Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnsterdam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2021
When I try to merge all windows, Safari sometimes crashes losing all of them; and sometimes just doesn't do it and you lose lots. Is it just me? I'm using latest (public) versions of everything on MBP14.

Example just now - I had two windows open, each with about 30 tabs. I clicked merge. They looked like they'd merged, but when I clicked on any of the ones that had merged into the window I was in, it would just show a blank page with an empty url. Bizarre. Has now happened a few times, but only recently so I assume it's a bug with the latest version of Safari?

mrcslws

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2022
This has been happening again and again ever since I upgraded to Safari 16. It still occurs in 16.1, after upgrading to MacOS Ventura 13.0, even with all extensions disabled. I lose a bunch of tabs every week due to this bug...

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Another bug:

"Merge all windows" will delete all pinned tabs.

To simulate this bug: have two safari windows, with lots of tabs each. Now pin a few tabs, and then merge all windows. The merge works, but the pinned tabs will disappear. Which is the most obnoxious destructive bug because the pinned tabs are obviously of high importance, and may be tabs you've collected over several days. Good luck remembering everything you pinned.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Another bug:

"Merge all windows" will delete all pinned tabs.

To simulate this bug: have two safari windows, with lots of tabs each. Now pin a few tabs, and then merge all windows. The merge works, but the pinned tabs will disappear. Which is the most obnoxious destructive bug because the pinned tabs are obviously of high importance, and may be tabs you've collected over several days. Good luck remembering everything you pinned.
Fixed in macOS Ventura 13.1, todays update 👍

johnsterdam

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Not anymore for me. However one related thing is - note that if you have created/named a group of tabs, in one window, and you have another window that isn’t a ‘tab group’, when you merge all windows it doesn’t merge the tab group into the non tab group. I guess that’s as you’d expect, but if you forgot one was a tab group, it can seem like a bug. But the initial problem I had has gone for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.