Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
With the accelerating power of AI, when are Apple going to revamp the health app into a more cohesive experience for the user?

The amount of info the watch now collects is rather impressive but all the information that is imported into Health could be used and presented in a much more cohesive way.

At the moment it is rather disparate and frustrating.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
With the accelerating power of AI, when are Apple going to revamp the health app into a more cohesive experience for the user?

The amount of info the watch now collects is rather impressive but all the information that is imported into Health could be used and presented in a much more cohesive way.

At the moment it is rather disparate and frustrating.

you are right.

here is why i think this is happening.

1 for apple to actually sell its Watch is various markets around the world, it needs to get approval for its marketing claims as it relates to health.
all markets regulate what can be claimed and the standards for allowing these marketing claims varies by market.

2 then, even within the USA, there is a distinction between what degree of claim can actually be made.
this is why apple in the USA almost always makes explicit that the data is not intended for any medical purpose.

3 Health app is a repository of data. even for indicating trend data the Health app never makes any prediction or explicit indication of health. as far as im aware, the only "advice" from the health app is to let you know that there is a new trend worth noting.

i thought, as you, that apple could go a lot further in putting together the various pieces of data its is collecting, it could put together two or more data points and make some more specific level of "mentioning" some positive or negative tend and surmising a recommendation for me. but it doesn't do that.

however, in this Watch forum, i became aware of some 3rd party apps that do this kind of "recommending".
so i downloaded two of them, and was shocked by how specific they were, like telling me the pace that i should be running and walking and length of run, etc etc (probably using vso2 max data etc); when i should be taking rest days, etc.
but i realised that it is my own self who knows my body better than any app.
the app doesn't feel any pain i have. only i can do that. the Watch doesn't know the road/trail condition im running on.
i deleted those apps. i dont use them now.

so, im left with what i think apple can and should do, which is make Health into a more easily usable app for us. it can get a lot better to make it more user friendly.
i subscribe to (and a big user of the Withings equipment) the Withings health app. that app puts together all the data (especially if you subscribe to the pricey Withings + feature).
i want apple's Health app to more visually appealing; more frequently changing/uddated health related articles; and easier layout to find things quickly.

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
IMHO Apple will not change much about Health app.
If you want your data presented in a better way you should buy apps that do that.
That´s their philosophy.

Reactions: kitKAC

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
here is why i think this is happening.

1 for apple to actually sell its Watch is various markets around the world, it needs to get approval for its marketing claims as it relates to health.
all markets regulate what can be claimed and the standards for allowing these marketing claims varies by market.

2 then, even within the USA, there is a distinction between what degree of claim can actually be made.
this is why apple in the USA almost always makes explicit that the data is not intended for any medical purpose.

3 Health app is a repository of data. even for indicating trend data the Health app never makes any prediction or explicit indication of health. as far as im aware, the only "advice" from the health app is to let you know that there is a new trend worth noting.

So much this. Add 4: people will love to sue when the health app is wrong with their assessment, so why expose the company to this?

Example: the woman that cuts my hair has been experiencing some cardiac issues for a while. Her cardiologist told her to not use Apple Watch or anything else with ECG features as her condition(s) will result in misleading data (aka flag false problems). By coincidence, I have the same cardiologist and he recommended to me to use ECG features. Right tool for the job for me, totally wrong for her, how does an AI app safely know what's what?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
So much this. Add 4: people will love to sue when the health app is wrong with their assessment, so why expose the company to this?

Example: the woman that cuts my hair has been experiencing some cardiac issues for a while. Her cardiologist told her to not use Apple Watch or anything else with ECG features as her condition(s) will result in misleading data (aka flag false problems). By coincidence, I have the same cardiologist and he recommended to me to use ECG features. Right tool for the job for me, totally wrong for her, how does an AI app safely know what's what?
AI is never wrong…
/s

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Sure, the data that is collected thru AW could be displayed more meaningful, or not.
But as pointed out by @NoBoMac poease leave AI out of this…
I’ve had AW since late 2015 and none of my doctors ever cared to look at the data.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
I am more interested in improving fitness and wellbeing rather than flagging up potential ailments but whatever they come up with I’m sure it would come with a MASSIVE DISCLAIMER.

srknpower

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
Apple should utilize wrist temperature sensor for training zones and oxygen sensor gor sleep apnea detection in the future.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I basically do not use my Apple Watch for health monitoring, instead I use it to unlock my MacBook Pro so I do not have to enter password, being able to answer phone calls when out walking my dog and don't want to concentrate on holding the phone while we are walking, and to respond to text messages without needing the phone while chilling on the couch. Plus it is an Apple product so it fits in with the rest of my strictly apple equipment.

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Apple should utilize wrist temperature sensor for training zones and oxygen sensor gor sleep apnea detection in the future.
Can you share information on wrist-temperature based training? What sports is that for?

It's sort of mentioned above, but to the OP and other interested parties, you can emulate the Garmin metrics via 3rd party apps on your Apple Watch. There are a # that have pretty strong followings.

As one such example, Garmin has a pretty well built out Training Load metric section in Connect. HealthFit provides nearly all of this information in its app and the underlying math is the same Chronic vs Acute training load stuff, more or less, that's been around a while.

srknpower

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
Can you share information on wrist-temperature based training? What sports is that for?

It's sort of mentioned above, but to the OP and other interested parties, you can emulate the Garmin metrics via 3rd party apps on your Apple Watch. There are a # that have pretty strong followings.

As one such example, Garmin has a pretty well built out Training Load metric section in Connect. HealthFit provides nearly all of this information in its app and the underlying math is the same Chronic vs Acute training load stuff, more or less, that's been around a while.
Here, is information about Temperature Zones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.