Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
I've never claimed to know Lightroom well nor have I made claims that certain things aren't possible with Lightroom.
I have only described the way I work now. I have not claimed that this weren't possible with Lightroom.
As the thread is about how they compare, I'm illustrating the differences.

Ditto for Aperture. So what's your point?
Your post implied LR didn't, so I was clearing that up.

As I said before, I wouldn't have any use for a syncing solution.
That's what Lift +Stamp is! You use that for syncing files. Just because it isn't called sync like it is in LR, doesn't mean it isn't syncing.

And you're saying that cannot be done with Aperture?
You can define presets for different editing modules in Aperture or stamp from a sample project.
I hated workarounds for things in LR, so why do workarounds in Aperture. And they still do not work on import.

I would never apply white balance globally to an import, for example. I would find the right RAW balance for one shot in a series though and then transfer that settings to the others.
If you are shooting somewhere where you already know white balance settings and you can do it when importing, then it's a big timesaver and LR/Aperture are about time saving.

Again, I'm repeating myself, but not everybody works like you and me. So the functions you describe may simply not be needed by others.
While that may be true for obscure attibutes, the fact that Aperture apart from the book production is severely lacking in many ways compared to LR, means for many people it is better. Besides the features I have been talking about are becoming very basic features for RAW processing and so will actually appeal to most people not a few.
I've tested both and Aperture is deficient in too many areas to be of use, when compared to LR. The best way to expain how the programmes differ is that when using LR I miss only one feature from Aperture, the rarely used by me book making, which is limited to Apple printing anyway. But when I use Aperture I miss a lot of fundamental features with regard to RAW processing, which is the fundamental part of either programme.
Have you even tried LR2?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Have you even tried LR2?
I tried Lightroom 1 public beta, Lightroom 1.0 release and the Lightroom 2 public beta. (But not the 2.0 release.) I didn't like the user interface from the start, but I know it's a good app. Like Canon slr bodies, same thing, we just don't click. In my experience, this is the main deciding factor whether one uses Lightroom or Aperture, because in terms of features, they are on par (this is not to say that both have strengths and weaknesses). People are willing to put up with weaknesses if they prefer a user interface/app.

My post didn't imply that LR did or did not have certain features, I was describing how I work and that I don't need and use editing presets. You seem caught up in the way you work. I have never found that Aperture lacks anything in the presets department -- and so do, apparently other members. That doesn't mean everybody will be content with the way Aperture (or Lightroom) works, but I am.

I have no interest in starting a feature war here (this app misses this feature, the other app misses that feature), because that does not matter. Both apps are good and have features the other one doesn't have. Some may consider these important features, others think they are not features at all. I'd rather have a cleaner interface than 10 more features I would like to use at most 5 % of the time.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
And let's wrap it up about here you two, right...? Dialogues are a bit boring for everybody else, so if you want to continue a private discussion then feel free to PM each other... ;)

For the record, I'm a Ligthroom user, because after trying Aperture 1.x against Lightroom 1.x I felt Lightroom played much more nicely with my 2.0GHz CD MacBook with 2GB of RAM, if I had a dedicated/better GPU and more RAM the outcome might have been different.

That Lightroom plays nicer with the CS3 bundle, especially after the 2.x release isn't a drawback, either, though I didn't get it because of that...

The system requirements indicate that Lightroom still would be the better choice on "lighter" equipment:

Lightroom minimum system requirements said:
* PowerPC® G4 or G5 or Intel based processor
* Mac OS X v10.4 or 10.5
* 1GB of RAM
* 1GB of available hard-disk space
* 1,024x768 display
* CD-ROM drive

Aperture minimum system requirements said:
* One of the following Mac computers:
o Mac Pro
o MacBook Pro
o MacBook Air
o MacBook
o Mac mini with an Intel Core Solo or Duo processor
o iMac with a 1.8GHz or faster PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor
o Power Mac G5 with a 1.6GHz or faster PowerPC G5 processor
o 15- or 17-inch PowerBook G4 with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4 processor
* Memory requirements
o 1GB of RAM
o 2GB of RAM for Mac Pro
* One of the following graphics cards:
o ATI Radeon X600 Pro, X600 XT, X800 XT Mac Edition, X850 XT, X1600, X1900 XT, 9800 XT, 9800 Pro, 9700 Pro, 9600, 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, 9650, HD 2400 XT, HD 2600 PRO, or HD 2600 XT
o ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or 9600
o ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
o NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, 6600, 6600 LE, 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL, 7300 GT, 7800 GT, 8600M GT, or 8800 GT
o NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 or FX 5600
o Intel GMA 950 or GMA X3100
* Minimum operating system requirements
o Mac OS X v10.4.11 Tiger
o Mac OS X v10.5.2 Leopard
* DVD drive for installation
* 5GB of hard drive space for the application and sample projects

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The bottom line here is both products have free trial versions. So while there is some value in hearing peoples' opinions, it really makes the most sense to try out both of them - one at a time, allowing enough time to get familiar with the tools and features.

It's obvious, from the posts in this thread, that some/most of us have strong opinions about these products. I think this supports the notion that it really makes sense to take advantage of the free trials before making the decision on which one to purchase.

One "feature" that I think gets missed by some people - when comparing these products - is the quality of their default RAW conversion. This is subjective, like anything else. With my D700, I was much happier with Aperture's base conversion than I was with either Capture NX's (which surprised me) or Lightroom 2's with the camera-specific profile added in. But (being repetitive) you should really try this, along with the other features, for yourself.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I can't believe people would go as far as compare Lightroom and Aperture like either app does their job 100% well.

As a double switcher, I didn't find either to do the job perfectly, I just picked the lesser of two evils. I had other forms of media to work with (HD video, 2D graphics, 3D titling) and other apps to do those tasks, so I picked the one that integrated with them flawlessly... Aperture.

Not that it was any better than LR however. I just grabbed the one that worked better for me in ALL areas of interest. As far as my opinion goes, LR blows when it comes to workflow, since even the 2.0 release locks you into that "do it our way" module system. Aperture let you do what you want when you want it no questions asked.

And Aperture still blows at tonal adjustments. I still find myself going into Photoshop to do even simple edits in tone. Most of the images I shoot that remain after the second edit have spot on color with minimal toning, but those few that are compositionally sound but horrible in color (shot with a D2hs in other words) have to be brought into Photoshop since Aperture can't do the finer points of color adjustments.

LR isn't amazing at tonal adjustments, it's just not as bad as Aperture.

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
I can't believe people would go as far as compare Lightroom and Aperture like either app does their job 100% well.

As a double switcher, I didn't find either to do the job perfectly, I just picked the lesser of two evils. I had other forms of media to work with (HD video, 2D graphics, 3D titling) and other apps to do those tasks, so I picked the one that integrated with them flawlessly... Aperture.
I don't think anyone said either was perfect, both are flawed.
LR's very limited file recognition makes a mockery of it's DAM capabilities.

Not that it was any better than LR however. I just grabbed the one that worked better for me in ALL areas of interest. As far as my opinion goes, LR blows when it comes to workflow, since even the 2.0 release locks you into that "do it our way" module system. Aperture let you do what you want when you want it no questions asked.
I find this a very bizarre criticism. I do what I want in whatever order I feel like it when using LR, I find it no different from Aperture in that respect.

And Aperture still blows at tonal adjustments. I still find myself going into Photoshop to do even simple edits in tone. Most of the images I shoot that remain after the second edit have spot on color with minimal toning, but those few that are compositionally sound but horrible in color (shot with a D2hs in other words) have to be brought into Photoshop since Aperture can't do the finer points of color adjustments.
And you use a programme which is very poor at the most fundamental part of the job.:confused:

LR isn't amazing at tonal adjustments, it's just not as bad as Aperture.
Have you tried calibrating ACR/LR to your camera? As if you do, it markedly improves colour rendition, all cameras vary, so a necessary evil. Use a colour chart and Fors script in PS.
Though now in LR2 you can use in-camera presets which sort out ACR's issues with some colours, notably red and orange differentiation, there wasn't any! Makes a big difference. And it is also much quicker/more accurate than the older method. Plus you will be able to do customised versions to match your own personalised in-camera presets - very useful indeed.

liquid stereo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Saint Paul
Go with Aperture if using Sony DSLRs

Adobe's handling of high ISO images is incredibly poor. I think its simply because of Adobe's market presence that few complain. That is starting to change but still Adobe does not respond very quickly.

Capture One (Ver. 4) is arguably the best for raw conversion. Apple's Aperture is also quite good.
Here is a comparison with A900 raw files.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/a900-one-month.shtml
After using ACR for several years (with 7D and A700), I made the switch to Aperture last month.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Adobe's handling of high ISO images is incredibly poor. I think its simply because of Adobe's market presence that few complain. That is starting to change but still Adobe does not respond very quickly.

Capture One (Ver. 4) is arguably the best for raw conversion. Apple's Aperture is also quite good.
Here is a comparison with A900 raw files.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/a900-one-month.shtml
After using ACR for several years (with 7D and A700), I made the switch to Aperture last month.

Or Capture One as it is the better raw handler for Sony at present

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I find this a very bizarre criticism. I do what I want in whatever order I feel like it when using LR, I find it no different from Aperture in that respect.

No, in this respect you are just simply wrong, and not fully understanding the methodology that the LR programmers had from the beginning, and what every photographer in the industry said about the Betas, the pre release, the release, and the continuation in LR2.0.

Sorry but you missed the point.

The rest of the post was somewhat accurate but didn't really reach what I was trying to say.

p.s. LR actually has very good file recognition.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
No, in this respect you are just simply wrong, and not fully understanding the methodology that the LR programmers had from the beginning, and what every photographer in the industry said about the Betas, the pre release, the release, and the continuation in LR2.0.

The rest of the post was somewhat accurate but didn't really reach what I was trying to say.

I think the point he was trying to make is that even though lightroom uses "modules" for each step you can move around as you please to accomplish your tasks. I use lightroom as I have to switch back and forth between windows and mac and the integration with cs4 is top notch. I do think aperture is a tad bit more straightforward on how you can access each option but lightrooms layout doesn't really prevent you from working in the same way.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
What is even more obvious is that most people don't know both apps very well. ;)

Indeed!

OP...if you're shooting Nikon...I highly recommend also learning Capture NX2. Yes, the interface is ugly...and relatively unintuitive...BUT...it is definitely the best IQ NEF conversion tool. At 100%, it's obviously better than Aperture or LR for NEF conversions. Plus, and this is BIG...you can work in "ProPhoto" color space, which has a MUCH better gamut than AdobeRGB or sRGB. Why anyone would use PS over NX2's
"Control Points" is beyond me.

OTOH, with NX2 you will still need Aperture (AP) or LR for management. I prefer AP with Nik plugins installed...some of which are non-destructive...and some are not, such as my beloved Silver Efex Pro.

A common Nikon *Pro* workflow:
Import everything into AP (or LR)
Rate / Organize
Export your "hero" shots as NEFs to NX2
Edit in NX2, print, etc.

If further editing is required such as B&W conversion (which NX2 is very mediocre at doing), export out of NX2 as 16bit TIFF
into PS or back into Aperture for further editing. For B&W conversion, you can use PS's
channel mixer, etc, etc, etc ...or...NIK Silver Efex Pro plugin (highly recommended!) in either PS or AP.

Of course, this "roundtripping" is a pain in the booty, but the results are worth it...at least for your very
best images.

Hope this is of some value....

EDIT: If you never print bigger than a 8x10...don't bother with NX2. Just choose AP or LR and be happy...both are good.
*I* don't like LR's rigidity of workflow....with tools strictly within specific modules. I also prefer AP's organizational "mindset" as well.

Then again, I try to stay in NX2 as much as humanly possible...better tools, better color space (ProPhoto), etc, etc. If you *are* interested in NX2...reading Jason Odell's eBook is essential reading. Vincent Versace's DVD on NX2 is a nice compliment as well...but not essential.

Jason link: http://www.luminescentphoto.com/nx2guide.html

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
What is most obvious when reading these discusions and feature request discusions is that people do not actually know how to use the software properly. As what they ask for, is actually there a lot of the time or they compare quite different tools as if they were the same.
And to prove my point-
was a quote from jaduffy agreeing with that fact, in reply to someone's post that has now vanished, along with some of my reply so this post reads now oddly.
This quote of jaduffy I commented on, was one I found very was quite ironic considering he agreed with the fact that people talk about software they do not know how to use and then posted this.

Plus, and this is BIG...[in Capture NX] you can work in "ProPhoto" color space , which has a MUCH better gamut than AdobeRGB or sRGB.
Which neatly demonstrates my original point. What Colour space do you think LR works in jaduffy?
A subtle clue ProPhoto RGB! :p

And I'm not sure why this quite separate post was shoved in with the writing above :confused:
Gosh exhuming an old conversation! :)

The methodology/thinking behind major parts of the LR beta was actually wrong/seriously flawed and was changed as a result through the development and the tool we now have works quite differently from the original very clumsy and frankly awful beta iteration - talking about the Library here. And saying every photographer was of one mind is complete nonsense, there was a lot of bickering about how things should be done and things were changed as a result of the mistakes made with the initial workflow. Some aspects still need altering in my view, so as I'm a pro photographer, that's not exactly the unified front of all pro photography you potray.
Plus if everyone obeyed the rules and did just what the programmers [who are very rarely the real end users] thought we should do, there would be a serious stiffling of creativity. I use Acid for very complex long music mixes, despite the fact that it is a loop based programme designed for creating individual songs, not complex 90min layered mixes. It is not designed to do it, but is very good at it, despite that. I also use Excel for planning difficult mixes as it was great for laying out my notes - again not what it was designed for, but actually easier than using a layout programme. An Ad exec chap I knew did a similar sort of layout for his planning and used to use InDesign as it was a layout package and he was producing a graphic, but he was very impressed by how much easier it was by using a spreadsheet like Excel instead.
Now if I had your blinkered view, I and many others wouldn't do most of the creative things one can do with software. You learn the rules then break them or simply make new rules. I get images to look how I want them, which isn't necessarily by doing things 'properly'. Besides you do not have to do anything in any specific order in LR, not really sure how you think otherwise.:confused: There's a good practice of how to deal with images when developing for 'best' results, but that also applies to Aperture in exactly the same way. But for those of us who create instinctively rather than following predetermined steps, we don't need to follow the herd. :p

Which point? The fact you use a tool you admit struggles with the basic part of the job developing RAW files or that you simply prefer Aperture despite it's flaws. Nothing wrong with a preference that suits your very specific individual needs, but that means nothing to many others. Particularly those who use PCs, on which Aperture performs so very, very poorly! :D

Which was?

Has it bollox! This illustrates how little you know about LR and how it does not not support many a professional photographer's workflow. It is supposed to be a DAM app yet cannot even recognize files the programme itself uses - music for slideshows for example. How clunky and early 90s is that part of the programme [finding music]? Not to mention it is meant to be a tool for pro photograhers who now, may well use video and have sound for slideshows these days. The pro photography market has changed again, LR seems not to have noticed. You cannot use LR's card import facilty as it ignores many files cameras produce. Duh!And a 5DII is hardly a camera that can be ignored.
Even odder is the fact that your reason for choosing Aperture is because of this limited file recognition problem, so why now say otherwise? To quote you
"I had other forms of media to work with (HD video, 2D graphics, 3D titling) and other apps to do those tasks, so I picked the one that integrated with them flawlessly... Aperture." LR needs to recognize these for a complete Library function and good integration, but not actually process them as it can send say video files to say Final Cut, AfterEffects or Vegas.
Not to mention it's appaling Achillies heel, it doesn't even recognize large parts of my stills portfolio as it's even a bit fussy about image files. It even ignores a lot of my PSDs! :mad: A DAM app that cannot see all digital media is not a DAM app, it is a half baked tool. Which also means means you then have to use a second DAM app to handle your complete assets. That's plain stupid as it defeats the main purpose of a DAM app and LR appears to be trying to solve the pre-digital photo filing problems of 1998 not 2008! The fact that it does not even handle file labeling in the same way as Bridge is also somewhat idiotic.
LR could be absolutlely brilliant, but currently it is still deeply flawed, though at least the development module is great and way better than Aperture's attempt, which cannot even do non-destructive localised editing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.