Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abhishek23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
I was wondering if anyone else will be sticking with their iPhone 6 in 2017. With the launch of the SE and the imminent launch of the 7, just wanted to know if anyone is hanging on to their 6. Also, will you update to iOS 10?(my phone already feels a little laggy on iOS 9 so I may hold off).

I will probably upgrade to the 7s in 2017 or 2018

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
To be honest, I was planning on it, as I have been happy with its performance still, and suspect iOS 10 won't cause too much trouble (plenty of other A8 devices in Apple's lineup). Still, I'm very tempted to pick up an SE, as I'm a fan of the form factor and wouldn't mind the little speed boost and better rear camera. Plus, I can resell my 6 and mostly cover the price.

The other big question mark is what happens in the fall: does the 6 become "free" on contract ($449) and is sold alongside the SE ($399), or is it discontinued? That would leave the lineup being the SE, 6s, and whatever the new model is...pretty nice. Unfortunately, being discontinued and slightly-less-powerful-than-all-the-current-models would hurt the 6's resale at that time, so I'm sort of betting September goes that way by selling my 6 now.

Still, bottom line is that if you aren't in the market for a new phone, the 6 really should be good for quite awhile - Apple still supports plenty of older devices on the current OS, and only the 4S feels really sluggish (I have a 5c that's become a media streamer).

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I was planning on getting the 7 this year, but I've actually got an SE on the way. I figure it's the best of both worlds - I get a new phone to replace my launch day 6, and I spend less money so that I won't feel bad about getting the 2017 phone. :) I have a feeling that one is going to be quite impressive. This year is sounding like the biggest changes will be the camera and probably OS tweaks, and nothing so far has really blown me away.

shftoptk

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
USA
I'll be on the lookout for a good 6s deal, but if Apple is just going to release a slightly better 6s this year then I will pass. No issues here on 9.3 for my 6 or 5s

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I was wondering if anyone else will be sticking with their iPhone 6 in 2017. With the launch of the SE and the imminent launch of the 7, just wanted to know if anyone is hanging on to their 6. Also, will you update to iOS 10?(my phone already feels a little laggy on iOS 9 so I may hold off).

I already use a Samsung Note 5 its essentially an iPhone Pro, I'll be waiting for the real iPhone Pro. The iPhone 6 was awesome. Zero reason to get a 6s over a 6.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
If you switch, you might want to look at an SE or a 6s/6s Plus, as it adds LTE Band 12 support for T-Mobile (Extended Range LTE). I tried T-Mobile for a few months and in my area that has been rolled out...made a big difference for the 6 vs 6s: http://www.tmonews.com/700mhz-lte-map/

I want to switch to T Mobile before they drop Unlimited Data but am currently on a 2 year contract with ATT with my iPhone 6+ that I got on launch day (September 19, 2014).

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I've had every IPhone since the 4S, minus the "C" model, and I think I'll be sticking with the 6. I don't really have a reason to upgrade yet.

Abhishek23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
I was planning on getting the 7 this year, but I've actually got an SE on the way. I figure it's the best of both worlds - I get a new phone to replace my launch day 6, and I spend less money so that I won't feel bad about getting the 2017 phone. :) I have a feeling that one is going to be quite impressive. This year is sounding like the biggest changes will be the camera and probably OS tweaks, and nothing so far has really blown me away.

Agreed- I too feel the 2017 phone will be amazing. Not going for an SE though- I love the size of the 6 and don't want to go back to the 4' display!
[doublepost=1459138214][/doublepost]
To be honest, I was planning on it, as I have been happy with its performance still, and suspect iOS 10 won't cause too much trouble (plenty of other A8 devices in Apple's lineup). Still, I'm very tempted to pick up an SE, as I'm a fan of the form factor and wouldn't mind the little speed boost and better rear camera. Plus, I can resell my 6 and mostly cover the price.

The other big question mark is what happens in the fall: does the 6 become "free" on contract ($449) and is sold alongside the SE ($399), or is it discontinued? That would leave the lineup being the SE, 6s, and whatever the new model is...pretty nice. Unfortunately, being discontinued and slightly-less-powerful-than-all-the-current-models would hurt the 6's resale at that time, so I'm sort of betting September goes that way by selling my 6 now.

Still, bottom line is that if you aren't in the market for a new phone, the 6 really should be good for quite awhile - Apple still supports plenty of older devices on the current OS, and only the 4S feels really sluggish (I have a 5c that's become a media streamer).

Yeah I think the 6 and 6+ will be discontinued in favour of the 7 series. Resale value will go down, but that's fine by me as I am going to keep this one for a while!

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I want to switch to T Mobile before they drop Unlimited Data but am currently on a 2 year contract with ATT with my iPhone 6+ that I got on launch day (September 19, 2014).

Although a bit off-topic for the thread, T-Mobile has a lot of options to buy out your contract and/or trade for a newer phone. Although I was out of contract, a colleague had them buy out his AT&T contract and buy an iPhone 4S for all sorts of credit. You'll have to check with them, but they usually reimburse you for the fees...

Reactions: 12vElectronics

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I will stick with the 6 until performance gets too bad, the battery dies, or i break it.

So far i have no problems with it other than preferring something SE size.

Sea Bass

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
I preordered an iPhone SE to replace my 6, but there's always the possibility of me returning it. I need to wait until I have the SE in my hands to make a decision.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I will update to the "7s" next year, as our company interchanges cell phones every three years.

But for sure my iPhone 6 is everything but laggy. iOS 10? You bet!

Kayakphotos

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Naples, FL
I'm sticking with my 6. I also will be sticking with my iPad Air for a couple more years. I don't really have a desire for the "latest and greatest" anymore.

I'd much rather save for a couple years for a retina iMac. Now that's an upgrade worth having!

Reactions: Abhishek23

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Until recently I would have said that an upgrade to the 7 was a sure thing, but now I feel that unless it really wows me, I may just stick with my 6. It still performs as smooth and fast as ever on iOS 9, and I plan to update to iOS 10. I always like to keep the software on my devices up to date.

Reactions: Abhishek23

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I'm itching to trade in my iPhone 6 for the iPhone SE. An Apple store employee said that I'd get $250 for it. I'm tired of the poor battery life and page reloads.

I was planning on getting the iPhone 7, but it sounds like it won't be much of a redesign so I won't be as interested.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I have no reason to upgrade my 6. The battery is more than fine, the screen is great, it's the thinnest iPhone ever, it's plenty fast.

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Sold my 6S Plus and my SE is on the way. :D

I usually upgrade yearly but with the so far disappointed 7 rumours I am waiting for the 7S which will hopefully have a redesign.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
if all they do is get rid of the antenna lines that never bothered me design wise then yeah ill keep my 6.

i hope they dont pull the "Pro" BS to justify an even higher price point

Reactions: Skika

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010

I upgrade every year without fail and will definitely do so again this year. And the year after that. Having a fresh, more powerful, more performant, better camera, etc, always excites me.

And, yes, I'll be upgrading to iOS 10. I enjoy having additional security and features on my devices. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.