Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonjsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Is anyone wiling to speculate when either 3.0 or an interim 2.5 version will be released? Also, given DSLRs are now incorporating video; do you think we'll see Aperture covering the management of moving as well as still images?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I see Aperture 2.5 this summer. 18 months seems reasonable for that type of software.

Digital cameras have been doing video for years, and I don't think we'll see support (or even storage) for it in Aperture. Video is getting into heftier DSLRs, but I don't see much sense with storing videos in Aperture, and having to edit them in another program. A sidecar program? Maybe, but not Aperture itself. Just my thought.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is anyone wiling to speculate when either 3.0 or an interim 2.5 version will be released? Also, given DSLRs are now incorporating video; do you think we'll see Aperture covering the management of moving as well as still images?

Apple will need to take advantage of the new multiprocessing features in Snow Leopard. The OS will come out in mid 2009. Wait another 6 months after that (at least) for a version of Aperture that uses those new features

I can see Aperture evolving into a kind of digital asset management system. Either that or Apple coming up with another product fill that purpose. I think it could be like a consumer level "FCP Server". Something like that but only running all on one computers not networked with a server and clients

Maybe some kind of integration with Final Cut Express

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I think maybe FCP and Aperture will work more closely in the video department.

Anyway, what I would like to see improvement in future Aperture is lower memory footprint.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I seriously hope Aperture stays far away from video. Sorry kids, but the fact that the DSLRs now include video is stupid in my opinion anyway. It is fine for a P&S, but spend your time and money on something worthy of a DSLR, like full frame sensors, less noise, and cutting the ******** megapixel myth out completely.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I would like to see Aperture incorporate the ability to automatically tie audio files to an image on import. The D3 has a microphone; let pros use it!

And even better would be if Aperture would use voice recognition to translate the audio file into IPTC data.

Imagine, PJs, writing your tag lines while the play is still happening.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Apple will need to take advantage of the new multiprocessing features in Snow Leopard. The OS will come out in mid 2009. Wait another 6 months after that (at least) for a version of Aperture that uses those new features

Definitely think 3.0 will come out after Snow Leopard. There have been some confusing reports on when SL will come out with some pundits forecasting Q1 2009. We'll probably get a better idea next week. Apple needs to show some doubters that it has plans for the future of Aperture.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I seriously hope Aperture stays far away from video. Sorry kids, but the fact that the DSLRs now include video is stupid in my opinion anyway. It is fine for a P&S, but spend your time and money on something worthy of a DSLR, like full frame sensors, less noise, and cutting the ******** megapixel myth out completely.
Yup I agree with you completely except the DSLR now include video is stupid part. I say its great as long as people remember that DSLR is meant to take photos not videos. If videos is your thing, get a proper DVR.

So far the 5D is the only FF with video so thats okay I guess ;)

I read from Canon prediction is that the megapixel war will reach till to 24 to 65 megapixel so the way will still be on for like 5 more years.

wwwluckyro

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Romania
I'm expecting to see Aperture 3.0 around Q1 2010. That would make sense. Or how about a nice Christmas gift, Steve? :rolleyes:

Features that would probably be there: 64-bit, of course and extensive use of OpenCL - that would be awesome, but it would be harder to code since it's not available on Leopard or Tiger. I don't think Apple would leave those users out . .or would they? :p

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'm expecting to see Aperture 3.0 around Q1 2010. That would make sense. Or how about a nice Christmas gift, Steve? :rolleyes:

Features that would probably be there: 64-bit, of course and extensive use of OpenCL - that would be awesome, but it would be harder to code since it's not available on Leopard or Tiger. I don't think Apple would leave those users out . .or would they? :p

...and that's the dilemma we now face. How do dev's take advantage of OpenCL/GCD AND still support Leopard users? Of course, I only want to see things built for SL, but I suppose there are some slackers out there who haven't and/or won't upgrade to SL even though it's $25.

wwwluckyro

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Romania
Quick question: Is Aperture written in Cocoa? :confused:

I heard it is. Activity Monitor says it is using at least one Carbon resource.

If it is Carbon, then they'll probably have to rewrite it..

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
...and that's the dilemma we now face. How do dev's take advantage of OpenCL/GCD AND still support Leopard users? Of course, I only want to see things built for SL, but I suppose there are some slackers out there who haven't and/or won't upgrade to SL even though it's $25.

Snow Leopard is weak on the drivers... so it's not all that imprudent to wait a few months.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Snow Leopard is weak on the drivers... so it's not all that imprudent to wait a few months.
hmm, what you mean by weak on drivers? so far from my understanding, there are driver problems cause of the 64 bit transition, enlighten me :)

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
hmm, what you mean by weak on drivers? so far from my understanding, there are driver problems cause of the 64 bit transition, enlighten me :)

Reports from my boss that his machine no longer works with his printer or card readers (photography--the card readers are both important and probably on the bottom of Apple's to-do).

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
I really hope that Aperture 3 is being released soon. They could possibly make heavy use of OpenCL for accelerating Aperture even further (not that Aperture 2 is slow but OpenCL could be used for many things that aren't yet GPU-accelerated in the current version).

With Lightroom gaining more and more popularity, my fear is that Apple might discontinue Aperture eventually if they can't keep up. I'm not a big fan of Lightroom but I have to admit that Adobe is really working hard on it. What they did with all the free updates to LR2 is something very uncommon for them (I mean... we're talking about Adobe - a company that doesn't even support a software they sold for four-digit sums less than a year ago).

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
This means absolutely nothing, but I just got back from the Apple Store in Bridgewater, NJ and while I waited for my appointment I thought I would look around. I noticed that were was only one copy of Aperture 2, and the box was damaged. I asked a sales person if they had anymore copies and he said no, that was the last one....once again, means nothing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not to sound trollish but look at the date that the OP posted his question about Aperture 30. Almost a year ago.

Also based on this blog with the survey (probably paid by adobe)
LR vs. Aperture It doesn't bode well for Aperture.

They (apple) were the first out the gate with aperture but unfortunately they've let it languish for long periods of time, letting adobe catch up.

I keep reading about more and more people switching over to the dark side and using LR over aperture. In fact I'm one of them. I don't want to start a LR is better then aperture fight. Rather my point is that I question apple's commitment to aperture especially if those numbers on that link are accurate.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Not to sound trollish but look at the date that the OP posted his question about Aperture 30. Almost a year ago.

Also based on this blog with the survey (probably paid by adobe)
LR vs. Aperture It doesn't bode well for Aperture.

They (apple) were the first out the gate with aperture but unfortunately they've let it languish for long periods of time, letting adobe catch up.

I keep reading about more and more people switching over to the dark side and using LR over aperture. In fact I'm one of them. I don't want to start a LR is better then aperture fight. Rather my point is that I question apple's commitment to aperture especially if those numbers on that link are accurate.

The numbers probably don't make sense for Apple and that's why they let it languish. Are THAT many people buying Aperture over LR for Apple to make profit? I don't think so. It's hard to compete with Adobe on that front. Especially when most Mac users are just fine with iPhoto. I don't think Aperture is a money maker for continued investment by Apple. Especially when LR has users on BOTH platforms.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Swiss bookshop ExLibris lists a book on Aperture 3 scheduled for December.

The same book is listed on the German Buchhandel.de site. Also with a planned release in December.
Nice - although those dates could slip if the software is delayed but it would seem to suggest we might see something soon. I like Aperture a lot - it's one of the reasons I switched to Mac.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I wonder if Lightroom 3 could get an announcememt/release in the next couple days from Photoshop World.

paulinbognor

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
West Sussex, UK
i started a poll in the mac forum over on dpreview and the AP vs. LR usage is VERY different from Adobes 'survey results'.

Adobe says AP 12.5% LR 44.4% - (survey size 1045)

dpreview - approx - AP 59 LR 31 - (90)

Obviously its a much smalller survey but their are lots of famous pros using Aperture, version 3 is long overdue but I think AP has a massive potential advantage as it can take AP in places LR can never go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.