Air, the 11” seems to fall in an awkward crack for me. Not as portable as my phone, not as compelling to use as my MBA. The 12.9, while having a similar footprint to the Air, is an altogether different experience than either. If i need to do a lot of writing, slideshow creating, or hardcore multitasking, the Air is still the best device for it. However, if i am just going to browse the internet, watch a movie, edit a photo, or mark up a script, the 12.9 iPad is so much more fun and satisfying to use. The new XDR Screen is bright and dynamic and engrossing. For me, the 12.9” is decidedly better than both my phone and my Air in some use case. The 11” was always a little worse than either.

Does anyone else agree?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I do. Although my iPad replaced my MacBook Pro. I have an iMac, so when I need to do some real stuff I go to my desk, but 95% of the time the iPad does everything I need it do do. So I didn't need my MacBook anymore. My MacBook has been sitting on the shelve for months without being used. I also wanted to like the 11", but I found like you I preferred the larger screen for some things, and I use my iPhone for others, so I didn't want to compromise on screen quality or size.

But, that is why there are many sizes. Because there are many people with many different opinions. So to each their own.

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
I LIKE the 11", but it is more my consumption device. My daughter (13) LOVES the size of it, for Procreate, so that is the one she is getting (2018). She also is wanting to do animation.... It was also my "fun" device, played games on it etc.... Also the 1st one I grab when I am out waiting at a Dr appt (for others).

My 12.9 is my workhorse. I don't play games on it etc LOL. I think I recently added some to check them out. I also recently got a iPad mini, because the 11" was too big to hold in my hand without support. The mini is perfect for that!!!

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
I've used the 12.9 as my only iPad since release in November 2018; for me at least the 12.9 is the ultimate tweener: not quite an iPad not quite a Laptop replacement.

First 6 months with the 12.9 I tried to go all iPad as mobile computer - but the iPad versions of Microsoft Office never quite managed to close the gaps for my needs (think 2-3 instances of excel, word, powerpoint, multiple Edge tabs etc. all open in parrallel), but I certain did give it a try! Now I'm rocking an M1 macBook air, which has no iPad limitations etc. etc.

Currently I only use the 12.9 for studying math. and phys. using PDF Expert and LiquidText. Albeit great, but too in-between for me with that limited usage.

I've been waiting for the 2021 release and is now scaling down to the 11", which is perfect for me (easy for books and trade magazines, LiquidText supports vertical splits, OneNote with apple pen is sweet on 11", and I can easily review documents on 11" compared to 12.9). I expect the iPad will once again become my 99.99% waking hours companion ?

Edit: none of my kids were interested in taking over on the 12.9 ("That's an iPad Daddy? Thanks but .. no thanks"). Luckily one of my nieces has a thriving online gig selling digital art, so the 12.9 will find a happy home with her and Procreate ?

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Sort of, yeah. But it does everything well enough for that to be okay. I think an ~11” 4:3 iPad would be just about the ‘perfect’ size.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I have both the 11 and 12.9 sizes, and can't really choose one over the other. They both have their compromises, and their qualities. If I had to have only one, and it wasn't my primary computing device, I'd go with the 11, because I can one-hand that thing all day. If I had to pick one, and it was my primary computing device, then definitely the 12.9. And if I watched videos on the iPad (I use my OLED TV for this 99% of the time), then I would go with the M1 12.9, the screen is pretty nice with HDR.

I also don't like how web pages get reformatted for portrait mode on the 11... it wasn't like that with the earlier iPads. It does happen with the 12.9 as well, just to lesser of an extent.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For me, 10-11” is my Goldilocks-size for iPads. Easy to carry in my purses while the screen is far less cramped than iPhones.

Using the 12.9” in bed at ~1 ft distance, it actually feels too big at times. Kinda like sitting in the front row of a movie theater or too close to the TV.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
I used to think that the 12.9-inch iPad Pro was the ultimate iPad, and that I'd never go back to a smaller screen. I do a lot of digital art, so the notion that I needed as big a 'canvas' as I could get wasn't one I could shake.

I happily used the 12.9 iPad for a long while, and as before I wouldn't entertain the thought of dropping down a size.

Then, I got the iPad mini (5th Gen). That's what changed my opinion on the 12.9.

I bought the mini for sketching on the commute to work, but over time, I found that I enjoyed using the iPad mini over the iPad Pro 12.9. I know, you couldn't get more opposite.

Still, despite the comfort and portability I loved about the iPad mini, it was far too small for full-time digital art. Sketching was fine, but big compositions were way too cramped.

I figured I'd keep the iPad mini and the iPad Pro and use the mini when out and about, and the Pro when I was at home. But I don't like to have duplicate devices if I can help it.

That's when I considered consolidating both the mini and the Pro into one and went with the 11-inch. I must say, I think the 11-inch is, as someone else put it, my 'Goldilocks' size. Overall for me, the 12.9 inch became cumbersome to use and it took getting the mini for me to realise that. The 11-inch has everything I like about both iPads. Yes, it is a tweener, even in my use case, but for me that makes it just right.

TL DR - Used to love the 12.9 iPad Pro, got the iPad mini to use for travelling, realised that the 12.9 was actually quite cumbersome after all. Still, the mini was too small to be used as the 'main' iPad, so I went with the 11-inch and it's just right.

EDIT: It is worth mentioning though, that if I didn't have the 13-inch MacBook Air, I probably would stick with the 12.9 iPad Pro. The 12.9-inch iPad pro is the better 'laptop replacement' whereas the 11-inch iPad Pro is the better tablet imo.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I used to think that the 12.9-inch iPad Pro was the ultimate iPad, and that I'd never go back to a smaller screen. I do a lot of digital art, so the notion that I needed as big a 'canvas' as I could get wasn't one I could shake.

I happily used the 12.9 iPad for a long while, and as before I wouldn't entertain the thought of dropping down a size.

Then, I got the iPad mini (5th Gen). That's what changed my opinion on the 12.9.

I bought the mini for sketching on the commute to work, but over time, I found that I enjoyed using the iPad mini over the iPad Pro 12.9. I know, you couldn't get more opposite.

Still, despite the comfort and portability I loved about the iPad mini, it was far too small for full-time digital art. Sketching was fine, but big compositions were way too cramped.

I figured I'd keep the iPad mini and the iPad Pro and use the mini when out and about, and the Pro when I was at home. But I don't like to have duplicate devices if I can help it.

That's when I considered consolidating both the mini and the Pro into one and went with the 11-inch. I must say, I think the 11-inch is, as someone else put it, my 'Goldilocks' size. Overall for me, the 12.9 inch became cumbersome to use and it took getting the mini for me to realise that. The 11-inch has everything I like about both iPads. Yes, it is a tweener, even in my use case, but for me that makes it just right.

TL DR - Used to love the 12.9 iPad Pro, got the iPad mini to use for travelling, realised that the 12.9 was actually quite cumbersome after all. Still, the mini was too small to be used as the 'main' iPad, so I went with the 11-inch and it's just right.

EDIT: It is worth mentioning though, that if I didn't have the 13-inch MacBook Air, I probably would stick with the 12.9 iPad Pro. The 12.9-inch iPad pro is the better 'laptop replacement' whereas the 11-inch iPad Pro is the better tablet imo.
Really love these thoughts. Well said. Thanks for writing that up.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
I opened my new 12.9 M1 last night and as gorgeous as it is, my immediate first kneejerk reaction was "Oh s**t it's too big, what have I done?!" I had panicky thoughts of whether I should return it and get an 11, but then the 11 is still LCD and I had promised myself I wouldn't upgrade my 10.5 Pro until there is a new type of screen (I thought it'd be OLED, but now MiniLED has arrived)... but I already have a taker on my 10.5 so that one's being sold.

However, morning 2 and I'm coming around to it. The screen is beautiful and it's not as hard to carry around or hold as my very first impression made me worry. I'm just used to the 10.5 so that'll have to fade anyway. I plan on running to the store for a folio (I need to look at that Navy and that Mallard Green because all the user pictures online make the Green look way more blue than the publicity stills). Once it's in a case, it'll feel less fragile to me and I can get a better sense of handling it and if I'm ok with the size. Thinking I want the Pencil now but I'm wondering if the Pencil 3 is right around the corner due to the April rumors...

All that said, I think the 11 inch is a very good size for a tablet, putting a premium on portability. I think I'm going to love my 12.9, but it is going to be a little bit of an adjustment, coming from my 10.5. We shall see how it goes.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
I have an 11 with the Magic Keyboard and I like how it fits in the mix with my devices. I don't use it a lot, but if I'm going to a meeting or gathering where I might want to take notes but don't want to do anything substantial, it's my first choice because of how small and light it is. With that said, reading your post I 100% agree, my iPad was assigned to me at work so I didn't choose it, when it comes time for a new one I'll probably get the 12. Thanks for your post!

Reactions: Tagbert

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I have the 11 and 12.9 sitting right next to each other right now as I decide which to keep. Leaning towards 12.9 because it just seems like an actual new device. The 11 to me doesn't seem much different than previous ones of that size. The mini LED screen is a beauty, really need to see it with your own eyes to see that difference.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I tried out the 11" iPad Pro back last November. I was coming from a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5. The slightly larger screen was noticeable and welcome. The flat design of the iPad Pro makes it difficult to scoop up compared to the curved aluminum edges on the 10.5 model. I ended up returning the 11" iPad Pro because I felt that for the price, it was a waste of money. Lets say I sold my 10.5 for $400 (very lucky if I did) the iPad Pro 11 was $1199. So $800 down the drain for something every so slightly faster when loading Asphalt or Need For Speed, or exporting 4K. These are all things I only do every so often.

$800 for a slightly larger screen, and Face ID was not worth it. Now the price of the 1TB 11" has gone up even higher. :( I can't justify $1000+ on a media consumption and web browsing device. I'd rather put it towards a real computer, so I'm waiting for the redesigned MacBook Pro

Reactions: Broadus and MrEcted

ronster22

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
Going to the Apple store tonight for an Airpods service call for my wife...will look at the screen quality differences between the 11” and the 12.9”...I want to get the 11” but now I’m doubting myself...

Reactions: mr_jomo

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Actually I always thought the 12.9 was the tweener. To big to be portable in many situations while still a small screen compared to my 27 inch iMac. I hate watching movies on any iPad. 11 is perfect size for me.

twarburg

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2021
I opened my new 12.9 M1 last night and as gorgeous as it is, my immediate first kneejerk reaction was "Oh s**t it's too big, what have I done?!" I had panicky thoughts of whether I should return it and get an 11, but then the 11 is still LCD and I had promised myself I wouldn't upgrade my 10.5 Pro until there is a new type of screen (I thought it'd be OLED, but now MiniLED has arrived)... but I already have a taker on my 10.5 so that one's being sold.

However, morning 2 and I'm coming around to it. The screen is beautiful and it's not as hard to carry around or hold as my very first impression made me worry. I'm just used to the 10.5 so that'll have to fade anyway. I plan on running to the store for a folio (I need to look at that Navy and that Mallard Green because all the user pictures online make the Green look way more blue than the publicity stills). Once it's in a case, it'll feel less fragile to me and I can get a better sense of handling it and if I'm ok with the size. Thinking I want the Pencil now but I'm wondering if the Pencil 3 is right around the corner due to the April rumors...

All that said, I think the 11 inch is a very good size for a tablet, putting a premium on portability. I think I'm going to love my 12.9, but it is going to be a little bit of an adjustment, coming from my 10.5. We shall see how it goes.
Just so u know, they are both LCD screens :)

Reactions: calstanford

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I have used portable computers since they were the size of sewing machines. I went from a 12” Windows ultraportable to a 13” and it was too big. Next up was a Surface Pro 3. Still too big. Then a Surface 3. Better but not quite right. Surface Go was the perfect physical size and when the Go 2 came out (same physical size but slightly larger screen because of reduced bezels), that’s it.

I started with the 9.7” Pro, then the 10.5” Pro, and then the 2018 11” Pro, now the 2021 11” Pro. I carry my devices a lot and that 11” size is my sweet spot, especially since sometimes I’m toting several at once.

I think a lot of it depends on our individual uses and what makes us each more comfortable for whatever reasons. The 12.9” iPad is of no interest to me because it’s “too big”. However, I can see why it’s the right fit for lots of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.