Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Perfect. I’m sure with apple, google and meta your data has never left their servers ever.
I sure wish that to be true. I entered apple’s ecosystem 2009, they started selling adds 2016 like everyone else. If I don’t give Apple consent to abuse my private information I would like them to respect that.

when a user visited the App Store, identifiers used for several purposes, including personalization of ads on the App Store, were by default automatically read on the terminal without obtaining consent

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I sure wish that to be true. I entered apple’s ecosystem 2009, they started selling adds 2016 like everyone else, I modified my device and blocking all such data traffic and adbloking on a root level.
I don’t care if they are selling ads. I care if my data is being strewn around the internet. And as I said above google and meta have strewn your data around the internet.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
I don’t care if they are selling ads. I care if my data is being strewn around the internet. And as I said above google and meta have strewn your data around the internet.
Well they seem to be doing it exactly the same way as Google and meta. They sell ads-pace. The data never leaves their servers intentionally.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
I can’t verify if apple is “doing it” the same as google or meta. All I know is both have had made business (in the past) to throw your data to the internet.
Well I hope you’re right. But I’m skeptical and don’t trust a company who is earning money by selling my data, especially in their growing business segment when everything else seems to stagnate.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Well I hope you’re right. But I’m skeptical and don’t trust a company who is earning money by selling my data, especially in their growing business segment when everything else seems to stagnate.
Apple's "ads" are where it sells positions in App Store search results based on keywords. These are not personalized ads that use your personal data.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Google makes money from any ads shown on its browser, so it is monetized. The reason they provide so many excellent services for free (Google Chrome, Google Docs, Google Drive, etc.) is to build trust and loyalty with consumers. Over time, consumers will always go for a Google product, if given the option. They are just familiar with it and trust the brand. It's actually a brilliant marketing strategy.
I use none of googles services because they are terrible.

I even finally gave up google fi for my phone company. I rather pay more for international usage on another carrier than have my data or usage anywhere near google.

I begrudgingly accept google in spotlight though in for the most part have trained myself to start using bing.

I’m glad my brothers school even went against the trend of using chromebooks and google services for the schools in this area. They all use surface devices

• Love
Reactions: Sophisticatednut

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
I use none of googles services because they are terrible.

I even finally gave up google fi for my phone company. I rather pay more for international usage on another carrier than have my data or usage anywhere near google.

I begrudgingly accept google in spotlight though in for the most part have trained myself to start using bing.

I’m glad my brothers school even went against the trend of using chromebooks and google services for the schools in this area. They all use surface devices
I am sure Bing does not collect and show ads and I am quite sure that is also the case in regards to the Surface devices.

Everybody has a right to live in their own bubbles, I guess. :)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am sure Bing does not collect and show ads and I am quite sure that is also the case in regards to the Surface devices.

Correct. Everybody has to drink the poison they find the best of the worse. You pick it.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC

I’ve never said bing is perfect. But no other company is as shady as google is aside from meta. At least meta is pretty transparent with their actions.

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.