Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebosz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Poland
What the heck? Two months ago I was frustrated by the fact that I couldn’t do anything to update my Series 3 Watch. I had to erease everything and then it finally updated. Since then it spent all this time on the charger. I didn’t restore the backup, didn’t set anything up, it was just erased and updated because I knew new watchOS was coming and that I’d have to do that again.
Imagine how furious I am right now when I found out that, once again, I can’t update my watch because it doesn’t have enough space! What? How?! I’m seriously done with this thing. And at this point I’m not sure if erasing will help anymore.
FEFA637B-A345-4219-B260-EA671B7A744E.jpeg
F00E34FB-7E7B-4975-AEC7-09709FF8DEBC.png

E9B6C512-5E70-4C75-A348-6E408533EF04.jpeg

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
What the heck? Two months ago I was frustrated by the fact that I couldn’t do anything to update my Series 3 Watch. I had to erease everything and then it finally updated. Since then it spent all this time on the charger. I didn’t restore the backup, didn’t set anything up, it was just erased and updated because I knew new watchOS was coming and that I’d have to do that again.
Imagine how furious I am right now when I found out that, once again, I can’t update my watch because it doesn’t have enough space! What? How?! I’m seriously done with this thing. And at this point I’m not sure if erasing will help anymore.

You were so ready!

The simplest way to update is to use the iwatch app on your phone and unpair the phone. When you go to pair it up again, it should update to the latest firmware.

It doesn't necessarily make sense, but it works.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Same situation with my S3 watch… if it keeps on I’ll not bother and it can sit in a drawer, I barely use it for much more than a Watch anyway.

jskaemkss

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Imagine how furious I am right now when I found out that, once again, I can’t update my watch because it doesn’t have enough space! What? How?! I’m seriously done with this thing. And at this point I’m not sure if erasing will help anymore. View attachment 1764468 View attachment 1764469
View attachment 1764472
I have had the same issue with every watch update. I have tried removing everything and that still does not work have to factory reset it and by the time I do that it’s powe is depleted enough that I have to charge it again before updating. Even small suplemental updates I have to do this then the pain of reconfiguring everything include Apple pay. It really is disappointing they have not made this simpler for us to update

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Ran into same issues with my 3. Spent a good part of the afternoon getting it to load.

My Usage numbers match pretty close to OP's, with more apps (4 vs 0) but only 2.2MB for Photos. 1.3GB being used.

What messed me up on one attempt was that Music had the "Automatically Add" option turned on after a wipe. Filled up the watch with songs while trying to download the update (and yes, not seeing that with OP's screenshot).

And even once that was fixed, still got a couple of not-enough-space messages.

Last couple minor updates went smoothly, was hoping not to jump through the wipe & load steps again.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Ran into same issues with my 3. Spent a good part of the afternoon getting it to load.

My Usage numbers match pretty close to OP's, with more apps (4 vs 0) but only 2.2MB for Photos. 1.3GB being used.

What messed me up on one attempt was that Music had the "Automatically Add" option turned on after a wipe. Filled up the watch with songs while trying to download the update (and yes, not seeing that with OP's screenshot).

And even once that was fixed, still got a couple of not-enough-space messages.

Last couple minor updates went smoothly, was hoping not to jump through the wipe & load steps again.

That is so weird.

Why did I not have any problems ?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm still using my S3 from Sept 2017, and I am continually SHOCKED that Apple still thinks it's fit for sale.

I have the 12GB cellular model, so I haven't run into this issue specifically. Nonetheless, I have to erase & reinstall so frequently I don't even bother arranging icons, changing settings, or installing apps anymore. ?‍♂️

Kevincjz

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2018
Yup I just had to rest mine to factory before attempting to update this morning...

Reactions: max2

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It’s crazy. I contemplated a Series 3 just recently as my first Apple Watch. But thankfully I heard about some of the pain from the storage.

It should not be on sale. I really hope Apple is simply burning through old stock and not still producing these.

Reactions: Sebosz and max2

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
I am also getting this on mine - which is why I joined the forum.

Even after unpairing it still took a bit of fiddling around to get it to update - it has just clicked as updated, 4 hours after I started. Now I have to try and restore my backup...

I don't think I will be closing my stand ring today!

Reactions: max2 and Sebosz

Icehawk

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
I'm lost.
Was just coming look to see if anyone else was having this problem again. I did the whole unpair thing and it’s still not enough. Frustrating. I guess I’ll try again tonight.

what’s even more annoying to me is I have to find and disable Siri data sources every time I do this. The backup don’t store that. Otherwise I’ll get stocks and stuff showing up on the Siri face.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

wim.v

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Like someone said before in this thread, Unpairing the watch clears up space.

Icehawk

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2008
I'm lost.
Check music, y’all. Unpairing turned back on adding recent music to my watch, taking up 2 gigs. Hopefully turning that off let’s me update….

jiffry1017

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
Does unpairing the watch = resetting and erasing it?

also is there a faster way to download the update to the watch? Mine says it’s like about 15 hours remaining.

Reactions: PaulMoore
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.