Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

1200px_Tiktok_logo.jpg-250x250.jpg
Apple has expressed interest in purchasing video-sharing social media platform TikTok, according to a newsletter snippet from Axios' Dan Primack:
Multiple sources tell me that Apple has expressed interest, albeit no sources inside of Apple, and that at least one other strategic has expressed interest. Yes, it would be an unusual deal for Apple, given that TikTok is a cross-platform app, and a bigger political headache than Tim Cook may want (both here and in China). But if anyone has the cash on hand...
In a follow-up tweet, Primack described Apple's interest as "serious."

U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday said that he would shut down TikTok in the United States unless it finds an American buyer by September 15. Trump has also indicated that the U.S. Treasury should receive a "substantial amount of money" from the proposed sale, although there is some confusion as to what he exactly means by those comments.

Earlier this week, Microsoft announced that it is "prepared to continue discussions to explore a purchase of TikTok in the United States."

Update - 7:57 a.m.: Axios has updated its report to note that "an Apple spokesperson tells Axios that there are no discussions about buying TikTok and the company isn't interested."

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Has Reportedly Expressed 'Serious Interest' in Purchasing TikTok [Denied]

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Apple would then kill off the android version of the app just as they did with that weather app. Very clever Apple.;)

miflgr92

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2018
I'm past the age range for TikTok so I couldn't care less what happens to it.

Now if Apple could create a social media network that is 1) focused on user privacy 2) good enough to get people to switch from Facebook/Instagram, I'd be the first to sign up.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
this would actually be pretty good purchase, i myself not a fan of tiktok but my fiancee and a number of female friends i have mainly use tiktok and sometimes instagram. tik tok itself, i find they have a very creative team that pushes out new challenges and keep the app content fresh.

• Haha
Reactions: decypher44

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I don't think it's possible for it to be any worse than Ping was.

I'm not sure how Apple intends to make money off of it though if they're not selling data. Maybe Apple wants to somehow advertise Apple TV+, Apple Music, and Apple Arcade through it?

Reactions: gridlocked

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I'm past the age range for TikTok so I couldn't care less what happens to it.

Now if Apple could create a social media network that is 1) focused on user privacy 2) good enough to get people to switch from Facebook/Instagram, I'd be the first to sign up.

honestly I’d ignore any new attempt by Apple to create a social network. It’s doa.

Reactions: decypher44

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Sometimes I remember how old people on Macrumors are based on the comments here. Apple buying this app would be a smart decision, and if you don't realize that, it's time to educate yourself:

Tik Tok's influence on culture is unmatched at the moment; I see it beating Instagram in the near future. Also, there is much more on the app than influencer/rose-coloured glasses moments of content, which is what a lot of people appealing about it. (If you don't know, the app curates content based on stuff you interact with. For example, if you like art, it'll show videos/tutorials/etc of art.) Tik Tok, on the right hands, would be fun, educating and revolutionary.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I don't see how it would be an "unusual" deal for Apple. I'd assume any purchaser, whether that's Microsoft or otherwise, would allow Tik Tok to continue to function as a seperate entity, e.g. no merger or dissolution would happen. They'd take ownership of the company, just as ByteDance owns Tik Tok now, but other than that Tik Tok would continue to do its own thing.

Famous last words though, given US tech monopolies.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Suddenly my thread on Apple killing Facebook doesn’t seem so far out.

Facebook has managed to avert death by acquiring their emerging competition. Instagram has become such a crucial part of the company, ahead of Facebook itself. Had Zuckerberg not acquired IG, it would’ve ended the company. They did the same with WhatsApp but will have no such luck with TikTok if Apple or Microsoft gets it first.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I don't see how it would be an "unusual" deal for Apple. I'd assume any purchaser, whether that's Microsoft or otherwise, would allow Tik Tok to continue to function as a seperate entity, e.g. no merger or dissolution would happen. They'd take ownership of the company, just as ByteDance owns Tik Tok now, but other than that Tik Tok would continue to do its own thing.

Famous last words though, given US tech monopolies.

Apple is pretty hands-on - if they buy it, I would expect more of a beats situation. First thing they’d do is mandate new privacy policies, sanitize the back-end infrastructure, etc. Then they’d start building hooks into iOS, to make iphones the best platform for viewing/posting stuff. They’d integrate it into the Apple TV app on Apple TV’s, etc. They’d continue to support other platforms, but I don’t think they’d be “hands off” at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.