Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
Yep, disappeared in NZ from all devices (iOS, iPadOS, macOS). For anyone running iOS 17.5 beta, do you still see the widget in those counties affected?

I first noticed it on my 14 Pro Max running the latest beta of 17.5. So I thought at first it was a beta related issue.
Afterwards, I realized, that it also disapeared from my devices running 17.4.1 and even my good old iPhone X running iOS 16.7.7. So it is definetely not iOS-Version related!

UliBaer

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
I think it will stay missing, until Apple surprises us with the new - incredible, amazing, unbelievable, magical, "insert other dumb superlatives here" - news subscription...

• Haha
Reactions: Cobold

NicHub

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
Confirming (again) the sudden disappearance of the widget in Switzerland. The app itself was never proposed here, I was happily surprised the widget worked for a few years.

Note that, unlike the News app which offers a kind of news reading environment, the widget was just proposing links which open the destination on the target news organisation, so there should be no copyright problem. To the contrary: the Apple News widget is increasing the traffic on their sites.

As a former journalist (and news buff), I was disappointed of never having had the News app (which should be included in the Apple One bundle I am paying for!), but I totally understand the media allergy to anyone (=Silicon Valley) deviating their traffic and/or stealing their content (looking at you, AI companies!).

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Confirming (again) the sudden disappearance of the widget in Switzerland. The app itself was never proposed here, I was happily surprised the widget worked for a few years.

Note that, unlike the News app which offers a kind of news reading environment, the widget was just proposing links which open the destination on the target news organisation, so there should be no copyright problem. To the contrary: the Apple News widget is increasing the traffic on their sites.

As a former journalist (and news buff), I was disappointed of never having had the News app (which should be included in the Apple One bundle I am paying for!), but I totally understand the media allergy to anyone (=Silicon Valley) deviating their traffic and/or stealing their content (looking at you, AI companies!).

Apple News widget served as news aggregator, collecting stuff from local news sources. If I am not mistaken, Apple acquired some or all of the code from it from a young developer about 10 years ago.

Still no idea why it has been removed, though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.