Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zippster

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Hi all im about to go and buy this tomorrow but i have a niggle and i wonder if you can help..

being a 6month old mac convert i like using iphoto for the events and web galleries management. i see that aperture 2 intergrates with these products.

what i dont understand (and it could be the way im using it) is why can aperture not use the photos in the iphoto library? i see that i can import them into aperture but that would then mean that i have duplicates... should i just import all of my photos into aperture and just use that for piccy management or process using aperture and then export to iphoto?

any ideas would be appriciated.

Thanks

Andy..

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
what i dont understand (and it could be the way im using it) is why can aperture not use the photos in the iphoto library? i see that i can import them into aperture but that would then mean that i have duplicates... should i just import all of my photos into aperture and just use that for piccy management or process using aperture and then export to iphoto?
Andy,

I haven't ever used iPhoto, so I can't answer about a workflow that uses both programs. But once you have Aperture and use that as your primary library, you access a powerful program designed to hold hundreds of thousands of images. Sorting, reviewing, grouping, etc.

My personal opinion for Aperture maintaining a link back to iPhoto? To allow access to some consumer type actions (I believe iDVD integration is one, for example) that the Aperture team doesn't want to focus on in their program but that some users desire. Apart from these, I'd assume that almost everyone with both applications on their computers would benefit from using Aperture as the main program.

Here's some good places to go to learn about using Aperture:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/
http://www.apertureprofessional.com

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I've been unable to use Aperture because my Apple hardware was blacklisted. Now I notice that the system requirements include the newer PowerBook G4 systems. Why are single-processor PowerBook G4 systems supported, but dual-processor PowerMac workstations, with some midrange server hardware, are not listed?

Can I bypass the blacklist in this new version of Aperture? I would buy it if I could run it. I don't understand why other RAW software packages can run on basic systems that are four years old, but Aperture wants a pricey Intel server. If they want to hog system resources, how about some SPARC server support?

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
If you want to learn how to use Aperture properly, you won't do better than looking here.

These tutorials are produced for v1.5 but they cover all the main aspects contained in v2.0.

Thoroughly recommended.

power1001

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
I use Iphoto in my Aperture workflow to address several items. I import images into Iphoto and then import them into Aperture as referenced images (meaning Aperture doesn't copy the images into the Aperture library). First, if I have any videos on my camera (which I usually do) Iphoto will capture and manage them whereas Aperture doesn't. Second, Iphoto is managed automatically by Time Machine so backups don't need special consideration. Third, I use NullRiver Medialink to stream the images from Iphoto to my PS3 and HDTV for viewing (Aperture isn't supported yet). After my images are edited and organized by Aperture (sooo much better than iphoto), I re-import the good ones back into iphoto. This way I can edit a lot of images in Aperture without making a "iphoto" type duplicate and only result in an additional image after I'm happy with the Aperture result. I'm sure there are other workflows that could utilize the best features of both.

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
I never understood Aperture 1.5.. seemed overly complicated, 2.0 is a great product. Aperture finally "makes sense" the way iPhoto "makes sense" for most consumers. I would advise anyone who is skeptical to try the free trial, trust me, you won't go back to Lightroom or iPhoto.

I have heard performance complaints, but it runs great on my 2.33 MBP. I can't detect any sluggishness (which was far from the case with 1.5).

To summarize my post, Aperture 2 = Highly Recommended.

maccanuk

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Calgary, AB, CANADA
newbie $0.02 comments

Just having made the jump to the Mac from the xp world I thought I would give a bit of info on my experiences. I have used Photoshop Elements 6 on the XP and really liked it. It has a totally new cataloguing program that compares favorably to my brief exposure to Aperture 2.0 demo, and it has the editing capacity of photoshop lite that is lacking in Aperture. Add to that the price tag at half of what is being asked for Aperture and I am leaning heavily towards repurchasing a mac copy of elements 6 when it is released at the end of March.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
This isn't a knock against your preferences but Aperture and Photoshop (any version) are aimed at different audiences. There is nothing layer-based in Aperture.

Embedding/batch applying metadata, searching by ISO number, web gallery output -- different strokes for different folk!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.