Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJcaP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Purchased a new Apple Watch recently and noticed that Apple Music wasn't showing my library on the watch and said "No Music - Music you add to your library or purchase from the iTunes Store will appear here." Even though I have Apple Music and it works ok on all my other devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad). I tried downloading music to my Watch but it fails quietly after about a few seconds.

Done everything under the sun (unpair, sign out of Apple Music on my phone, sign in to my Apple ID on the watch)- nothing seems to work.

I'm guessing it's an error on Apple's part?

I noticed there was this thread on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/1auckoj and haven't seen one here.

Checking here to see if anyone over here is experiencing the issue and if they solved it.

Follow up: I can stream music through the Home tab and I can see all the normal recommendations and stuff from that tab, but my Library isn't as fortunate.

Last edited:

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I don't have an Apple Music subscription so I can't speak to that, but I can say that downloading music to the watch is done while it is on the charger. It's been a while for me, but I think it usually happens overnight for me (at least the first big download).
Once you've selected the music you want to download (there is a cap IIRC of 1/4 of your watch's storage space that you can only bypass it you only download one playlist), then everything else shows up as streamable (playlists, artists, etc).

iJcaP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I don't have an Apple Music subscription so I can't speak to that, but I can say that downloading music to the watch is done while it is on the charger. It's been a while for me, but I think it usually happens overnight for me (at least the first big download).
Once you've selected the music you want to download (there is a cap IIRC of 1/4 of your watch's storage space that you can only bypass it you only download one playlist), then everything else shows up as streamable (playlists, artists, etc).
I know as of watchOS 9 you don’t need to be connected to the charger (if you're ok losing battery quickly), but aside from the download issue I think one if the main problems here is that my library is missing from the watch. Like it appears as if I never added music to my library. So even though I’m not able to download to my watch, I can’t even stream what I have added to my library say on Wi-Fi or on cellular when I’m not near my phone- something I was able to do just days ago on my old watch. I can go on the Home tab and stream whatever Apple served up there, or search for things manually, but it’s kind of odd that my library is just empty.

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
It’s a while I ended my free 6-month Apple Music trial but if I remember right my downloads were ok. Now I have just few out-of-copyright records saved on AM on AW (a metronome and that’s all). I have a Spotify subscription, the last time I tried to download music to my watch it worked awfully.

iJcaP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Update: fixed by turning off my phone and watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.