Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Yes, that is a given and not a problem. I certainly don't want to buy stolen property. My worry (and maybe I am too cautious) is what if the now well known icloud problem appears, where it gets locked to an unknown apple-id after a reset or the likes in the future. Will in that case the case be enough for Apple to unlock it or not...

This "locked to an unknown Apple ID" thing is not a "well-known iCloud problem." It's being claimed here, in this thread and others like it, but you won't find it in media coverage (Mac Rumors would certainly have a raft of articles regarding such a bug, if it existed). It's very much like alien invaders as an explanation for unusual lights in the sky - it's a convenient explanation for an unexplained phenomenon that some find to be emotionally satisfying.

Like a typical UFO sighting, one can cite real-world conditions/human behavior that can explain what happened. It doesn't mean that those real-world conditions/human behavior were actually the cause, it's just that, in the absence of physical proof of sentient visitations from another planet, human behavior seems far more likely - there's no shortage of misbehaving humans.

It's easy to imagine that someone in a phone store took a replacement phone out of its box, began to set it up for someone, then put it back on the shelf because something was wrong ("Oh, this should have been a 64GB instead of a 16GB!"). Maybe they got busy or sloppy, and forgot to sign out of Find My iPhone. Another worker grabs the box, hands it to another customer, "Here, you can set this up when you get home," and rushes off to lunch.

It's also easy to imagine that a child let another kid handle the iPhone ("Oooh! Let me see it!"). The "friend" signs in with his/her account (or maybe the account of another "friend"), then accidentally (or maliciously) fails to remove it from Find My iPhone when the first child said, "Put it back the way it was!" The problem doesn't come to light until months later, after the original incident is all but forgotten (and certainly wouldn't be admitted to, if it was remembered).

I could keep spinning scenarios, but I think you catch my drift.

There's no credible reporting of iPhones that simply latch onto an unknown Apple ID that's somehow floating around in the ether. If the masses can't manage to sign into iCloud or iTunes without the right password, how does it happen spontaneously? Why would it happen only for Activation Lock, what about contacts, calendars, email, text messages?

My advice? Don't worry about this spontaneous Apple ID "bug." Worry about a dishonest seller. There are few, if any, effective ways to ensure that a used phone shipped to you in the mail will be what the seller advertised. Maybe it'd be Activation Locked. Maybe the screen will be cracked, or it'll be 16GB instead of 64GB. Maybe the "small scratch" turns out to be a major gouge. Lots of ways you can get something other than advertised, and the chances of getting your money back may be limited or zero. Now, certain marketplaces may certify the sellers, or the seller is a reputable business. But outside of that, the only way I would buy a used iPhone would be if I could hold it in my hands in the presence of the seller, and thoroughly check it out before forking over the dough.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
OP. All you have to do is get the original receipt from the seller. Which you said you are in contact with. They have a digital receipt guaranteed. It's that easy. That's the only way to fix this.

Seriously smelling like a troll with a stolen phone trying to weed out information from a crowd that knows Apple.
Wow, two full pages of comments before someone wised up to the trick being played here – even after being given the answer to the problem, dude was still trying to find a way around the checks Apple has in place to keep these sort of shenanigans from happening.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This "locked to an unknown Apple ID" thing is not a "well-known iCloud problem." It's being claimed here, in this thread and others like it, but you won't find it in media coverage (Mac Rumors would certainly have a raft of articles regarding such a bug, if it existed). It's very much like alien invaders as an explanation for unusual lights in the sky - it's a convenient explanation for an unexplained phenomenon that some find to be emotionally satisfying.

Like a typical UFO sighting, one can cite real-world conditions/human behavior that can explain what happened. It doesn't mean that those real-world conditions/human behavior were actually the cause, it's just that, in the absence of physical proof of sentient visitations from another planet, human behavior seems far more likely - there's no shortage of misbehaving humans.

It's easy to imagine that someone in a phone store took a replacement phone out of its box, began to set it up for someone, then put it back on the shelf because something was wrong ("Oh, this should have been a 64GB instead of a 16GB!"). Maybe they got busy or sloppy, and forgot to sign out of Find My iPhone. Another worker grabs the box, hands it to another customer, "Here, you can set this up when you get home," and rushes off to lunch.

It's also easy to imagine that a child let another kid handle the iPhone ("Oooh! Let me see it!"). The "friend" signs in with his/her account (or maybe the account of another "friend"), then accidentally (or maliciously) fails to remove it from Find My iPhone when the first child said, "Put it back the way it was!" The problem doesn't come to light until months later, after the original incident is all but forgotten (and certainly wouldn't be admitted to, if it was remembered).

There's no credible reporting of iPhones that simply latch onto an unknown Apple ID that's somehow floating around in the ether. If the masses can't manage to sign into iCloud or iTunes without the right password, how does it happen spontaneously? Why would it happen only for Activation Lock, what about contacts, calendars, email, text messages?

My advice? Don't worry about this spontaneous Apple ID "bug." Worry about a dishonest seller. There are few, if any, effective ways to ensure that a used phone shipped to you in the mail will be what the seller advertised. Maybe it'd be Activation Locked. Maybe the screen will be cracked, or it'll be 16GB instead of 64GB. Maybe the "small scratch" turns out to be a major gouge. Lots of ways you can get something other than advertised, and the chances of getting your money back may be limited or zero. Now, certain marketplaces may certify the sellers, or the seller is a reputable business. But outside of that, the only way I would buy a used iPhone would be if I could hold it in my hands in the presence of the seller, and thoroughly check it out before forking over the dough.
There are known reports of this, including articles form this site and others, like https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...tivation-locked-with-wrong-apple-ids.2004550/. And while it's something rare, it doesn't make it unreal just because of it.

Reactions: Thor_1

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Wow, two full pages of comments before someone wised up to the trick being played here – even after being given the answer to the problem, dude was still trying to find a way around the checks Apple has in place to keep these sort of shenanigans from happening.
Actually I had two other comments before but they got deleted for insulting. All I said was I hate these scumbag trolls trying to evade laws and rules.

But thanks for the notice! Haha.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Pretty much, and th stories they come up with are pretty wild.
And then they get upset when you tell them it cannot be bypassed and to go speak to Apple :D lol

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Pretty much, and th stories they come up with are pretty wild.
And then they get upset when you tell them it cannot be bypassed and to go speak to Apple :D lol

There were other people in the thread with the same problem, except they didn't buy used so they had a receipt so no big deal. Are they also lying?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
There were other people in the thread with the same problem, except they didn't buy used so they had a receipt so no big deal. Are they also lying?

Who knows.
Most of the people that show up with 0 posts and make up threads with wild stories like that about icloud activation lock are lying.
Unless you believe everything anyone posts then you can go ahead and help them out with their stolen items:D
But I forgot, you're always everything against Apple and the iPhone so its always Apples fault correct?
People wont lie right? :D

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Or he telling a partial truth in that the seller wasn't the original owner and he lied to this buyer, but I'm thinking you are right I would try running the IMEI on a site like Swappa and see what status is listed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Who knows.
Most of the people that show up with 0 posts and make up threads with wild stories like that about icloud activation lock are lying.
Unless you believe everything anyone posts then you can go ahead and help them out with their stolen items:D
But I forgot, you're always everything against Apple and the iPhone so its always Apples fault correct?
People wont lie right? :D
To be fair, while there might be a lot of cases of the type you are describing, there do appear to be at least some real cases, like for example the earlier mentioned ones at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...tivation-locked-with-wrong-apple-ids.2004550/

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium

Thanks for your comments. This 'problem' delivered a 17 page thread so there is some credibility to it I guess?!
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...tivation-locked-with-wrong-apple-ids.2004550/

Thanks for your recommendations about buying, in any case I will only do a face to face transaction.
I almost bought one some days ago and it looked all very fine, luckily before completing the transaction I hooked it up to my Mac on Coconut Battery to find that the max capacity of the battery was at 50% and the cycle count at almost 1000 (!). The seller claimed to have only used it for a bit over a year... yeah right.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

I generally give people benefit of the doubt. However, OP lost my confidence when he completely ignored the support guy's post at #26.

If I were in OP's position I would be relieved to be able to chat with anyone on the inside, in the hope that he could be the guy who could escalate to a resolution. I certainly wouldn't ignore the post altogether. Seems odd to me.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Thanks for your input, but I explained in my post that it is NOT linked to previous owner and Apple verified that in writing in Sept 2016. I understand the security features, but I have all the story, documents and explanation to show that this is not stolen. They acknowledge that it is not stolen. Then after this restore, it linked itself to some unknown account. (Not previous owner account.. we checked with them last night) Apple not accepting my receipt, they want original purchase receipt. Several Tech advisors has said they thought this was weird and it shouldn't happen, yet they won't help.
It does have to do with AppleCare in that my phone is broken and I want a replacement as I'm allowed, but Apple won't do it...

FYI I have been told by a Genius Trainer the guy who trains Geniuses is my brother in Law. And The real word is Apple deliberately uses the RESTORE Trick to fool people into RESTORING or RESETING their devices back to Original Owner State.

Even though Before that Restore as you noted it was Documented it was on YOUR Account you owned it All was Good to Good.

But as a TRick to Not honor Warranties IMO or to make it tougher for Resellers Apple usually trains Technicians Geniuses etc to do the RESTORE Method. That will Link it back to the Original Owner.

Apple has Meetings and teams of People Just Dreaming up New methods to making OWnership and Reselling More Secure and make Reselling More of a Pain.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
FYI I have been told by a Genius Trainer the guy who trains Geniuses is my brother in Law. And The real word is Apple deliberately uses the RESTORE Trick to fool people into RESTORING or RESETING their devices back to Original Owner State.

Even though Before that Restore as you noted it was Documented it was on YOUR Account you owned it All was Good to Good.

But as a TRick to Not honor Warranties IMO or to make it tougher for Resellers Apple usually trains Technicians Geniuses etc to do the RESTORE Method. That will Link it back to the Original Owner.

Apple has Meetings and teams of People Just Dreaming up New methods to making OWnership and Reselling More Secure and make Reselling More of a Pain.
Wtf is "Original Owner State"? You need to lay off the conspiracy theories.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

Lol :D
Alrighty then...

Jethrox

macrumors member
May 10, 2015
Boulder, Colorado
Back when I got my first MacBook Pro, I had AppleCare flat out refuse to honor the three-year contract that I paid for. Because, I had apparently purchased it legally through a third-party vendor . The Apple care rep told me that they were no longer honoring any of these contracts even though she acknowledged that this was a legitimate reseller. I asked to escalate the problem, and she said that there was no one else to talk to and she consider the issue closed. Keep in mind that I was still within the three-year warranty period. So, it looks like apple got paid but flat out refused to honor my contract with them.
Anybody want to chip in on a class action lawsuit? Count me in!

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Back when I got my first MacBook Pro, I had AppleCare flat out refuse to honor the three-year contract that I paid for. Because, I had apparently purchased it legally through a third-party vendor . The Apple care rep told me that they were no longer honoring any of these contracts even though she acknowledged that this was a legitimate reseller. I asked to escalate the problem, and she said that there was no one else to talk to and she consider the issue closed. Keep in mind that I was still within the three-year warranty period. So, it looks like apple got paid but flat out refused to honor my contract with them.
I honestly find this hard to believe. If you have bought Apple Care and registered it, you can see the coverage of your device online (as per the serial number) and Apple will honor it.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

That sounds like nonsense.
Off course you should have escalated higher up to the customer support service or corporate channels.
Whatever that rep told you or refused you and considered it closed you shouldn't have given up.
Trying to sue them now its harder than getting the service you deserved back then.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I wouldn't had stopped where she said "There is no one else to talk to." You could have requested to speak with someone from Corporate to investigate it further. And all
Your information is stored on file when you purchase Apple Care with that specific serial number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.