Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickyCMC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I try to download a song I have in my Apple Music library so I can listen to it on a flight and it won’t download. The circle just sits there and spins and doesn’t do anything. Any ideas?

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
I do not think that Apple Music songs can be downloaded. Only the ones that you purchase form the download part of the iTunes Store can.

RickyCMC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I do not think that Apple Music songs can be downloaded. Only the ones that you purchase form the download part of the iTunes Store can.
Not true I used to download them all the time. If you can’t download them why would there be a download option?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, definitely downloadable.

So just one song is doing this, is that right? Or any song you've tried?

Up to date? Restarted?

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I try to download a song I have in my Apple Music library so I can listen to it on a flight and it won’t download. The circle just sits there and spins and doesn’t do anything. Any ideas?

I've had this before. For me, it was cured by removing the Music app, signing out of Apple ID, then back in, then re-installing Music.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
The whole system is seriously broken. I have a very long playlist, the first song of which is No Woman, No Cry by Bob Marley. It plays fine, but I've been trying to download it for days. No joy. Suddenly, and just now, I was able to download it.

Another song on the playlist is Don't Think Twice by Susan Tedeschi. It won't play from the playlist, but if I search for Susan Tedeschi it will display her songs and I will be able to play it from there.

IMG_7589.jpeg

So, not available in my country (Thailand) when played from a playlist but very available when played from a search. Does that make any sense?

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
You have to understand the total crapola mess music publishing (playing) rights are. If the holder of the copyright/publishing rights in the US has not "published" a song it cannot be played on a US streaming service. The internet being what it is you can always find it somewhere. Sometimes you can find song/album on iTunes but most of the time what I do is go to Discogs and purchase the CD. You can often find them on Amazon at outrageous prices if the CD is out of print. Discogs is your best choice. If you have the CD Apple Music will transcribe it to Apple Lossless for you and catalog it in your Apple Music. Another thing to do is load the App Equalize Pro, have used this App for almost 10 years. I allows you to directly load music tracks to your device. I have about 70 GB's of music loaded into it in my iPhone. With this loaded it does not matter if you have any external connections you have your music. The player also enables OGG playback.

IMG_0001.png

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Discogs is a real treasure if you are looking for a specific release that is out of print, or CD's not available stateside. I just opened it for the first time on my iPad and it is not sized for the screen it is designed for the iPhone. This makes since because the app incorporates a barcode scanner so you scan the barcodes of Album in thrift stores. You can sometime find LP's that are worth a lot of money.

IMG_0002.png

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
You have to understand the total crapola mess music publishing (playing) rights are.
The entertainment industry did this to themselves with ridiculous measures like DVD Region Codes. All they did was encourage piracy and ways of circumventing the codes (thanks Apple).

My mantra has always been that I'm happy to pay for my entertainment, but if you won't let me buy it I'll get it another way.

Reactions: transmaster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.