Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
Google’s stranglehold of web browser technology will be complete once EU forces Apple to allow third party engines on iPhone. At the moment, Safari is the only real world alternative for Google’s technology.

Google will release native Chromium, and Chrome and Edge will start using it.

Well done, EU, especially when they are doing this to “foster innovation and competition” 😂

EU is delusional if they think that new web browser engines will emerge because of this. They do not emerge even now; not for Windows, not for Mac, not for Android. Even Microsoft gave up the development of their own because it’s insanely complex.

I find it amusing that MacRumours forum members are actually rooting for this.
I hope they like Electron apps, because that’s what’s coming next.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Google’s stranglehold of web browser technology will be complete once EU forces Apple to allow third party engines on iPhone. At the moment, Safari is the only real world alternative for Google’s technology.

Well done, EU, especially when they are doing this to “foster innovation and competition” 😂

EU is delusional if they think that new web browser engines will emerge because of this. They do not emerge even now; not for Windows, not for Mac, not for Android. Even Microsoft gave up the development of their own because it’s insanely complex.

I find it amusing that you are actually pretending for people to be limited to an inferior engine, thats the best Apple can come up with? I guess it shows, yea.

Reactions: prefuse07

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
The fact that we users of devices in the Apple ecosystem simply do not care about whether or not we can run the Safari browser on Android should tell you everything you need to know.

So, Apple, by making its ecosystem exceedingly attractive should now invite others to ruin it. Hmmm! Sounds like the argument for why the western world should allow unlimited and indiscriminate migration into their territories.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2014

Exactly that. It’s extremely short-sighted and demonstrates that the EU official pushing for these legislation either have no clue what they’re doing, or they’re doing it under false pretenses

ACHD

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2015
This BS argument is how you know apple knows its a gatekeeper and is trying to avoid what happened to MS with IE.

Apple knows its guilty of forcing the safari webkit browser on everyone. even appstorte browsers all use safari's webkit and are just skinned.

The argument that safari serves different purposes is childish and desperate. like holly sheeet.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Safari users on the Apple Discussion Forums are always wanting to update Safari to the latest version only to be told to do that they need to upgrade to the latest version of macOS, especially if they are running macOS earlier than Big Sur. So the only option available is to download and use a third party browser like Firefox or Chrome or Edge or others.

Apple is known for its tight integration of hardware and software stability. The EU’s DMA seems to destroy that tight integration by forcing third party core technologies like a browser engine. What’s next, forcing changes to security and privacy, also something Apple is known for? Remember Flash player? When users got nailed by Flash’s numerous security issues who did they blame? Not Adobe.

koelsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2021
I'm not sure how they decided a certain number of Safari users is the metric to require Apple to allow other browser engines. Does that mean if Apple Maps doesn't have that same number of users in the EU then they could kick other services off until there were enough users? Or if there's not enough users of the notes app they could kick off all other note taking apps?

On the one hand it would be great to have other browser engines for when something doesn't work in Safari. On the other hand I have 5 fingers and this will only give Google the entire worldwide browser market on a silver platter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.