Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm currently running the latest beta of iPadOS 16 that would be given from the AppleSeed for IT Program (It is shown as "iPadOS 16 Public Beta", but I know that's not ACTUALLY out yet). I'm running it on a 64GB Space Gray Wi-Fi Only iPad Air (Third Generation; Wi-Fi Only). I'm well aware that this is an early beta and that there will be glitches in the software. For the record, I'm not posting this to complain that there are bugs or glitches (again, I'm expecting that there will be). However, I'd like to compare notes and see if I'm not the only one experiencing the following issue (on this specific model of iPad or on others):

When I go to the App Store to download a new (free) App that has not previously been associated with my Apple ID, after tapping the "Get" Button, it turns into the usual spinning circle, but then nothing happens. I'm not prompted to authenticate with my Apple ID password, Touch ID, or anything of the sort. It just swirls indefinitely. It doesn't matter which app, or whether I do this with multiple. Force quitting the App Store and relaunching, with or without a full reboot in between, does nothing. Anyone else running the iPadOS 16 IT/"Public" Beta (give or take on a Third Generation Wi-Fi only iPad Air) getting this?

Again, am mainly curious to compare notes and experiences, not complain about these bugs (which, believe it or not, I'm totally here for).

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Yeesh. That's frustrating. For the record no such issues for me with the dev beta. I can only suggest doing the old sign out of iCloud (optionally, restart) and sign into iCloud dance. Seems to solve - or work around - a lot of random account issues year after year.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yeesh. That's frustrating. For the record no such issues for me with the dev beta. I can only suggest doing the old sign out of iCloud (optionally, restart) and sign into iCloud dance. Seems to solve - or work around - a lot of random account issues year after year.
Interestingly, I tried signing out and then back in. (Although, now that I think of it, I didn't reboot in between.) Didn't do anything. Signed out of the Apple ID I was using for this (not my primary) and into my primary Apple ID to see if downloading apps previously owned would result in anything different (for context, the Apple ID I am using on this is pretty new and has no existing iOS/iPadOS/Universal apps associated with it). It didn't. A silly issue.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Although, an update, I did reboot after signing back into my newer more barren Apple ID and it worked. Though, again, super strange considering that the only thing I did following an otherwise fresh setup of iPadOS 16 was to re-enroll into the AppleSeed Beta profile for iOS/iPadOS 16. A little silly that there'd be anything requiring a reboot before that starts working. Though, again, this IS a beta. My build is 20A5283p, if that helps.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Although, an update, I did reboot after signing back into my newer more barren Apple ID and it worked. Though, again, super strange considering that the only thing I did following an otherwise fresh setup of iPadOS 16 was to re-enroll into the AppleSeed Beta profile for iOS/iPadOS 16. A little silly that there'd be anything requiring a reboot before that starts working. Though, again, this IS a beta. My build is 20A5283p, if that helps.
That's the same build as Dev Beta 1. Beta life is fun! Glad you are able to get things installed at least

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
That's the same build as Dev Beta 1. Beta life is fun! Glad you are able to get things installed at least
Oh dude, it gets sillier. So, figuring that doing more thorough testing is all a part of the fun here, I did a DFU restore to the iPadOS 16 Beta, figuring that might be more thorough than merely upgrading from 15 to 16 Beta and then wiping. I wiped, signed into the Apple ID I was to be using for this (again, not my primary Apple ID), had the same issue again. Force quitting the App Store, removing my Apple ID from Apps and iTunes Purchases, then re-adding, then rebooting, solved it. But it seems consistent that I need to do that coming from a clean install into this beta.

Also, completely unsurprisingly enough, the MDM profiles from Microsoft Intune Company Portal do not work. Adventures in early beta testing! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.