Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
It's late in 2024 and I'm still using my iPhone 7 Plus that I bought in 2017. Should I upgrade? Other than possibly better cellular connectivity - I haven't had any reason to upgrade.

Considering these phones cost over $1000 (more like $1600 for the storage I'd use) - I would want the phone to last beyond 5 years. I did pay a little over $1000 for my iPhone 7 Plus in 2017 - but, I'm also going on my 8th year of use with my iPhone 7 Plus. However, if I upgrade then I'd be paranoid over Apple planning for obsolescence and/or preventing/blocking simple repairs. I wouldn't want to be spending $1600 every three years - for a phone that I don't use much.

Then again - I'm embedded in the Apple eco system. So, iPhone it is.

funinhounslow

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2017
I have an 8 plus and think it’s time to upgrade. I’m now struggling with 64gb memory and the fact it won’t run iOS 18 has sealed the deal - it will have to go sometime so may as well be now. Plus battery is at 85%, it barely lasts a day and I don’t think it’s worth replacing in such an old device.

I was thinking of hanging on for the new SE next year but in all honesty the 16/16 pro seems a compelling upgrade and I think priced fairly.

Just need to see them in the flesh before deciding which to go for. Leaning towards the 16 plus with 256gb storage - seems excessive but then I thought 64 gb was plenty when I bought my 8…

Not thrilled about losing Touch ID but will enjoy the bigger screen and improved camera.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’m using an iPhone 6S Plus that I purchased as a refurb 10 months ago. I got it to be an UPGRADE from the iPhone 11 I have and never use.

In my particular case, as far as an eye friendly display goes, the 6S Plus is the pinnacle of iPhone display.
I’ll never purchase an iPhone that has an OLED screen. Too much flickering.

Reactions: Parowdy

aim1

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2024
I’m using an iPhone 6S Plus that I purchased as a refurb 10 months ago. I got it to be an UPGRADE from the iPhone 11 I have and never use.

In my particular case, as far as an eye friendly display goes, the 6S Plus is the pinnacle of iPhone display.
Are you Spider-Man? How do you see the flickering, 21/21 vision? Amazing glasses? Supernatural abilities? Maybe you’re a bird? Are you secretly a bird?

goodthymes

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
Are you Spider-Man? How do you see the flickering, 21/21 vision? Amazing glasses? Supernatural abilities? Maybe you’re a bird? Are you secretly a bird?
Did you just come out from under a rock to post this? Many people are sensitive to OLED pwm, there's a long running thread that's almost always at the top of this forum, not to mention all over the internet.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019

This sounds a lot like something I'd say - both about the iPhone 6S Plus being an upgrade and the OLEDs flickering. Not that I've had these same experiences - just something that wouldn't surprise me if I came to the same opinions.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
Not thrilled about losing Touch ID
Yeah, not having Touch ID sort of seems like a possible security issue. I just feel better about using my fingerprint to unlock my phone rather than my face. Can you set the phone to only accept a six or eight digit number to unlock? (instead of using Face ID)

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yes. Using FaceID isn’t required on an iPhone that has it. You just need to enter your passcode each time. 6 numbers is the minimum.
It’s not THAT hard. That’s how everyone unlocked their phones before iPhone 5S

webkit

macrumors 68040
Jan 14, 2021
United States
It's late in 2024 and I'm still using my iPhone 7 Plus that I bought in 2017. Should I upgrade? Other than possibly better cellular connectivity - I haven't had any reason to upgrade.

Considering these phones cost over $1000 (more like $1600 for the storage I'd use) - I would want the phone to last beyond 5 years. I did pay a little over $1000 for my iPhone 7 Plus in 2017 - but, I'm also going on my 8th year of use with my iPhone 7 Plus. However, if I upgrade then I'd be paranoid over Apple planning for obsolescence and/or preventing/blocking simple repairs. I wouldn't want to be spending $1600 every three years - for a phone that I don't use much.

Why spend $1,600 on a phone you "don't use much"? You can get a new 256GB iPhone 15 for about half that ($829) or a new 256GB iPhone 14 for even less than that ($729). Other options would be Apple certified refurbished iPhone 13 or 14 models which have new battery, new outer shell and same as new 1 year warranty.

You may also want to wait for the next generation iPhone SE due next year which is expected to be based on the iPhone 14 but with an A18 chip.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
To be honest idk how you're still using a 7plus its so oudated in hardware and software, if you had an 11 or 12 I'd say hold on longer but 7plus is really old, I think you should upgrade.

• Sad
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yes. Using FaceID isn’t required on an iPhone that has it. You just need to enter your passcode each time. 6 numbers is the minimum.
It’s not THAT hard. That’s how everyone unlocked their phones before iPhone 5S

Yeah but it’s a bit pointless when FaceID is on the phone. It’s a bit like getting in the passenger seat of your car and climbing over every time you need to drive, just for the craic.

GMShadow

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2021
Maybe consider going to the 15/16 regular or Plus, it would still be a solid upgrade from your 7+ but the outlay would be less.

Your main issue with your 7+ is when apps start dropping support for iOS 15, which is probably going to come in the next year or so. If you're only using system apps this may be less of an issue.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
Why spend $1,600 on a phone you "don't use much"?
Not exactly true. I use the phone for Uber a lot and I use the camera a lot.

However, I never answer the phone and I don't use the phone for text - since text messages make their way to my MacBook (which has a big screen and a keyboard to type).

I don't remember what setting I set years ago - but, basically all my text messages from the iPhone show up in my MacBook. I rarely use the phone for email. Mostly, the phone is there for the camera - photos and video. Having a lot of storage space is a good idea in that context. My iPhone 7 Plus has 256GB of storage (I wonder if that was the max back in 2017).

Although, these days, I've gone to the dark side - paying for iCloud - where my photos now live (my iPhone should be backed up on the iCloud - I need to check that). AND, most recently, I've set all Desktop and Documents of my MacBook to live on the iCloud as well.

At this point I'm an Apple lifer.

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2021
My stepdad still rocks a 7+. He has a 12 for work too. His 7+ is jet black, kinda funny that now there’s a matching watch, it happens to be incompatible due to OS.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
I routinely see people on the street still using iPhone X/XR, recognizable by the camera. I think you can go ahead and upgrade at anytime. Maybe get an Apple refurbished if you want to get a deal.

It is better, in my opinion, to pay a little more and buy refurbished from Apple than from other places. You get quality checks, warranty, even a new outer shell. What other refurbish source can do that.

All refurbished iPhone models come with a new battery, a new outer shell, a one-year limited warranty, and free delivery and returns.

• Love

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
I had 7 plus from launch day till I upgraded to 13 PM. What an upgrade it was from 7+ to 13 PM. Biggest bump for me was battery life, camera and 5G speeds. If you have the means it will be a great upgrade. If 7+ is still working for you, keep it.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017

If you only buy once every 5 or more years I’d say wait for the next year’s model. This is an S version and next year we’re supposed to get a slight redesign and more features

• Love

_Mitchan1999

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2024
Not exactly true. I use the phone for Uber a lot and I use the camera a lot.

However, I never answer the phone and I don't use the phone for text - since text messages make their way to my MacBook (which has a big screen and a keyboard to type).

I don't remember what setting I set years ago - but, basically all my text messages from the iPhone show up in my MacBook. I rarely use the phone for email. Mostly, the phone is there for the camera - photos and video. Having a lot of storage space is a good idea in that context. My iPhone 7 Plus has 256GB of storage (I wonder if that was the max back in 2017).

Although, these days, I've gone to the dark side - paying for iCloud - where my photos now live (my iPhone should be backed up on the iCloud - I need to check that). AND, most recently, I've set all Desktop and Documents of my MacBook to live on the iCloud as well.

At this point I'm an Apple lifer.
The iPhone 7 series came in 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB storage capacities, so that means it was the max storage of your iPhone 7 Plus.

If I were in your shoes, I would wait for the iPhone SE (4th-generation) that’s rumored to come out in about 6 months.

Last edited:

PPCmike

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2012
My mom has one.. she has a few apps that wont work because of the IOS is old It feels so funny going back to something with the touchID and drop down menu.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
I kept my 7 Plus because I loved the matte black finish. It's in a drawer, but I remember it fondly.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017

But the iPhone 11 was the last (non-SE) LCD iPhone and is better in practically every way (I went the opposite direction from the 6S to the 11). I’m glad yo like the 6S but your comment makes it sound like the 6S was the last LCD iPhone.

felton92

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2018
If you only buy once every 5 or more years I’d say wait for the next year’s model. This is an S version and next year we’re supposed to get a slight redesign and more features
I was tempted to wait with my X but wanted an upgrade. There were some rumours of a redesign with the 16pro and I’d rather not wait for rumours again when I need an upgrade now, I’d be waiting a while haha. Justified it by thinking of all the upgrades since the X that I’ve missed. I can’t imagine they’ll change much on the pro’s aside from a smaller dynamic island and maybe a fully edged screen. The biggest design will be the 17 slim for those who don’t need a pro.

Going on a few trips with my missus this next year so a camera and a faster phone, better battery and bigger screen justifies it for me. I usually keep phones for 5-6 years but if I’ve got it wrong and the 17 pro is a huge leap overall, I’ll upgrade again and keep until the next major one. If it’s minor design change I’m not bothered as long as mine keeps up in performance and photos, etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.