Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Ally is a very subjective term.
Any term can be subjective. But for this case I doubt this is some personal invention, and most likely a reference to countries that are considered ally by a broad part of the public.

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
What about an OS level handling of the PUSH encryption, if they are reaching out to apple services etc., couldn't the IS automatically step in, encrypt on device before it leaves and that solves the problem, universally encrypted push notification, take that step out of the app dev hands or add in a gatekeeper point at the OS love that don't allow the children go out without their hat, coat and gloves!

Just my 2c with not enough idea of the technical complexity involved.

Hildy

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
I was listening to music on the same iPhone I read this article on, and a the following song by Rockwell played. Clearly the Music app is in on it. 😂

I used to shrug off the slow creep of privacy invasion with the classic excuse that I don't do anything worth worrying about. Then in my home country of Canada they repeatedly hired a glorified sock puppet as their head of state and he proceeded to freeze people's bank accounts if they had a different opinion than he did regarding free speech...

Libertarian perspectives need to be shared widely while we still have a semblance of democracy.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Apple told everyone, I think it was 5 years ago, that they are legally not allowed to disclose everything.

Well I wasn’t aware of that so they didn’t tell everyone, but fair enough. Either way, that only really matters if one’s goal is defending Apple. The wider issue is that it’s happening at all, and the even more important question of what else is going on that we don’t yet know about or never will. This kind of entanglement between corporation and state has a name, and it begins with F and ends with M.

That’s my view anyway. Goes without saying you’re free to disagree 👍

Reactions: Omega Mac

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So TLDR: the cat is out of the bag. Apple just admitted it won’t tell you if the state is monitoring everything you ever do on your devices. Good to know 👍
Incorrect. Apple does not know what you are doing on your device. Only that an interaction has occurred on their servers which is bad enough.

The only way to not have this is to have peer to peer where possible.

Reactions: JapanApple

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well I wasn’t aware of that so they didn’t tell everyone, but fair enough.
Well to be fair I didn’t get the email either, but I knew.
Either way, that only really matters if one’s goal is defending Apple.
In apples defense they have no recourse.
The wider issue is that it’s happening at all, and the even more important question of what else is going on that we don’t yet know about or never will. This kind of entanglement between corporation and state has a name, and it begins with F and ends with M.
This is a whole other issue.
Yep and you know that will happen.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Well I wasn’t aware of that so they didn’t tell everyone, but fair enough. Either way, that only really matters if one’s goal is defending Apple. The wider issue is that it’s happening at all, and the even more important question of what else is going on that we don’t yet know about or never will. This kind of entanglement between corporation and state has a name, and it begins with F and ends with M.

Some facts are in Apples favor, but doesn't necessarily mean I defend it. Or disagree with your wider sentiment. I just think it important to get facts straight, as then it is easier to bark up all the trees as needed. It was written a lot about this, even here on Macrumors when Apple released its first transparency report as it stated that they were not allowed to release certain and exact information.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
You probably only have disabled the reception/display of push notifications. They are still being sent (given that it’s not your iPhone that sends them, but cloud services).
If it helps - but does not completely answer:

Q: If an app attempts to send a notification to an iOS device that is either powered off or has no network connectivity push notifications need to be kept in queue.

For how long does Apple retain notifications to allow the device time to contact the APNS servers?

A: “It depends on the service that sent the notification in the first place. The service (i.e. the backend system that supports an app such as Facebook or any other app) sends their notifications to Apple's push notificationservice over a HTTP/2-based API. In that API it sets a parameter known as "apns-expiration", which determines how long time Apple's push notification service will queue the notification to be delivered when the device is online again.

The "apns-expiration" parameter can be set to 0, which means that it won't be queued at all.

If set to a higher number than 0 that is the number of seconds, the message will be queued.

Finally, the service can choose not to send the parameter at all, or send it as -1 (negative). This means it should be queued for as long as possible.

The maximium queue time is not infinite, but is chosen by Apple - and seemingly not documented anywhere. However, PC World described in 2009 that the maximum at that time was 28 days:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/167652/the_limits_of_apples_push_notification_for_the_iphone.html

--jksoegaard”

So it seems the device would have to be off-line for about a month before each push notification gives up. So I’ll assume disabling push notifications is in the phone and thus traceable?

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I'm already on the list, I have a shared meme album on iCloud, they probably been tracking me for years, at least I give them a good laugh:p

Someone I know did some lobbying for one political party where I lived. Funnily, he asked another “connected” person to pull up his file and was able to see what they had. It was boring, sort of like an Equifax report.

People are mostly boring. You really have to work at it to impress NSA types these days.

• Haha
Reactions: JosephAW

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
One last thing is that it looks like you could still be tracked through browsers instead of apps, but you may have a better chance of disabling pinging on some browsers than others. Others here may know more than I…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.