Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I feel the same way. I want to test it on a MacBook as well. I appreciate user reviews from forums like these, I don't trust them. :p Some people say it's sooooo slooooow, some say it's "very usable" (rather ambiguous), while some say it's fast. What's "fast"? Fast compared to Textedit (ie: as fast as it gets), or faster than before? Faster than Lightroom?

You're right about Aperture on Macs in the showroom. I've never been to an official "Apple Store", but the reseller near my house doesn't have Aperture installed on ANY of their current Macs, including their Mac Pro with 30" screen. :rolleyes: Too bad.

Basically, I want to re-evaluate Aperture on a MacBook before I consider managing my photos with it and moving everything over. I tried Aperture on another Mac before, and it was like version 1.2 or something, so I'm sure the game is different now.

Lightroom is great and I operate very very quickly when using it, but I still want to try out Aperture before I move all my photos to Lightroom. It's too hard to make another big move over to another program after I commit to Lightroom (forever!?).

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
how fast is your lightroom?

i have a mbp 2.16 2gb 17", when i do lightroom i occasionally feel lag of a seconds or two, that's esp. bad if i select many photos at once (40ish?).. there's no beachball, just delay for a few seconds... otherthan that it's been okay...

i dont like how lightroom doesn't have zoom feature (if they do, it's not obvious...)

pvonk

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2004
So if you need to Manage and catalog your photos, and do some quick editing then Apeture is great, but I'd highly recommend using PS
with it to get the best results. Photoshop is still the King.

Lightroom is for metadata editing and Photoshop is for pixel based editing. The LR/Aperture type app is a different beast compared to PS.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Ok Curiostiy finally got me and I downloaded it and decided to try a pic or two in RAW format.... I dont see anything special about it, Im new to this so bear with me but anyways some one send me a link to a basic and advandace tutorial because I just dont see the diffirence between raw and Jpeg in aperature

i really want to learn about it though:cool:

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
Ok Curiostiy finally got me and I downloaded it and decided to try a pic or two in RAW format.... I dont see anything special about it, Im new to this so bear with me but anyways some one send me a link to a basic and advandace tutorial because I just dont see the diffirence between raw and Jpeg in aperature

i really want to learn about it though:cool:

First off, both file formats will look the same in the viewer. It's what can be done with them that makes the two very different. When shooting RAW, you really don't need to worry about white balance or exposure settings in the camera. You can adjust these in Aperture, with suprising results. You can also adjust jpegs, but not to the same extent. I tried looking for links for you, but really had no luck. There are several books and magazine tutorials out there though, so good luck. :)

Here are some links from Apple, you might of seen already.
http://www.apple.com/aperture/process/index.html
http://www.apple.com/aperture/resources/tutorial/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.