Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
The so called 'AutoBoot feature' is really annoying. I need to be able to disinfect the keyboard on a regular basis and this is not possible when the M1 machine keeps booting as soon as any key is touched. I have noticed at setting in the nvram called 'AutoBoot' being set as 'true'. From previous post both here and elsewhere I understand that this setting control the AutoBoot feature and on older machines (before M1) it was possible to switch off the autoboot feature by issuing the command 'nvram AutoBoot=%00'. But apparently this will not work on the M1 machines. I can still issue the command but it has no effect. I have taken this up with Apple Support, but Apple Support refuses to give any advise on how to manipulate the configuration through the use of commands in terminal🤬
I have a strong feeling that it should still be possible to change the AutoBoot setting in nvram but I need some advise as to exactly how. I even tried using the security settings (holding the start button for a few seconds at start) but no luck so far.
Any advise on this will be appreciated.
Careful with playing around with nvram on an M1 Mac. I was trying to find the same thing you are and I managed to make my Mac only boot into recovery. I was able to issue an nvram reset command from the recovery terminal command line. I think it was nvram -c but it was nerve wracking.

ThemePro

macrumors demi-god
May 1, 2010
The so called 'AutoBoot feature' is really annoying. I need to be able to disinfect the keyboard on a regular basis and this is not possible when the M1 machine keeps booting as soon as any key is touched...
I found a little utility called Keyboard Cleaner Lock; probably more than one out there. Sad that we need such a thing.

gladyspng

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2021
Hello guys

I recently bought the new MacBook Pro With the M1 chip.
During use I noticed when I put it in its sleeve after switching the device off, it automatically boots up. I really don't understand how this is possible. As soon as it is halfway inside the sleeve you immediately hear the start-up sound and it boots into the operating system.

Afterwards I tried to disable automatic booting via the command sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00 but this just doesn't seem to work.
Even for opening the lid this does not work it always just starts up (on key press, on opening lid and on putting in it's sleeve)
Is this a problem or bug because it is the M1 model or because macOS BigSur needs a new command line to change this ?
Ever since why does this device start up when you put it in a sleeve, this can't be right how does it even know it's being placed inside it's sleeve.

I hope I am not the only one with this strange behaviour.

Added an image with the sleeve displayed it has a small magnetic part to use it like a stand (like the iPad smart case)
(I had no issues with the magnetic part on the back when I used it with my old MacBook Pro)

Best regards

Update: 30/11/2020
The cause of this behavior must be due to magnetic contact (all the way left and right of the screen at the back). It seems that when the screen detects this, it thinks the lid is opening when it is not. This interrupts the sleep function and starts the MacBook automatically when it is off. The command line to shut down AutoBoot doesn't seem to work on the M1 model either. The only solution I have is to buy a new case or sleeve and stay away from the back of the screen with all that is magnetic.
Thanks for the help there! I am now facing this current issue as well.

Bought a magnetic laptop sleeve (mainly for the standee feature) and whenever I placed it in, it boots up and it's extremely frustrating! And it only happens just today.

Was about to return my laptop to Apple, luckily I saw this thread :)

Hopefully we're able to disable the autoboot feature real soon.

Reactions: jsoto

jsoto

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Chicago
Thanks for the help there! I am now facing this current issue as well.

Bought a magnetic laptop sleeve (mainly for the standee feature) and whenever I placed it in, it boots up and it's extremely frustrating! And it only happens just today.

Was about to return my laptop to Apple, luckily I saw this thread :)

Hopefully we're able to disable the autoboot feature real soon.
Same issue here. Thanks for this thread. Saved me a trip to Apple. Will have to buy a new sleeve, which is a shame I liked the one I had with magnets to close the sleeve.

youcabo

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2021
Hello guys

I recently bought the new MacBook Pro With the M1 chip.
During use I noticed when I put it in its sleeve after switching the device off, it automatically boots up. I really don't understand how this is possible. As soon as it is halfway inside the sleeve you immediately hear the start-up sound and it boots into the operating system.

Afterwards I tried to disable automatic booting via the command sudo nvram AutoBoot=%00 but this just doesn't seem to work.
Even for opening the lid this does not work it always just starts up (on key press, on opening lid and on putting in it's sleeve)
Is this a problem or bug because it is the M1 model or because macOS BigSur needs a new command line to change this ?
Ever since why does this device start up when you put it in a sleeve, this can't be right how does it even know it's being placed inside it's sleeve.

I hope I am not the only one with this strange behaviour.

Added an image with the sleeve displayed it has a small magnetic part to use it like a stand (like the iPad smart case)
(I had no issues with the magnetic part on the back when I used it with my old MacBook Pro)

Best regards

Update: 30/11/2020
The cause of this behavior must be due to magnetic contact (all the way left and right of the screen at the back). It seems that when the screen detects this, it thinks the lid is opening when it is not. This interrupts the sleep function and starts the MacBook automatically when it is off. The command line to shut down AutoBoot doesn't seem to work on the M1 model either. The only solution I have is to buy a new case or sleeve and stay away from the back of the screen with all that is magnetic.
Yes, same happened to me twice, after I bought an OSMO 4 and decided to carry it in the same case as my MBP, since the phone holder is magnetic, so my laptop was burning hot when got it out of the suitcase because it interfered with the magnetic lid sensor, keeping the osmo out of the case was the solution.

Shahrul_nizam

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
Yes it does happen to my Macbook Pro M1 as well! It’s probably due to the magnetic flap on case! Even if i got my macbook switch off , it will switch on when my macbook gets close to the flap! Definitely changing my laptop carrier! I think zipped case should be fine and this issue will not occur! Thank goodness I wasnt alone facing this issue! Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.