Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'd like to just know in general; Is 32-bit support still there? I would think that it is, and that it'll first go away in 10.15, but just for good measure.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
For what it's worth, Mojave includes '64-bit testing mode' which can be enabled in Terminal.

"Developers can use 64-bit testing mode in macOS 10.14 to test software for 64-bit compatibility.
The 64-bit testing mode prevents 32-bit processes from launching. Launching an app that depends on 32-bit software results in a notification that the application can't be opened. Other types of software may fail silently, such as 32-bit versions of Dashboard and WebKit plugins, preference panes, and background processes."

Make of that what you will.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Yes. So I wouldn't count on them working in 10.15.
[doublepost=1528151607][/doublepost]But it's good that Apple is providing another year of 32-bit app support.
Agreed. Considering that the warning was added late in High Sierra's release cycle I think Apple would have upset a ton of people if they'd killed 32bit support in 10.14.

Of course they're going to upset a ton of people even if they kill it in 10.15. Plus one can't help but remark that Windows is showing no signs of removing 32bit app support. But glad that is a battle for sometime in the future and not one we have to fight now.

Edit: Is Apple's own DVD player still 32bit? I notice they suppress their own warning dialog box for that one :D

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'm happy to report that 32-bit apps still launch on Mojave beta.

Brillant, Apple wrote me about an invite now so I'm installing the beta on a spare SSD now myself. Will be fun to play with :)
Also quite liking iOS 12 on my iPad Air so far - it actually does feel snappier already. I also like the new gestures - never cared for the merging of Control Centre and App Switcher. - Not sure about the new status bar though. - Anyways, that's for another thread ;)
[doublepost=1528155908][/doublepost]
Of course they're going to upset a ton of people even if they kill it in 10.15. Plus one can't help but remark that Windows is showing no signs of removing 32bit app support. But glad that is a battle for sometime in the future and not one we have to fight now.

To be fair, Windows only recently removed 16-bit support. They do like to cling to the past more than Apple. For better and for worse.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
For what it's worth, Mojave includes '64-bit testing mode' which can be enabled in Terminal.

"Developers can use 64-bit testing mode in macOS 10.14 to test software for 64-bit compatibility.
The 64-bit testing mode prevents 32-bit processes from launching. Launching an app that depends on 32-bit software results in a notification that the application can't be opened. Other types of software may fail silently, such as 32-bit versions of Dashboard and WebKit plugins, preference panes, and background processes."

Make of that what you will.

This is in High Sierra too. 10.13.4 added it.

Reactions: cambookpro

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Working
- Office 365 Apps (2016 versions)
- RSA SecurID
- Android Studio

Not Working
VMWare Horizon View Client (used to get to my company virtual desktop (VDI)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.