Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Supposedly Microsoft is going to embed AI assistance throughout Windows in a big update in the second half of 2024.

Makes you wonder if we will see such an effort for the Mac with WWDC 2024, or whether they will end up playing catch-up for a year or so. I was recently rewatching the film ‘Her’ and it feels to me like a computer that could have an actually useful “digital secretary” mode is not that far away.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Supposedly Microsoft is going to embed AI assistance throughout Windows in a big update in the second half of 2024.

Makes you wonder if we will see such an effort for the Mac with WWDC 2024, or whether they will end up playing catch-up for a year or so. I was recently rewatching the film ‘Her’ and it feels to me like a computer that could have an actually useful “digital secretary” mode is not that far away.
I'm probably in a the very, very small minority about this but I hope all of this AI blows up in all of these companies faces. It probably wont but the societal, mental, economic and legal problems AI will generate makes me think it just isn't worth it. The last thing I need is my computer or phone suggesting or assuming ANYTHING I want to do at any point. It's one thing to anticipate something. It's another thing to act on that anticipation without real permission. AI, in its current form, is a time bomb of assumptions based on inaccurate data sources.

Why I will never, ever, trust AI: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/science-technology-news-breakthroughs.1738400/post-32406559

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.