Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah. 11" feels cramped to use a productivity tool and too big to use as an entertainment device.
As someone who uses their iPad primarily as an entertainment device, I find the 12.9 inch to be so much better than the 11 for that. I never found the 11 too big for it and actually now it seems small compared to the 12.9.

Reactions: pdoherty

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Whistler, BC
I have the 11 and 12.9 sitting right next to each other right now as I decide which to keep. Leaning towards 12.9 because it just seems like an actual new device. The 11 to me doesn't seem much different than previous ones of that size. The mini LED screen is a beauty, really need to see it with your own eyes to see that difference.
yeah i was in your shows last weekend, finally ended up with the 11" and very happy with it! I have a 13" MBP and a 14" work computer, i just didnt think i needed another large device! I love the size of the 11" i found myself just grabbing it more, the 12.9 sitting more.... i take the 11" on the boat, to the cafe, its easy to haul around. and not too small, truly a SWEET spot!

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
I did not but I’ve been using my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 and the difference is night and day. The 11” was good for what I used it, but the 12.9 is powerful and beautiful. I am in love with the display. It’s so crisp. Everything just flows and Safari is so…snappy.

Reactions: MacMandy

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
It's the perfect size for me. If I need a bigger screen, I likely need a real computer (laptop). If I want a smaller screen, I want to be more portable (phone). The 11" is perfect for replacing paper, which is 95% of how I use it.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Eventually the 11” iPP will get the XDR screen. That’s just technical evolution as most everyone already knows, it’s likely that it wasn’t ready for release as the 12.9” so it retained the ProMotion display.

Just a guess here but as a “tweener device” would that not be the previous generation iPP line? Wasn’t impressed but sold on the current 12.9.

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
As ‘tweeners’ go... (that’s a strange word!) the 12.9” is more in that thinking than the 11” for me. Once you get into that larger size and weight, and then add a folio keyboard, you are in MacBook territory. And for work, l’d much rather be using Mac OS. The one exception may be in HDR editing, and for touch input, with that mini-LED XDR screen. The 11” is my ‘personal’ device; easy to carry without a second thought, easier to hold in one hand, large enough screen area close in my lap, emails/web/media are all covered without the bulk, and I can use it now and then with my external Magic Keyboard for work. Ease of use it's the 11”, and for ‘more’ it's a MBP for me. But I do understand the appeal of a ‘bigger is better’ 12.9”, depending on how your devices fit in your ‘tweening.’ ;-)

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
We have both the 11” seems like a mini next to the 12.9”. It’s all i have now i wouldn’t want the 11” to be my only computing device, too small.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
We have both the 11” seems like a mini next to the 12.9”. It’s all i have now i wouldn’t want the 11” to be my only computing device, too small.
Spot on, guess some people really love the portability of the 11”, personally after buying the first gen 12.9” iPad, I can’t go back to anything smaller.

Bring on the 17” iPad Pro Super Retina XDR display. 😎

You think these trolls are having a field day with this fake blooming nonsense at the moment, wait till they see that 17” screen in front of them 😁😍 TAKE MY MONEY RIGHT NOW!!!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I ultimately went with the 11" iPad Pro, because that's the size which allows me to hold it in one hand comfortably and walk around the classroom with. The 12.9" model was simply too big for my comfort. It's the goldilocks size for me.

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
I want the 12.9 but I lean back in bed for a long time watching stuff and am afraid it will be too heavy. Also concerned about typing on the screen while holding (I primarily hold in landscape). 11” MKB also already felt too heavy and bulky in comparison with the luxurious feeling of holding the iPad naked. I’m concerned the 12.9 setup would just feel like carrying a cinderblock around.

If not for those concerns, I’d have the 12.9. But I watch everything on my 11”. Have no TV. Have a MBA 13“ but it feels too cumbersome for most of the stuff I do so I end up just reaching for the iPad. Open to getting rid of MBA and just relying on a Windows desktop for taxes and stuff if 12.9 panned out tho

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
12.9 on the desk with the desktop computer. Its a fantastic desktop companion device, but I cannot stand it for more than 5 minutes off the desk [bed, sofa etc]

11 in the bag with the laptop. Ultimate work from anywhere set up [laptop will be a 14"M MBP once released most likely but depends on the GPU's]

both do what they need to do and I dont see it is as one or the other. Expensive though..............

Reactions: LibbyLA

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I have the 11 and 12.9 sitting right next to each other right now as I decide which to keep. Leaning towards 12.9 because it just seems like an actual new device. The 11 to me doesn't seem much different than previous ones of that size. The mini LED screen is a beauty, really need to see it with your own eyes to see that difference.
Yes. I wouldn’t have bought the 2021 11” since I have the 2018.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I still can’t fathom why people paid 2020 money for a basically 2018 iPad.
because we can?

noticeably faster
better screen
more RAM

It has already made my fee paying work more pleasurable so theres that too.

I think if it is 'personal' money, they yes I wouldn't have upgraded. But it helps pay the bills, and I never compromise on work tools. Only blinkered people do that thinking they are saving money

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
because we can?

noticeably faster
better screen
more RAM

It has already made my fee paying work more pleasurable so theres that too.

I think if it is 'personal' money, they yes I wouldn't have upgraded. But it helps pay the bills, and I never compromise on work tools. Only blinkered people do that thinking they are saving money
I was talking about the 2020 iPad. Despite having one more GPU core which you won’t notice, It also has the same screen. The only upgrade was 2GB more RAM (but no RAM increase if you have time 1TB 2018).

Even for a big Apple fan like me I couldn’t justify buying it to replace the 2018 even if I can sell the 2018. But to each their own.
I don’t need you to justify your purchase to me. You don’t need to. I just can’t understand why anyone would upgrade from 2018-2020. And I still don’t understand.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
in the bag with the laptop. Ultimate work from anywhere set up [laptop will be a 14"M MBP once released most likely but depends on the GPU's]
Not the 16”? 🤔

If the bezels are thin all around the screen, I’m going to be all over it faster than the trolls were on the non blooming issue on the iPad.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
…I want each of my devices to serve a distinct purpose in order for me to justify spending my hard-earned money on them. Between my phone and my M1 MacBook Air…
Strange that you say this but admit your phone covers the small, hold all day tasks, and your laptop fills your computer needs of a larger screen. So, maybe the 11” is a ‘tweener’, but from your own post, it’s the only niche where you don’t have a purpose covered. Purpose - quick, ultra portable, capable device with touch and pencil support. I don’t care, but I just feel like you are justifying the 12.9 for its own sake and not necessarily for a specific use case Like you are claiming.

Since getting the 12.9, I do use my phone more for quick browsing - I don’t haul out the huge iPad. And I have a 13” M1 mbp for work intensive tasks. I think the 12.9 iPad is redundant in many ways. If the mled came to the 11”, I would have gone with that one for the exact reason that it IS a ‘tweener’. But I’ve always wanted to try a 12.9” iPad and felt this was finally the time.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I was talking about the 2020 iPad. Despite having one more GPU core which you won’t notice, It also has the same screen. The only upgrade was 2GB more RAM (but no RAM increase if you have time 1TB 2018).

Even for a big Apple fan like me I couldn’t justify buying it to replace the 2018 even if I can sell the 2018. But to each their own.
I don’t need you to justify your purchase to me. You don’t need to. I just can’t understand why anyone would upgrade from 2018-2020. And I still don’t understand.

FWIW I upgraded from a 256gb 2018 to a 1tb 2021.

The difference isnt huge, but am not trying to justify anything to anyone. I bought this to make more money, not to show off on forums.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Would have to disagree. For me the 11" (and 10.5" I had before) are the ideal size. I can get a lot of work done on it and I can carry it anywhere I need without knowing I have it on me.

itunexify

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2020
Italy
The 11” iPad Pro doesn’t make any sense at all. With that screen dimension, considering what you can do with a 11” screen, the iPad Air is the right choice, in my opinion. Also, Apple apps on the 12.9” have the same layout of macOS apps, on the 11” there are that terrible popup menus

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
The way I always look at these devices is you never want the iPad Pro to be close in size to your iPhone. So if you're a person that likes to use the iPhone Pro Max then an iPad Pro 11 inch won't be a big enough difference. Your mind will think "I can just use my iPhone." You won't think that when you have a 12.9 inch. I always make sure the difference in size between my iPhone and iPad Pro is as big as possible.

iPad Pro 11 inch only makes sense if your iPhone is one of the smaller sizes as well. And the productivity on the 12.9 is a beauty to experience because of the screen real estate (and now the new XDR screen).

Reactions: Matcha and haruhiko
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.