Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Guys thank you for such good replies, it definitely helped me get a broad idea and decide whether apple care is worth it or not! However I just found out that in UK they do not provide us the additional option of adding loss and theft, that is a bit strange ..why is that? I searched other policies online and all other insurers seem to include loss and theft and all of them seem to be somewhat cheaper than the 15$ apple charges per month, but not by much..
I’m just surprised they don’t have this option in UK, hence I also considered other insurers but I don’t know how much they are reliable, reading from online reviews ..
Anybody has any experience?

Dominican

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2013
AppleCare is a lifesaver if out of warranty and your phone cracks somehow that's around 600 repair

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Guys thank you for such good replies, it definitely helped me get a broad idea and decide whether apple care is worth it or not! However I just found out that in UK they do not provide us the additional option of adding loss and theft, that is a bit strange ..why is that? I searched other policies online and all other insurers seem to include loss and theft and all of them seem to be somewhat cheaper than the 15$ apple charges per month, but not by much..
I’m just surprised they don’t have this option in UK, hence I also considered other insurers but I don’t know how much they are reliable, reading from online reviews ..
Anybody has any experience?

That pretty much sums up my experience with AC+ after my phone got stolen here in Mexico. Zero help from Apple whatsoever, even though they could’ve technically easily traced the phone. I’ll sure as hell never get AC+ ever again. My brother on the other hand, with a good home insurance plan for him and his family, got a brand new iPhone delivered to his door when his old one got lost or damaged (don’t remember exactly which one it was). And that was in no way thanks to Apple’s “great” customer service, but rather his insurance company. Apple only include loss or theft within the US unfortunately. I know, it’s pretty f-ed up imo.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you can afford to self-insure against any damage or loss, then do so. If you can do the former but, prefer the first class customer service afforded with AC+ benefits, then get AC+.

Honestly, part of the reason I get AC+ is for the express replacement service. But yeah, peace of mind as well. I can self-insure but I would be really, really, really pissed off if I had to spend $$$ on a replacement phone just weeks before the Apple keynote.

As for Theft and Loss coverage. That's covered by AIG in the US (at least they do in California). Perhaps Apple couldn't find an insurance company in the UK to partner with that would offer them attractive rates.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
Yeah, the fact that it is highly probable that it is a waste of money. I would never ever ever ever ever ever get it. Same as wasting 12 bucks or whatever it is these days a month on insurance.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just buy a decent case and look after your phone. I haven’t broken an iPhone before in all the years I’ve owned one. I have had a couple go faulty but never needed AC to get a replacement. My wife shut an iPhone 5 in a car car once but we have good home insurance which covered that and she got a replacement phone within a week. Our daughters have smashed a couple of iPad screens but these are £30 to fix. AppleCare just seems like a waste of money unless you are regularly breaking your devices and don’t have good home insurance. You often find your carrier will offer a cheaper plan too.

aRByJr

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Somewhere in NY
…You often find your carrier will offer a cheaper plan too.
Here thru Verizon you can get insurance that cost just a couple $’s less and have almost the same coverage, with battery replacement & cracked screen repair for just a $29 charge (just like AppleCare),
The only difference with the screen repair is with going thru Asurion (that’s who VZW uses as their insurance company) if you get your screen replaced the phones water resistants is no longer, with AppleCare if they replace a cracked screen (for the same price) the water resistants is still intact...

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
Im dead against any form insurance , I much prefer self insurance, although it can be mismanaged at times. If I was mortgage free Id drop my home owners insurance.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Who buys from carriers anymore?
Im dead against any form insurance , I much prefer self insurance, although it can be mismanaged at times. If I was mortgage free Id drop my home owners insurance.
lol good luck with that. Probably the dumbest comment I’ve ever seen on here.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
That pretty much sums up my experience with AC+ after my phone got stolen here in Mexico. Zero help from Apple whatsoever, even though they could’ve technically easily traced the phone. I’ll sure as hell never get AC+ ever again. My brother on the other hand, with a good home insurance plan for him and his family, got a brand new iPhone delivered to his door when his old one got lost or damaged (don’t remember exactly which one it was). And that was in no way thanks to Apple’s “great” customer service, but rather his insurance company. Apple only include loss or theft within the US unfortunately. I know, it’s pretty f-ed up imo.

I believe you can easily trace it yourself with the Find My app as well as Apple can provided that service is on the phone and it has internet connectivity.

Your carrier could also blacklist the imei to stop it from another activation.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't require luck ( insurance ) when it comes to insuring my valuables.
You didn’t mean not have buildings insurance did you, just for possessions?

I only say that because last summer we had a house fire in my street and the guy who lived there didn’t have any buildings and contents insurance. His fridge caught fire while he was working away and the house was completely gutted. People donated clothes and bits to him but his £200k house was sold off as a shell for £60k, so he lost out big time. He’d only finished paying off the mortgage in 2018 and couldn’t afford a renovation.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
I always buy Applecare; it gives me peace of mind which is priceless tbh. I don't need to baby my phone, and can go caseless or use a very slim case. I still always use a screen protector however; just because display micro scratches really bug my OCD.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
You didn’t mean not have buildings insurance did you, just for possessions?

I only say that because last summer we had a house fire in my street and the guy who lived there didn’t have any buildings and contents insurance. His fridge caught fire while he was working away and the house was completely gutted. People donated clothes and bits to him but his £200k house was sold off as a shell for £60k, so he lost out big time. He’d only finished paying off the mortgage in 2018 and couldn’t afford a renovation.
Depends, home insurance back in the UK is fairly reasonable last time I checked. Here in the USA its a **** take, some people pay between $1.5-2.5K a year for a home rebuild value sub $200K, statistically not many homes need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Depends, home insurance back in the UK is fairly reasonable last time I checked. Here in the USA its a **** take, some people pay between $1.5-2.5K a year for a home rebuild value sub $200K, statistically not many homes need to be rebuilt from the ground up.
Yeah I think I pay £350 a year and that even covers our iPhones and iPads if we smash them or lose them away from the home. I suppose a lot of homes in the US are made or wood or clad, whereas here it’s very rare to find a home made from anything other than brick. You’d lose the lot if they was a fire. You get stung by a lot by the sounds but I wouldn’t risk it personally.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I believe you can easily trace it yourself with the Find My app as well as Apple can provided that service is on the phone and it has internet connectivity.

Hehe. The first thing professional thieves do is turn off the phone, making it unsearchable through Find my iPhone. It wouldn’t even let me erase the phone. Useless in this case. Same with the carrier.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Hehe. The first thing professional thieves do is turn off the phone, making it unsearchable through Find my iPhone. It wouldn’t even let me erase the phone. Useless in this case. Same with the carrier.

Well, at least it’s useless for the thief as well, except for parts.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Well, at least it’s useless for the thief as well, except for parts.

I honestly don’t know how they do it here, but these kind of thieves are particularly crafty. Countless phones get stolen every day. I got held up at gunpoint the last time my phone got stolen. The police came to my house and took the report. They were also hanging over my shoulder as I was trying to track the phone through the Find My (iPhone) iCloud feature on my computer. It of course showed up as being offline. I tried it countless times, over several days, to no avail. I’m confident they have a way of making these phones work again, or else they wouldn’t have bothered. It was a mint condition iPhone XS 256GB gold.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Yeah I think I pay £350 a year and that even covers our iPhones and iPads if we smash them or lose them away from the home. I suppose a lot of homes in the US are made or wood or clad, whereas here it’s very rare to find a home made from anything other than brick. You’d lose the lot if they was a fire. You get stung by a lot by the sounds but I wouldn’t risk it personally.
We've had a $65K for a burst water pipe, cost me $300 excess and $250 to fix pipe, spent 10 weeks in a holiday house all paid for by insurance, even inet service and dog boarding.

Reactions: whattodo11

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I honestly don’t know how they do it here, but these kind of thieves are particularly crafty. Countless phones get stolen every day. I got held up at gunpoint the last time my phone got stolen.

Sorry to hear this happened to you, I can only imagine what a bad experience this must have been.

Reactions: Barbareren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.