Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
I use it when ever I get a chance, I just havent been able to get out and shoot, school *sigh*

The links in my sig if u want to see it:p

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
I have been using Flickr for a number of months now. So far so good. I like the feature set and I like being able to send friends of mine there to see images I have taken.

I think equally as important as the ability to upload and store tons of photos (I have a pro account) is the community structure. I have learned quite a bit just from joining up and reading the postings in several groups. Overall, it is a very nice learning experience as well as a great place to show of some shots of yours that you like.

Just as a point of personal preference, I don't just upload every image i take onto Flickr. I have friends that do that, and while they like that feature, it would drive me out of my mind if I loaded all my images up there. I have iPhoto and Lightroom for that. I use Flickr for the few that I really like, or want to share.

To be fair, though, some individuals really do have 100s of great photos on there.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
You all might want to have a look at Smugmug.com, which is an established service catering to photographers, too; it has a tiered structure so that one can do certain things at the free level or a few more things on the next level or one can purchase the "pro" level and redirect visitors to your Smugmug account by using your domain name (if you've got one). I first started using Smugmug as an alternative to pbase.com; while keeping my pbase account, I soon found that each service has its own advantages.

To be honest, I was a bit turned off by Flickr when I saw that it is part of Yahoo.... Not to be snobbish or anything -- LOL!

This post got me to take a look at Smugmug, and it looks great! I signed up for a 14-day trial for the mid-priced category, and will more than likely pay up in a few days.

I don't have any special opinion about Yahoo, but I didn't like the fact that I had to create a Yahoo ID to use flickr. I don't mind registering for one specific service, but I don't want to create an identity on such a huge, general site.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Cool link, shieldyoureyes. Here's mine.

I've been using flickr for awhile as well. It's a great place to share photos and find interesting ones. I've looked at smugmug, and I'll probably try it if I get more serious in photography. For now, flickr does everything I need.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I've been using the demo of the flickr export plug-in for iPhoto for a couple weeks. While it works nice, I don't think it is worth the $25 they are asking. I mean, it is only a plug-in, an add-on to a much bigger application. I would have spend $10, maybe $15, but not $25.

Flickr has a free program that exports and it just as good, just not quite as convenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.