Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
eXan is right. Automatic mode (in camera or in iPhoto) is for "good enough," while Aperture (and Lightroom) are for better than "good enough."

You can, however, save a set of adjustments in Ap and LR as pre-sets, and apply them to other pictures. So, if you take 25 pictures in the same location, you could save a pre-sets group, and apply them to all 25.

maccanuk

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Calgary, AB, CANADA
Same boat as you...

I am in the same boat in that I am trying to decide on my photo editing suite. I am anxiously awaiting elements 6 for the mac. (had it on the pc and liked it...Elements 6 has an organizer package that looks to be just as flexible and usable as aperture 2). I am currently test driving a bunch of 30 day demos and have so far come to the following preliminary conclusions:
Aperture2 is more intuitive than Adobe Lightroom.
Photoshop cs3 is waay more complex than Elements.

So, my dilemma now stands as follows: Do I get aperture2 and elements 6 or do I start out with elements6 and, if I don't find the mac version of the Organizer up to snuff, shell out the extra $200 for Aperture. Given that the release for Elements is around the end of March, I think I will wait and ride out the balance of my demo time on Aperture.

Minimum expenditure possible...Elements 6 for $89
Maximum expenditure possibel Elements 6 + Aperture2 = $289

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.