Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickosbad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
I’ve had my 11” 2018 iPP (Refurb) since late 2019 and it’s been great, I’m not a heavy user and it’s mainly web/video consumption so in all honesty at the time it was overkill for my needs but the 120hz screen was the main reason for upgrade.

I’m thinking that the next major iOS release may be the last for this model and since I’m in the US right now I can save £120 if I buy here.

This time round it’s the OLED screen drawing me in but I’m sure I would see a significant performance boost??

I don’t have a Pencil and don’t want the keyboard so the only add on would be a new folio case

Anyone sticking with the 2018 iPP?? If so why??

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I just got home from vacation and my M4 has been sitting at my parents’ house since Wednesday, but I finally got it today. Upgraded from the 2018 Pro.

I literally just finished setting it up about 20 minutes ago so I haven’t had too much time to play with it, but so far I do notice how much quicker and smoother it is. I didn’t really consider the 2018 laggy but compared to this, it definitely feels that way.

So far I have no regrets. I would have upgraded sooner but the main thing I wanted was OLED. Now that I have that, this was definitely a great iPad to upgrade from the 2018.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I have all 3.
M1
M4

IMG_1377.jpeg

semajm85

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
It’s a very expensive device, arguably overpriced but it is the best experience for me right now and has all the upgrades I was looking for over the 2018 11” pro I had. I had the M2 12.9 and sold it after 3 months.

That said , I’d like to share my experience after a few days of use.

Been using the 13” with Magic Keyboard since I got it on Wednesday, forced myself to use it as my only mobile devices other than my phone to see how it fits into my workflow.

Cue Jim Carrey “like a glove”

I upgraded from the 2018 11” pro.

I’ve been using it to work on
- excel budget sheets for the expenses of my new home

- collab on floor plans with the interior designer

- watch YouTube and Netflix

- game stream from my PS5

- play wild rift and Genshin

The device is absolute overkill but I love it. I can use it as tablet when I need to and work on it when I need keyboard

The experience with the screen, the weight and as an overall package has made me feel VERY comfortable and happy with purchase.

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
I also replaced a 2018 11” with a new M4. Like Channan, I didn’t consider my old iPad to be particularly sluggish, but the M4 is lightning fast in comparison. The screen is a great upgrade too — my 2018’s display was starting to yellow around the edges. The slight weight reduction is nice as well. It’s not a cheap upgrade, but after 5.5 years I certainly got my money’s worth with the last one and hope to again. Very happy so far.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I had the 2018 iPad Pro and was perfectly happy with it, but wanted the new OLED display. For me the upgrade was worthwhile as I love the new bright OLED display and it is noticeably faster and lighter, but it was a want and not a need. It also helped that I had a combination of gift cards and money from previous recycled Apple products which made the price much lower. I got the 11" 256 GB cellular one and didn't get the pencil or keyboard case. The choice to upgrade is a personal one and there is nothing wrong with staying with the 2018 Pro - it is still a great device.

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Upgraded from 2018 IPP 12.9 to 13” M4. Loving the snappiness of it, display is great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.