Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Janschi

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
Regardless of peoples bad experiences with their bank, what Apple is doing is the right thing to do because many many people use their bank's banking app on their iphone but yet they cannot take advantage of the iphones NFC capabilities because Apple wont allow others to use it's technology thus if I want to pay for something, I have go out of my banking app and into Apple's pay. I shouldn't have to do this. I should be allowed to use my banks banking app directly but until Apple allow banks to use it's NFC technology I will have to exit my banking app and open up Apple pay.
What are you yapping about? You're trying to tell us every single time you are at a register to pay, you have your banking app open on your phone and to switch to Wallet with a double click (which you have to do regardless to pay, even if you manually open the wallet app) is too much work?

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
For the sake of equality, I just hope banks have to offer Apple Pay too if they choose to use their own system, like the Apple Sign in system (if a dev offers Google sign in, has to offer Apple sign in too).

On Android most of the banks are on Google pay and Samsung Pay so I don’t think that would happen in iOS neither

Here in Norway the largest bank has never supported Apple Pay. When they bought one of the most innovative banks this year, they revoked Apple Pay for their cards.

The major payment solution (like Apple Cash, PayPal) outside the regular banking system, is owned by the banks!
They have just been waiting for getting access to NFC so their app will work in stores. Many banks will not support Apple Pay or will revoke support.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Regardless of peoples bad experiences with their bank, what Apple is doing is the right thing to do because many many people use their bank's banking app on their iphone but yet they cannot take advantage of the iphones NFC capabilities because Apple wont allow others to use it's technology thus if I want to pay for something, I have go out of my banking app and into Apple's pay. I shouldn't have to do this. I should be allowed to use my banks banking app directly but until Apple allow banks to use it's NFC technology I will have to exit my banking app and open up Apple pay.

Why would you use your banking app for payments when in a store?

The support should be in the VISA/Mastercard you get from the bank independent of the bank's app.

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Someone gets it right!

NFC is open on Android and yet banks don't bother to build their own app.

Paypal could work with Apple Pay if it wanted in the exact same way Curve does.

As is often noted, iPhone users are a much more valuable commodity than Android users, so it’s more likely that the banks will want to use their own app to track them and sell the data on.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Apple users tend to be among the most sought after customers and I firmly belief customers would revolt if Apple Pay stopped working suddenly - I would.

That's why they want the customers to use their payment solution instead of Apple Pay.

Here in Norway the largest bank has never supported Apple Pay and when they buy other banks they revoke Apple Pay from the banks they buy.

The banks in Norway owns the most used payment solution between C2C and C2B. One update to this app (probably with a penetration of 95% of the population above 13 years) may use this solution just like Apple Pay.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Someone gets it right!

Serious question. Not an Android guy so don’t know the details around those payment wallets.

Apple Pay uses a proxy card number and shields payment details from the banks. Does android pay also do this? Or do the banks get all the same details they would if using the card natively at a POS or when using a payment via their own app?

If not, then I can see why banks on android don’t bother making their own app. The banks want that info and will be more tempted to leave Apple Pay for their own apps if able.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Serious question. Not an Android guy so don’t know the details around those payment wallets.

Apple Pay uses a proxy card number and shields payment details from the banks. Does android pay also do this? Or do the banks get all the same details they would if using the card natively at a POS or when using a payment via their own app?

If not, then I can see why banks on android don’t bother making their own app. The banks want that info and will be more tempted to leave Apple Pay for their own apps if able.
It works the same way Apple Pay does by using random card numbers and masking your proper details. Google Pay works with every bank. Samsung Pay isn't as widely supported but gets around this by using Curve to amalgamate all your cards.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This is bad: I can imaging banks removing support for Apple Pay and demand customers use their app to pay via NFC. So instead of a nice user journey (double click, swipe, pay) we may well be down the (double click), select bank app, wait ages for bank app to load, log in to bank app, dismiss useless message on bank app, pay. Much like the Tesco Pay+ I never use and I always have to login when trying to use it.

If they do that, then many of us will simply stop using our banks for daily spending (or entirely), using Apple Cash instead. Use your bank app to transfer funds weekly to your Apple Cash or Apple Card and pay with Apple Pay like you’ve always done.

Unless banks are stüpid enough to pull a GM/CarPlay, I can’t see them abandoning a prime placement of their card in our digital wallets.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
If they do that, then many of us will simply stop using our banks for daily spending (or entirely), using Apple Cash instead. Use your bank app to transfer funds weekly to your Apple Cash or Apple Card and pay with Apple Pay like you’ve always done.

Unless banks are stüpid enough to pull a GM/CarPlay, I can’t see them abandoning a prime placement of their card in our digital wallets.
I don't know about that.

Quite a few people rely on credit cards only for all daily spend. I have not carried cash on a regular basis in years. Running all spend through cash back cards earned more than enough in rewards and bonuses to cover most of my holiday spending. I pay my cards off and do not carry a balance so the physical movement of funds to Apple Cash is not the problem, but the loss of cash rebate will likely drive me away from electronic payments if the banks remove support for Apple Pay. I know I will not:
  1. Pull out my iPhone
  2. Unlock it
  3. Find and open a bank application
  4. Open the payment function in said application
  5. Pay by tapping my phone using using the app's functions (assuming this all that is necessary with the bank app)
When today I:
  1. Lift my wrist doubleclicking the Apple Watch button on the way up
  2. Tap my watch on the POS
I don't want to go back to having to pull my physical cards out again but with my use case the rewards outweigh the "convenience" of paying with NFC outside of Apple Pay.

Reactions: strongy

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
This is bad: I can imaging banks removing support for Apple Pay and demand customers use their app to pay via NFC.

Banks already pretty much do that outside the US anyway, except right now they can only offer their app on android and leave iphone users with no way to pay with their phone. BBVA, for example, refused to support apple pay in Spain for years after its launch, and continues refusing to support it in Colombia and Mexico. And just like BBVA there are many other banks doing the same around the world.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021

Apple Cash isn't available in Europe, so that's not really a feasible option outside of the US.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Why would you use your banking app for payments when in a store?

The support should be in the VISA/Mastercard you get from the bank independent of the bank's app.

Because your bank is who issues your card and provides all the support for it. Visa/mc are just payment networks for communication between the store and your bank. Visa/MC don’t deal directly with customers.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
This is bad: I can imaging banks removing support for Apple Pay and demand customers use their app to pay via NFC. So instead of a nice user journey (double click, swipe, pay) we may well be down the (double click), select bank app, wait ages for bank app to load, log in to bank app, dismiss useless message on bank app, pay. Much like the Tesco Pay+ I never use and I always have to login when trying to use it.

There is no inherent reason the system couldn't be designed as user-friendly as it is now. Take password managers for example, where there isn't really a difference between using Keychain or Bitwarden or something else in terms of convenience for most people.

Apple could allow apps to include their payment screens in the double click menu, or allow you to reassign the double click or make it available through the action button including biometric verification as it is now.

The question is whether Apple would do that voluntarily or if regulatory pressures would mean that Apple can't blatantly favour its own service over competitors' to protect Apple Pay.

In any case, the point is that the impact on user convenience is to a large degree in Apple's hands, which is frankly another reason why it is problematic to a degree when the device manufacturer/platform provider competes with others on services.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

I don’t see banks in the US creating their own apps for nfc payments and stopping support for apple pay. If they didn’t do it before apple pay launched (why is when many banks outside the US did it and why those banks refused to support apple pay for years) why would they do it now?

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
This is great news, hopefully we’ll finally be able to get services that include loyalty cards with NFC payments. Apple pay is nice but very limited.

Apple added support for Loyalty cards with nfc in wallet a long time ago, walgreens’ rewards card has been using it for years. Most merchants simply don’t care to use the feature, though.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Oh great the last thing we need is letting the banks create their own payment system! Then they all will drop  Pay their own infer system

I doubt that will happen in the US. The banks complaining about apple’s nfc restrictions, mostly if not all non-US banks, created their own nfc payment systems BEFORE apple pay ever arrived in their country, and were frustrated to have to offer their apps only for android users. And their customers using iphones were frustrated not to be able to pay with their phone while android users did it all the time. None of that ever happened in the US, and doesn’t have to happen now.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Don’t ya just use a banks card through Apple Pay? Who cares otherwise

Outside the US there are lots of banks that still don’t let people use their cards through apple pay. BBVA in Mexico is one example, and it’s the largest bank there by far.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Apple Pay payments made through payment networks, like VISA, or local payment networks where they are available. Payment networks, like VISA, force sellers (shops) to pay a fee when buyers use Apple Pay. VISA then gives a tiny fraction of the payment fee to Apple for using Apple Pay.

That’s a completely false statement. Visa/MC charge merchants (shops) the same fee regardless of whether buyers use apple pay, a contactless card or a chip card. It is the CARD ISSUERS that pay apple a fee to be able to let their cardholders use their cards through apple pay.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Someone gets it right!

They did bother outside the US, and refused to support apple pay and google pay for years because of it.

And paypal already supports adding its card to apple pay, at least in the US.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I’m sure the issue around this has been user privacy. Do any of the payment system competitors now use customer data for targeting advertising?

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

Oh he’s wrong. Lots of banks aroynd the world did bother to create android apps to pay via nfc. Just not any banks in the US.

ApostolisApo

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Gothenburg
Here in Norway the largest bank has never supported Apple Pay. When they bought one of the most innovative banks this year, they revoked Apple Pay for their cards.

The major payment solution (like Apple Cash, PayPal) outside the regular banking system, is owned by the banks!
They have just been waiting for getting access to NFC so their app will work in stores. Many banks will not support Apple Pay or will revoke support.
That happened because Apple is gatekeeping the NFC module. If NFC can work with other standards as well besides Apple Pay, then everyone will opt in. People have become too reliant on double tapping their iPhone / Apple Watch to pay that most of them would never accept to revert back to opening an app to pay. It benefits everyone to open the NFC module.

Reactions: lartola

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
Banks WILL update their apps and stop using Apple Pay. Many local payment methods already use QR codes within their apps to avoid using Apple Pay and the public currently do not mind opening the app to scan the QR code to make payments.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Banks WILL update their apps and stop using Apple Pay. Many local payment methods already use QR codes within their apps to avoid using Apple Pay and the public currently do not mind opening the app to scan the QR code to make payments.

US banks I doubt it. Banks in the rest of the world, maybe. They are already offering their apps on Android anyway, so they’d likely just expand support of those to iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.