Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
I was wondering if anyone else will be sticking with their iPhone 6 in 2017. With the launch of the SE and the imminent launch of the 7, just wanted to know if anyone is hanging on to their 6. Also, will you update to iOS 10?(my phone already feels a little laggy on iOS 9 so I may hold off).

I will probably upgrade to the 7s in 2017 or 2018

Yes some people will be sticking, and no, some people will not be sticking with it. Yes some will update, some will not.

Reactions: koolmagicguy

bixizero

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Nope. Too big. The 6/6S are kind of terribly designed. If the width were just ever so smaller they could actually be used with one hand. Will probably go from 6S to SE to 7 depending on the 7 width.

Reactions: ecschwarz

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I can't order just yet but I am planning on dumping my iPhone 6 for an SE in the next few weeks. I plan to keep the SE for at least 2 years.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I typically upgrade every two years, went from the 3GS to 4S, to 5S and finally the iPhone 6, a couple of months after the 5S.

The bigger screen was very appealing to me. I kept blaming Apple for staying with the 4" for so long. Eventually I got sick of waiting and switched to the Galaxy S4 from my 4S, which was a big mistake. Got the 5S, stayed with it until the iPhone 6 was released.

Now that I've got the larger screen, I don't see much reason to upgrade yet. The 4.7" iPhone 6 is a great size for me personally. I haven't really grown tired of it, either. I've got plenty of storage, a very thin design (although I prefer the looks of the 5S), great camera and decent battery life. It's still plenty fast, too. iOS 9 is a good OS as well, and I'm looking forward to iOS 10 and seeing what it will bring to the table.

I was planning on sticking to my two year upgrade cycle, but the iPhone 7 isn't turning out to be the great upgrade I was expecting it to be, if rumors are anything to go by. May as well wait for some true innovation before getting rid of this phone. The 2017 upgrade seems much more appealing, if the rumors turn out to be correct.

- A new design
- OLED and hopefully at least Full HD!
- Edge to edge display? Curved?
- Reduced bezels?

We'll see I guess!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I'm on contract with Verizon on a launch day 6.

I'm really torn with what to do when you figure I'm on contract til September, the 7 is looking lame, the 2017 iPhone is looking awesome, and the SE is now a player.

-I am ready to be done with contracts, so I can't imagine paying $750 for an iPhone 7 with how ho hum it's shaping up to be.
-I don't really want to keep my 6 for three years.
-I don't really want to wait until September when my contract is up to buy an SE, as I then won't be able to justify the 2017 iPhone just a year later, plus the SE will then be a bit behind, specs wise considering it's based on the 6S.
-***Ideally, I'd most like to buy an SE now, enjoy for ~18 months, and then in September 2017 get that iPhone release. But I don't think there is any way at all to buy an SE without paying my Verizon ETF, correct me if I'm wrong.

Honestly there really doesn't seem to be any good option moving forward.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
The GPS doesn't work on my 6. But I'm going to keep it, since my last AT&T NEXT payment is due next month. Nothing about the 7 looks like it's worth the money. It may be a good time to try a different handset...I can always go back to the broken 6 if I have buyers' remorse.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
That's my dilemma. I can't stand the safari page refreshes and how quickly apps are dumped out of memory when I try to go back to them, but the iPhone 7+ does not seem worth of my $750. I may buy a used 6S on CL or just wait for 2017.

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I want to get the iPhone 7 but am a little disappointed that rumors are pointing to a major redesign in 2017. It almost sounds like the 7 will not be a huge redesign and rather Apple will wait till 2017 to have a big iPhone update. With all of this in mind however I think I am going to buy the iPhone 7 but on the upgrade program

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I want to get the iPhone 7 but am a little disappointed that rumors are pointing to a major redesign in 2017. It almost sounds like the 7 will not be a huge redesign and rather Apple will wait till 2017 to have a big iPhone update. With all of this in mind however I think I am going to buy the iPhone 7 but on the upgrade program

That's the kind of consumer behavior that encourages the complacency you see with Apple. When people say, I'll just go ahead buy a $750 device that I'm a bit disappointed in, what incentive do they have to innovate/improve. If people expressed their disappointment with their wallets you better believe things would change much faster. No reason they can't a compelling 16 upgrade AND something good for 2017.

winxdon

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
I typically upgrade every two years, went from the 3GS to 4S, to 5S and finally the iPhone 6, a couple of months after the 5S.

Yo this is exactly what I did!

Well the people I know who bought the phone outright have no plan to upgrade (including myself) unless the ip7 really wow us or the ip6 gets too slow. Friends who are on contract will typically upgrade regardless.

noslenam

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
I was wondering if anyone else will be sticking with their iPhone 6 in 2017. With the launch of the SE and the imminent launch of the 7, just wanted to know if anyone is hanging on to their 6. Also, will you update to iOS 10?(my phone already feels a little laggy on iOS 9 so I may hold off).

I will probably upgrade to the 7s in 2017 or 2018

Well I am starting to wonder for the first time since my original iPhone if I want to switch? Ever since the past few latest iOS updates my iPhone 6 Plus has started to suck. Not only has it slowed down considerably but I have started to have all sorts of issues. Randomly shuts down anywhere from 30-40% battery. You will be unable to turn it back on until you plug it into a power supply. Once it's plugged in it returns to battery life it shut down at and then seems to work fine until the next time. The overly phone is slow and shutters and feels like I have gone backwards in a few years. The other day I was walking past an Apple Store while on a trip and I happened to have issues with my maps app. It had issues with the screen touch positioning. I would have to touch about an inch to the left of something for it to register. I was able to show two apple genius workers the issues. They asked me some questions did a diagnostic test and proceeded to tell me my best bet was to purchase the new 6s plus? Really? I think that may be the turning point for me. I have apple care that when you read will not cover software issues but the company will sell and put out hardware and software that doesn't work together. So what the heck is apple care good for then? So I guess I can accidentally drop it in front of them to get it replaced? Is that what it comes down to?

Sorry for venting about the lack of customer service and inability of Aaple to fix issues but I seem to more and more have problems with many of my apple products.

All I want is for apple to acknowledge the issues and fix them. Is that to much to ask for? I also don't want to hear from the employees that my best bet is to- purchase the latest and greatest apple product. I spend $800+ on a phone and don't expect to have to purchase a new one after 14 months.

Anyone else having issues that apple isn't listening to or acknowledging?

Very frustrating. My 6 Plus I'd the only device we have that is having these issues. The iOS updates don't seem to be effecting my iPad Pro, wife's 6s or any of the other 5 working Devi-CDs that are running the latest iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.