Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
I've been noticing a subtle issue with the AirPods Pro 2 (never experienced it on the original AirPods Pro), where some parts of the sound, typically voices, occasionally take it upon themselves to pan around to different parts of the soundstage. It almost sounds like spatial audio is turned on, but I can assure you, I've triple checked and it is disabled. This happens regardless of whether ANC or transparency mode is on or off.

I've used the original AirPods Pro since launch, and never had this issue with them. It's kind of hard to describe, and you almost wonder if it's your mind playing tricks on you, but I'm definitely noticing it more and more.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Yep, I notice it when I’m out walking and turn a 90 degree corner.

As I turn the corner the soundstage stays put - which is a feature of spatial audio. But after about 10 seconds the soundstage ”pans” around automatically to re-center itself according to my new walking direction. That re-centering is really weird for a couple of seconds.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
That is definitely spacial audio. You must have it turned on.

Nope. It's not on. It's completely random too, even when I'm sitting still with my head not moving at all. It doesn't correlate to movement anyway.

I've been an AirPods Pro user since launch week, which means I've had them since before spatial audio was released. I know how to turn off spatial audio.

BIGSHOTT

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2022
What are you using as a player? Something is broken. I’m not sure where spatial audio is processed. I’m guessing it’s the player. If spatial audio is randomly kicking in when it’s turned off, that is where I’d look. Take a trip to the Genius Bar.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
It's not spatial audio, as it doesn't sound like spatial audio, nor is it tracking my head. This is happening in YouTube, and it's very easy to see if spatial audio is engaged while the video is playing.

I can turn on spatial audio while the video is playing and spatial audio sounds different and works perfectly.

BIGSHOTT

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2022
You’re describing an effect that could only be caused by spatial audio on the fritz.

Something’s broken. Take it to an Apple Store and show them.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
You’re describing an effect that could only be caused by spatial audio on the fritz.

Something’s broken. Take it to an Apple Store and show them.

I want to see how many (if any) have run into the issue.

It could be something like the algorithm that is constantly monitoring the way the sound bounces around in your ear and dynamically changes the EQ, screwing up.

Lmd700

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2022
Just happened last night, spatial audio was on, the voice started moving around left to right up and down, I turned it off and it stopped , then I put spatial back on and it did not happen the rest of concert I was listening to?

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
Given that this is a discussion forum and not the Apple store, I'm still interested to see how widespread it might be and what others may have experienced.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
This happens to me too. There's some people on reddit with the same problem. I've a feeling this is very widespread but since its quite subtle not many people are noticing but its very annoying when you start noticing.

This looks like a software bug as the buds are slightly out of sync, you can test this by toggling between anc and transparency mode, the chime and the activation is slightly delayed in one side, on the APP1 it was perfectly harmonic.

Reactions: teh_hunterer

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
I sent an e-mail to MacRumors reporting this issue but they didn't care. I suggest everyone with this issue to email them so they can get Apple attention to this. I submitted feedback to Apple as well.

I don't think its a hardware issue, there are people that got them replaced and still face the same issue.

Last edited:

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Yep, I notice it when I’m out walking and turn a 90 degree corner.

As I turn the corner the soundstage stays put - which is a feature of spatial audio. But after about 10 seconds the soundstage ”pans” around automatically to re-center itself according to my new walking direction. That re-centering is really weird for a couple of seconds.
What you’re describing is standard Spatial Audio functionality, not what the OP is experiencing.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Does the Apple store have equipment to analyze AirPods or does a genius have to stick them in their ears? :eek:
They do.

A Genius will first use an iOS app, then will be sent to a tech in back. When I took my launch day AirPods Pro 1 in for rattles, the genius said it passed all tests. He told me to come back in an hour so a tech can to a more comprehensive test.

The tech said they were toast and replaced them.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
They do.

A Genius will first use an iOS app, then will be sent to a tech in back. When I took my launch day AirPods Pro 1 in for rattles, the genius said it passed all tests. He told me to come back in an hour so a tech can to a more comprehensive test.

The tech said they were toast and replaced them.
That wouldn't necessarily do anything for diagnosing this issue, which Apple aren't looking for and may not know about yet.

The equipment they use at the Apple store is to test ear seal and bass response.

I've had 4 replacements due to the rattling on the original pros and have been through this a couple times as you might imagine.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
The OP may have " follow iphone " option turn on in Accessibility .

I don't. This also happens on Mac and iPad anyway. And never happened on my AirPods Pro 1st generation that I used every day before upgrading to the 2nd gen.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
When you go to the store, tell them 5 random internet people have this same behavior. That'll show em!

I'm just interested in discussing the issue, I'm not going to the Apple Store.

I don't know why there is this cabal any time someone raises an issue, wanting to shut down the discussion and route people directly to Apple Support.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You raised an issue with something you're hearing in your AirPods. Several people said that it sounds as though spatial audio is turned on. You say it's not. At this point, it's unlikely anyone online can help you–we can't hear what you hear. You probably need to let your AirPods be diagnosed by an Apple expert in a support setting.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
You raised an issue with something you're hearing in your AirPods. Several people said that it sounds as though spatial audio is turned on. You say it's not. At this point, it's unlikely anyone online can help you–we can't hear what you hear. You probably need to let your AirPods be diagnosed by an Apple expert in a support setting.

Nah, I'll chill in this thread and see if anyone else is experiencing it. It already looks like a few people have.

The thread is asking a question - let people answer that question if they want to.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Nah, I'll chill in this thread and see if anyone else is experiencing it. It already looks like a few people have.

The thread is asking a question - let people answer that question if they want to.
This really feel like a software bug, I'll wait for a new firmware update before getting replacements because there's no Apple Store nearby me.
For me the best mode right now is spatial audio enabled with the fixed option, it make the sound panning a lot less noticeable.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
This really feel like a software bug, I'll wait for a new firmware update before getting replacements because there's no Apple Store nearby me.
For me the best mode right now is spatial audio enabled with the fixed option, it make the sound panning a lot less noticeable.

Exactly, it seems like a software issue. As if I'm going to waste my time going to the Apple Store for an issue that rarely happens, is likely a software issue, and something they haven't acknowledged yet. There is essentially no point (yet). Hence, we can discuss in the meantime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.