Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applevx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
I found my MBP3.1 still good enough to my all the Photoshop edit and the temperature is NOT hot at all! (44ºC to 55ºC)

I installed Leopard 10.5.7 & 10.5.8 for some month, most time is ok for me but the temperature was as hot as 65ºC to 80ºC (I know I can use smcFanControl or similar program to keep my MBP cool, but I just want to know how well OS Xs do the job).

After install the $29 Snow Leopard OS X 10.6, my MBP becomes like 70ºC with no software start! This is not accept to me, because I don't like to get so many cooling stuffs to keep me working on my MBP.

So far I really want to go back to Tiger now. :)

Anyone has any idea about Tiger vs Snow Leopard on resource demand?
(Can keep MacBook Pro running cooler with no 3rd party method)

David2070

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
UK
I still use Tiger on my rev A MBP.

I don't see a need to upgrade to Leopard let alone Snow Leopard.

cruelmemory

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2007
I installed Leopard 10.5.7 & 10.5.8 for some month, most time is ok for me but the temperature was as hot as 65ºC to 80ºC (I know I can use smcFanControl or similar program to keep my MBP cool, but I just want to know how well OS Xs do the job).

Using tools like SMCfancontrol can void the warranty on the system as it puts unwanted stress on the fans causing the bearings to wear out prematurely creating a louder fan noise or no noise at all if the fan dies completely. The system has software and hardware specifically intended for keeping the system running within spec. If your system is spontaneously restarting, shutting down or going to sleep however, the system may be producing too much heat.

If you can go without features such as Spaces, Time Machine and 64-bit processing, go ahead and roll that sucker back to 10.4.11 but if the heat issues follow you back to 10.4.11, then you might have a completly different problem at that point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.