Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
No I mean do you actually need a 6m or even 3m cable? I think it would be nice to include a 2m cable with the iPad Pro, but I really do think 3m+ is way overkill.

3m/10ft is really convenient when you’re at a hotel and only carry a smaller wall charger. I use the same cable for my laptop, too. Hence, the cable needs to be long enough to reach the couch/bed when I’m using the laptop.

I actually have one 15ft USB-C cable as well but that I stopped bringing that one as I find 10ft is long enough.

Reactions: Capt T and sparksd

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
3m/10ft is really convenient when you’re at a hotel and only carry a smaller wall charger. I use the same cable for my laptop, too. Hence, the cable needs to be long enough to reach the couch/bed when I’m using the laptop.

I actually have one 15ft USB-C cable as well but that I stopped bringing that one as I find 10ft is long enough.
Yeah there are definitely use cases for a 3m cable, I just think a 3m cable in the iPad box shouldn't be an expectation.

I have a similar problem in hotels, but what I do is buy an extension cord instead e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Waterproof-2-Prong-Female-Outlet/dp/B07SS3S4KN?th=1 (I don't use this - this is just as an example)

I think that's more versatile since it allows me to use a wall charger with more USB-C ports to charge multiple devices, but will concede it's more bulky than just a smaller wall charger.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah there are definitely use cases for a 3m cable, I just think a 3m cable in the iPad box shouldn't be an expectation.

True. Still, 1m is a bit too short. I’d like to see them put in 2m. Iirc, my M1 MacBook Air shipped with a 2m cable. I think that should be standard across iPhones and iPads as well.

I have a similar problem in hotels, but what I do is buy an extension cord instead e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Waterproof-2-Prong-Female-Outlet/dp/B07SS3S4KN?th=1 (I don't use this - this is just as an example)

I think that's more versatile since it allows me to use a wall charger with more USB-C ports to charge multiple devices, but will concede it's more bulky than just a smaller wall charger.

I bought these for travel but I always forget to carry them.

One of the travel chargers I carry is a RAVPower branded version of this. A lot of times though, I still find 6ft cables a bit too short when paired with this.

Reactions: masotime

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Interesting to see how different the use cases of different people are.
I would actually prefer a shorter cable (0.5m) with USB-C to C or Lightning…still have this old USB-A cable and love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.