Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Chuckle.
I am heavily into both environments and became even more concerned about Apple back when they looked to roll out the CSAM tool. I can easily say that security on my S23U/S24U is superior than my 15PM. Sure there are slightly more areas a user can get mired however the user interactions occur predominately via text/email (phishing) than apps. If you are an Android user and are concerned about the chance of a rouge app, stick to OEM and Google stores.
I'm absolutely not concerned about myself getting a rogue app. My main concern is about people I know getting a rouge app because they are mostly computer stupid šŸ˜Ž

Security out of the box on pretty much any OS (Even including Windows these days) is pretty darn tight. Until you start installing applications from unknown sources online, or in this side of the world side-street "installers", who will happily load up your phone with 100 cracked apps for $5 (and probably clone your phone while they are at it).

The CSAM tool sure was a scary idea and had real potential to be used/abused for many other purposes simply by adjusting detection parameters to align with a "different" database - I'm sure that it never would be of course even if a government asked Apple to... right? :rolleyes:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I'm absolutely not concerned about myself getting a rogue app. My main concern is about people I know getting a rouge app because they are mostly computer stupid šŸ˜Ž

Security out of the box on pretty much any OS (Even including Windows these days) is pretty darn tight. Until you start installing applications from unknown sources online, or in this side of the world side-street "installers", who will happily load up your phone with 100 cracked apps for $5 (and probably clone your phone while they are at it).

The CSAM tool sure was a scary idea and had real potential to be used/abused for many other purposes simply by adjusting detection parameters to align with a "different" database - I'm sure that it never would be of course even if a government asked Apple to... right? :rolleyes:

I hear you. Between friends, peers, and family, the majority use Android (pens and foldable are the current interest). Social media idiocy and phishing is the biggest headache fro those who are ā€œknowledge lackingā€. When a later evolution of alt app stores hits the US for iOS I donā€™t expect that to change in any meaningful way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.