Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tribaltek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Just got off the with Apple support. I have a defect with my AWU2 trail loop band where it is fraying on one side. I've never had an issue with any watch band before this. The watch (and band) are still under warranty.

After initially being told they would replace it under warranty, then asking me to turn off Find My for my watch (why?), the support rep then emailed a link to purchase one at full price. This was after nearly 30 minutes of being on the phone (and again, after being told they would replace it).

In the end, they basically said it was my fault and they wouldn't replace it. I asked to escalate the issue and they told me they wouldn't.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/accessory-warranty-english.html clearly states "Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase"

Am I crazy for thinking I should be able to get a warranty replacement?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Just got off the with Apple support. I have a defect with my AWU2 trail loop band where it is fraying on one side. I've never had an issue with any watch band before this. The watch (and band) are still under warranty.

After initially being told they would replace it under warranty, then asking me to turn off Find My for my watch (why?), the support rep then emailed a link to purchase one at full price. This was after nearly 30 minutes of being on the phone (and again, after being told they would replace it).

In the end, they basically said it was my fault and they wouldn't replace it. I asked to escalate the issue and they told me they wouldn't.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/accessory-warranty-english.html clearly states "Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase"

Am I crazy for thinking I should be able to get a warranty replacement?
I had an Ocean band “ripping” at one of the Ti “clasps” rendering it useless/not safe anymore to wear (I created a thread with some photos a year or so ago. This was after about 6 or 8 months so out of warranty here in the US. But I had AC+ and they sent me a new one.
Now mine was not usable anymore and it sounds that you can still use yours?

I’d either escalate or go to an Apple Store, express your disappointment with the quality..

Reactions: tribaltek

tribaltek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I had an Ocean band “ripping” at one of the Ti “clasps” rendering it useless/not safe anymore to wear (I created a thread with some photos a year or so ago. This was after about 6 or 8 months so out of warranty here in the US. But I had AC+ and they sent me a new one.
Now mine was not usable anymore and it sounds that you can still use yours?

I’d either escalate or go to an Apple Store, express your disappointment with the quality..
Yes, my trail loop band is still usable, and I will continue using it. I'm just not satisfied with the quality as it is fraying at the seam on one side. And I'm certainly not interested in paying $99 for a new band.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It's like the only possible explanation is a hardware defect. They have have determined that it was misused or abused. What rationale did they give you for "your fault"?

tribaltek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
It's like the only possible explanation is a hardware defect. They have have determined that it was misused or abused. What rationale did they give you for "your fault"?
Their rationale was that it has been over 90 days since purchase of my AWU2 (this band came with it), so in their eyes the manufacturers defect was due to "wear and tear".

I've never once snagged this band on anything, and I also don't even wear it every day. I use a different band for workouts.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Not crazy. Especially for how expensive those are. I have read that people have better luck in person at the store getting them to replace via warranty. Might be worth a try.
Agree - this feels like one of those things where doing it in person has a better shot. These types of warranty requests are the type where it isn't black and white, and if you can get an Apple rep in-store to be sympathetic / on-your-side, they have the authority (or can discuss with a manager) to push the replacement through.

I would suggest though, go in and make your case in a respectful, non-entitled attitude with the Apple rep. If you're a loyal Apple user, have other products, etc., I find it's helped to drop little quick mentions of it here and there.

Depending on what Apple stores you have around you, if you have options, all things equal I also find going to one in a nicer neighborhood, smaller store / less busy mall etc. is better. The larger, more popular Apple Stores in the big malls, probably have a ton of people trying to come in and game the system. Those sales reps / managers probably have seen it all, and not surprising if they're less sympathetic/

FWIW, I got my milanese steel strap for my stainless steel AW7 replaced in the 1yr mark (it was probably also around 5-6 months old), when one of the "small circles" seemed to come unclasped along the edge, and anytime I wore a long-sleeve shirt / sweater, it would get snagged. Really felt like a manufacturing defect. Did my "wear and use" over time contribute to it? Possibly. But I also felt it should have been made better. And so there was some discretion on whether a sales rep could be on my side, or deny it. Go in with a "honey vs vinegar" attitude, and you might have some luck.

Bichon

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2019
Not crazy. Especially for how expensive those are. I have read that people have better luck in person at the store getting them to replace via warranty. Might be worth a try.
Sorry but no, I'm going with crazy X 3. First that Apple has the gall to charge $99 for a fabric watch band that likely has a landed cost of less than a dollar, second that people are willing to pay that ridiculous price, or third that Apple isn't bending over backwards to keep customers willing to pay it satisfied when a warranty issues pops up, even if there is some question about whether it's wear and tear or a manufacturing defect.

TheBMacAttack

Suspended
Jul 17, 2024
I am not sure this is a warranty concern. Nothing against you OP, but it's a fabric band. What was your expectation of the band? A defect would be the strap ripping where the titanium lugs are, or the band not velcroing together. If they replaced your band, you would be sitting in the same situation in 6 months. It's just the product of the materials and manufacturing that Apple used for this band. It sucks, but it's not defective.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

avheatherim

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2023
Sorry but no, I'm going with crazy X 3. First that Apple has the gall to charge $99 for a fabric watch band that likely has a landed cost of less than a dollar, second that people are willing to pay that ridiculous price, or third that Apple isn't bending over backwards to keep customers willing to pay it satisfied when a warranty issues pops up, even if there is some question about whether it's wear and tear or a manufacturing defect.
I was saying "Not crazy" replying to the OP's question: "Am I crazy for thinking I should be able to get a warranty replacement?"

Reactions: Bichon

tribaltek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I am not sure this is a warranty concern. Nothing against you OP, but it's a fabric band. What was your expectation of the band? A defect would be the strap ripping where the titanium lugs are, or the band not velcroing together. If they replaced your band, you would be sitting in the same situation in 6 months. It's just the product of the materials and manufacturing that Apple used for this band. It sucks, but it's not defective.
My expectation is that this band would have no defects just like every other band I've had for every other Apple watch I've owned.

TheBMacAttack

Suspended
Jul 17, 2024
My expectation is that this band would have no defects just like every other band I've had for every other Apple watch I've owned.
It doesn't have defects. What you described was wear and tear. It is what happens to fabric bands when you wear them everyday.

TheBMacAttack

Suspended
Jul 17, 2024
We can agree to disagree, but I've had plenty of fabric bands and none have exhibited anything like this.
But the key is Apple disagrees with you. MR is filled with people saying their Trail loops have done the same thing yours has. Heck I have one as well, and it's done the same. Every single band can't be defective.

I am not going to disagree that for $99 it should hold up better, but it's not defective. There is no way Apple should give a free warranty replacement. They would have to give everyone that bought that band a replacement for free if that were the case.

Bandoholic

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2024
2 ways to pursue this, escalate the issue with support and trying to chat with a manager in a respectful manner who may have the power and leeway to resolve your issue.
Secondly is to visit an Apple Store or 2, if that’s at all possible, you may have better luck there.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
I am not going to disagree that for $99 it should hold up better, but it's not defective. There is no way Apple should give a free warranty replacement. They would have to give everyone that bought that band a replacement for free if that were the case.

The quality is sub par for a $99 band. Saying it is 'not defective' is mearly talking semantics here. A $99 strap should hold longer than a couple of months under normal use. If not it does not meet reasonable expectations for a band of that price and one can argue it is defective. The least Apple can do is take it back and give a replacement for free. In fact, they should take it off the market and apologize to everyone on their knees with a bouquet of flowers and a refund. This quality is not worthy of Apple.

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 601
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Go to an Apple store and complain. There are many of us that have analog and digital watches going back to the 70's and 80's that have fabric straps on them and been worn nearly everyday and they have not 'frayed'. People claiming the fraying is due to wear and tear is a poor excuse.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
It is just fabric and it will wear over time. This was predictable when Apple started selling straps made out of fabric. They would fray and get dirty.

TheBMacAttack

Suspended
Jul 17, 2024
The quality is sub par for a $99 band. Saying it is 'not defective' is mearly talking semantics here. A $99 strap should hold longer than a couple of months under normal use. If not it does not meet reasonable expectations for a band of that price and one can argue it is defective. The least Apple can do is take it back and give a replacement for free. In fact, they should take it off the market and apologize to everyone on their knees with a bouquet of flowers and a refund. This quality is not worthy of Apple.
You can argue all you would like that it's defective, but that is now how things work. Showing signs of wear and tear faster than the customer thinks it should, does not deem a product defective. If you wear a pair of shoes more and run in them and go on outdoor trails, your shoe is gonna show lots more wear and tear than mine that I just wear to my office job everyday. That does not make yours defective. Just because someone wears a band harder than someone else, doesn't make it defective.

Also, very interesting OP hasn't posted a picture of said defectiveness.

TheBMacAttack

Suspended
Jul 17, 2024
Go to an Apple store and complain. There are many of us that have analog and digital watches going back to the 70's and 80's that have fabric straps on them and been worn nearly everyday and they have not 'frayed'. People claiming the fraying is due to wear and tear is a poor excuse.
I will say this again, we have no picture of said band. So we dont know if this is extreme or not. My prediction is that it looks like it's been worn for several months.

laptech

macrumors 601
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
It is just fabric and it will wear over time. This was predictable when Apple started selling straps made out of fabric. They would fray and get dirty.
I beg to differ. I own a Tommy Hilfiger watch from what I believe is from the 80's/90's that was worn by it's owner ever day of their life. I got it when they passed away. I repair watches as a hobby and it came from a relative of a work friend. I have enclosed pictures of it's well worn strap. It is a fabric strap with Velcro on it. You can see the paint of the company logo is well worn off but you will notice there is no fraying from the strap especially when you consider it's age and how often it was worn. This strap has survived the test of time, well worn, well used and yet no fraying and yet the OP is saying a brand new fabric strap has started to fray 6 months in from using it. That is not acceptable.

strap1.jpg

strap2.jpg

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
You can argue all you would like that it's defective, but that is now how things work. Showing signs of wear and tear faster than the customer thinks it should, does not deem a product defective. If you wear a pair of shoes more and run in them and go on outdoor trails, your shoe is gonna show lots more wear and tear than mine that I just wear to my office job everyday. That does not make yours defective. Just because someone wears a band harder than someone else, doesn't make it defective.

Also, very interesting OP hasn't posted a picture of said defectiveness.

I don't argue it is defective. I argue that you are talking semantics. Let's call it 'subpar' then. Also you are starting to blame the user now. As I already said a $99 strap should not wear and tear (under normal use) after a couple of months. I have cheap watches with cheap $10 straps that are still holding up fine after a couple of years. You can give me examples about shoes wearing an tearing all you want (shoes are also expected to last longer than a couple of months under normal use by the way). That does not change the fact that this (under normal use) should not happen to a $99 Apple band. Such poor quality is not Apple worthy. What you won't call 'defective' I simply call subpar quality. But whatever you call it: A product this 'subpar' should be exchanged.
But I am starting to repeat myself here. I am not in the habit of starting a pointless 'yes - no' conversation. Agree to disagree. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: TheBMacAttack

TheBMacAttack

Suspended
Jul 17, 2024
I don't argue it is defective. I argue that you are talking semantics. As I already said a $99 strap should not wear and tear (under normal use) after a couple of months. I have cheap watches with cheap $10 straps that are still holding up fine after a couple of years. You can give me examples about shoes wearing an tearing all you want, but that does not change the fact that this (under normal use) this should not happen to a $99 Apple band. Such poor quality is not Apple worthy. What you won't call 'defective' I simply call subpar quality. But I am starting to repeat myself here. I am not starting a pointless 'yes - no' conversation here. Agree to disagree. Have a nice day.
You have no argument, so you leave. That tracks. Like I said, we haven't seen any pictures. You saying its poor quality, you actually have no idea what the wear and tear look like. OP described it to make it sound bad, but there sure isn't any evidence to back that up. Also you are just assuming it was normal wear everyday, but you don't know what kinds of things were done while wearing the band.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
You have no argument, so you leave. That tracks. Like I said, we haven't seen any pictures. You saying its poor quality, you actually have no idea what the wear and tear look like. OP described it to make it sound bad, but there sure isn't any evidence to back that up. Also you are just assuming it was normal wear everyday, but you don't know what kinds of things were done while wearing the band.

I gave you my arguments twice. That you don't recognize them is on you. I am not going to repeat myself for a third time. I always start assuming someone (the OP) is speaking the truth until proven otherwise. You start with assuming the OP is untruthful. Nuf said. We are too far apart, so now I am really done.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.